• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Blackhawk Serpa vs. Bianchi Carrylok

UTOC-45-44

imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
Serpa(Kydex) is a great holster, the release tab is right where your index finger is indexed, not a good holster for conceal carry. IMO

Bianchi(Leather), release tab not very intuitive, use moddle finger to release, probably a better conceal holster then the Serpa.
The Serpa is an AWESOME Open AND Conceal Carry Holster. I CCW EVERYDAY at work and NOBODY notices anything .

unrequited

imported post

You and some of the guys on xdtalk must be wearing Hawaiian shirts all the time because I don't know how you'd even be able to CC with a Blackhawk CQC without one... the muzzle hangs so low.

AbNo

imported post

unrequited wrote:
You and some of the guys on xdtalk must be wearing Hawaiian shirts all the time because I don't know how you'd even be able to CC with a Blackhawk CQC without one... the muzzle hangs so low.

Pants around their nipples. :lol:

molonlabetn

imported post

I use the paddle configuration almost exclusively on my Serpa... I have found that it rides much tighter to my body this way. Concealment is possible, using an oversized shirt, though you may still experience minor printing in some positions.

The SERPA is very strong, and very comfortable... but Bianchi makes good holsters as well, the location of the lock-release would be my only complaint.

para_org

imported post

I dare you to try and conceal a paddle style holster, or something worn 'high and tight' outside the waist band of the pants here in NM.

You are in danger of wilting from the heat or printing unless you are indoors and can afford to dress "heavier".

Grin.... !!

UTOC-45-44

imported post

unrequited wrote:
Depends which muzzle you talk about :p

UTOC-45-44

imported post

unrequited wrote:

In all seriousness..., I wear a T-shirt and maybe a shirt over it.

I choose to carry a Kimber Pro TLE/RL II with a 4inch Barrel because it make a VERY good CCW Firearm

NCHornet

imported post

I CC the majority of the time. I believe retention is still important with CC especially if you are active. The Bianchi Carryloc has become my favorite holster for my G23. The serpa is a good duty holster but it is not a CC holster. I don't like thumb straps at all, they slow the draw to much and can be a pain with gloes or when it's real cold out. The release lever on the Carry Loc is in the perfect location so it is it by using a normal draw. I wouldn't purchase a holster that slowed my draw. I played with the Carry Loc and a dummy Glock for 30 min in the store before buying it. As I said before I highly recommend it and you won't be sorry. I have carried everyday for over a year now. Just wish they made one for my Sig P232.

Myopicvisionary

imported post

Then again I also carry cocked and locked in "ISRAELI" condition, which is also not the norm.

"Cocked and locked" is Condition One

"ISRAELI" is Condition Three

Is anyone else confused by this?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

I have mentioned this before on another thread. I buy any shirt that appeals to me and have it tailored for a couple of bucks to duplicate the square bottom of Hawaian shirts - I hate the patterns on those things. I have a selection of button downs, strips, plaids & solids. They all conceal my full size 1911 in a Serpa holster fine and are still long enough to tuck in for open carry. Try it - you will like it.

Necessity is the mother of invention.

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Myopicvisionary wrote:
Then again I also carry cocked and locked in "ISRAELI" condition, which is also not the norm.

Cocked & locked in Israeli condition would be hammer back, safety on, with an empty chamber would it not:what:
Yata hey

para_org

imported post

Myopicvisionary wrote:
Locked to prevent an accidental discharge of an empty chamber? I'm still scratching my head.
Come on out to the range sometime with me.

I will be happy to go over the various good (and bad) points of such a carry mode. <- We do these discussions and demonstrations in CCW classes all the time. It's fun for the students and the instructors. We go over many different kinds of holstered carry modes and equipment.

(YMMV of course.)

Oh yeah...cocked and locked does not just internally lock the sear movement on a 1911 style/design pistol. It also externally locks the slide from moving back and forth. When the slide is locked into postion, cam-over malfunctions cannot happen.<- And that kind of malfunction often requires field stripping the weapon to clear, OR a very dangerous procedure that violates the gun safety rules.

para_org

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Myopicvisionary wrote:

Cocked & locked in Israeli condition would be hammer back, safety on, with an empty chamber would it not:what:
Yata hey
Yes...exactly that.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

para_org wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
Myopicvisionary wrote:

Yata hey
Yes...exactly that.
I can understand the principle for range safety - perhaps. That said, I would never, never carry a defensive weapon in such a condition. Time is not my friend and time can mean so much! The Israeli's have their reasons for such a mode of carry; however, it does not apply to all situations nor personnel.

Recommended reading: Secrets of Street Survival - Israeli Style
[size="-1"]http://www.amazon.com/Secrets-Street-Survival-Israeli-Civilian/dp/0873648196[/size][size="-1"]
Note: The above link is not posting correctly so that you can click on it. Don't know why.
You'll have to type it in - sorry.
Yata hey
[/size]

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

I'm definitely going to have to cast my vote in favor of the SERPA, while acknowledging it's drawbacks for most folks.

Although the majority of my CCing is done in a 12 dollar Uncle Mike's Sidekick IWB, as shown in the pictures below, with a simply cover garment, and the paddle configuration, it is easy enough to conceal what I would consider to be on the larger end of reasonable CCW handguns (XD .45 Compact) with a CQC.

Again, creativity is the key, and as I am somewhat rounded in my torso area......, the CQC Serpa holds nice and snug to my squishy covering, and the retention system isa stroke of genious. It's super fast, super comfortable, and super strong.

For most smaller guys however, I do concede that it will likely protrude more than a standard pancake holster for OWB.

Attachments

• 100_0907.JPG
    100_0907.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 469

para_org

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
para_org wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
Myopicvisionary wrote:

Yata hey
Yes...exactly that.
I can understand the principle for range safety - perhaps. That said, I would never, never carry a defensive weapon in such a condition. Time is not my friend and time can mean so much! The Israeli's have their reasons for such a mode of carry; however, it does not apply to all situations nor personnel.

Recommended reading: Secrets of Street Survival - Israeli Style
[size="-1"]http://www.amazon.com/Secrets-Street-Survival-Israeli-Civilian/dp/0873648196[/size][size="-1"]
Note: The above link is not posting correctly so that you can click on it. Don't know why.
You'll have to type it in - sorry.
Yata hey
[/size]
The reasonS for using Israeli carry are not what most people think. And the advantages are ALSO not what most people think.

I have not read that book, but in my classes the reasons for and against using it are spelled out in detail INCLUDING the reasons for NOT using Israeli carry. <- Most people should NOT use it BTW. It is NOT for everyone. It requires extensive training and awareness of gun functioning to stay capable with it.

Once incorporated into your muscle memory it DOES HAVE an interesting blend of usefulness.

xmirage2kx

imported post

unrequited wrote:

Some hintsto CC with a large OWB holster:

Shirts +1 size larger

Get shirts in the "tall" size

Jackets/vests/etc

Carry at 5 o'clock instead of 3 o'clock so your shirt tails cover it.

Get a good belt (helps with belt/pant sag)

NCjones

imported post

I have two bianchi carrylok. The serpa is real popular around here. But guns belong in leather! No plastic sissy holsters for me.

I gotta be able to feel the leather. Smell the leather, and hear it creak when I sit down.

Maybe tupperware will come out with a holster for all you plastic fans soon. :D