• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Blackhawk Serpa vs. Bianchi Carrylok

natehunts

imported post

I need help deciding between the Blackhawk Serpa of the Bianchi Carrylok. I'm sure advice on these two holsters has gone round and round. I am looking for a carry holster with a retention and these two have caught my eye. By appearance and structure it seems that theBianchi holds the gun closer to the body for better concealement. As far as the retention mechanism goes, it seems they are pretty equal. If anyone has any experience with the two some advice would be great. Thanks, Nate

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

natehunts wrote:
I need help deciding between the Blackhawk Serpa of the Bianchi Carrylok. I'm sure advice on these two holsters has gone round and round.

I don't know if it's been "round" much as the carrylock seems to be less popular (therefor less available).

I personally have not seen a carrylok but am interested in hearing the responses myself as I have not found one to put my hands on yet. And I hate ordering holsters without fondling them first. Cause I usually end up reselling them :)

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Pa. Patriot wrote:
natehunts wrote:
I need help deciding between the Blackhawk Serpa of the Bianchi Carrylok. I'm sure advice on these two holsters has gone round and round.

I don't know if it's been "round" much as the carrylock seems to be less popular (therefor less available).

I personally have not seen a carrylok but am interested in hearing the responses myself as I have not found one to put my hands on yet. And I hate ordering holsters without fondling them first. Cause I usually end up reselling them :)

"And I hate ordering holsters without fondling them first"

That don't sound right...:what:...:lol:

natehunts

imported post

If anything I have preferences towards the Bianchi. Only because it's leather which i'm slightly more fond of and it seems that it would hold slightly tighter to the body. However, I do like theSerpa retentionmore I have read nothing but praise over the Blackhawk and really nothing about the Bianchi, so i'm torn. Thanks for the replies so far.

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

natehunts wrote:
If anything I have preferences towards the Bianchi. Only because it's leather which i'm slightly more fond of and it seems that it would hold slightly tighter to the body. However, I do like theSerpa retentionmore I have read nothing but praise over the Blackhawk and really nothing about the Bianchi, so i'm torn. Thanks for the replies so far.

I've had several Bianchi holsters. I liked most of them.
I use a 5BHL and 111cyclone for my "woods" revolvers.

Having always been a "leather" guy I was actually surprised I liked the SERPA.
As you mention it does not ride real close to the body. I only use it for OC so not a biggie.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Pa. Patriot wrote:
Heh, I pick holsters like I pick wives. :lol:

popcorn1.gif

rofl5.gif
rolf.gif

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
HankT wrote:
UTOC-45-44 wrote:
Pa. Patriot wrote:

popcorn1.gif

rofl5.gif
rolf.gif

Heya, UTOC-45-44, you could use one of those Serpas, couldn't ya? I mean, the retention is on those is great.

:D

What ya mean ???

I've got 2 already:lol:

It's about time!

Hate to see one of the good guys losing his .44 mag to some snatching security guard...again.

:cool:

UTOC-45-44

imported post

HankT wrote:
UTOC-45-44 wrote:
HankT wrote:
UTOC-45-44 wrote:
Pa. Patriot wrote:

popcorn1.gif

rofl5.gif
rolf.gif

Heya, UTOC-45-44, you could use one of those Serpas, couldn't ya? I mean, the retention is on those is great.

:D

What ya mean ???

I've got 2 already:lol:

It's about time!

Hate to see one of the good guys losing his .44 mag to some snatching security guard...again.

:cool:

I still carry that one (44Mag) WIDE OPEN...STILL.

Just that IF he decides to take it AGAIN I have the Kimber to show him how Clean a Barrel can be when it's right in front of his EYES:what:...

...:lol:.

(The Holster for the 44Mag has a Leather "string" retention that was not around the hammer at the time @ Harmons with the SG. Now it is.)

para_org

imported post

Um...... I pick neither.

I would pick a level one holster, er something like a Galco paddle with the thumb snap retention. Properly fit it is VERY hard to remove the weapon EXCEPT from the right angle.

Then again I also carry cocked and locked in "ISRAELI" condition, which is also not the norm.

YMMV

VAopencarry

imported post

Serpa(Kydex) is a great holster, the release tab is right where your index finger is indexed, not a good holster for conceal carry. IMO

Bianchi(Leather), release tab not very intuitive, use moddle finger to release, probably a better conceal holster then the Serpa.

natehunts

imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
Serpa(Kydex) is a great holster, the release tab is right where your index finger is indexed, not a good holster for conceal carry. IMO

Bianchi(Leather), release tab not very intuitive, use moddle finger to release, probably a better conceal holster then the Serpa.
So for a guy that wants an opencarryholster with a retention that's decently concealable, what would you suggest?