• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

TGIF: "Definitely can NOT carry in corporate restaurants"

sjhipple

imported post

I got the final word on TGI Friday's policy regarding carrying. They wouldn't give it to me in writing, but did confirm verbally. For CORPORATE stores (the restaurant I was in when detained was a corporate store), you can not carry. Period. I asked the question 25 different ways and got the same answer.

Now, franchise locations will make their own policies, so not all Fridays ban the right of self-defense; just corporate ones.

Is VCDL interested in this info so they can post it on their website? How do people generally get this kinda info to them? (I joined about 2-3 weeks ago...still waiting to get my letter in the mail :celebrate)

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

sjhipple wrote:
Is VCDL interested in this info so they can post it on their website? How do people generally get this kinda info to them? (I joined about 2-3 weeks ago...still waiting to get my letter in the mail :celebrate)

I have already added TGIF to the Gun Owner Unfriendly Establishments List. See http://www.vcdl.org/static/gue.html#TGI Fridays

As for how to get us info, just email me at webmaster@vcdl.org and I will forward anything you send to the appropriate officer or to leadership.

Thanks for joining and being part of the fight to protect our rights!!! :D

sjhipple

imported post

Pa. Patriot wrote:
How do we know if it is Corp or franchised?

I guess I'll continue to OC in TGIF's until asked to leave.

You ask.

Doing it till asked to leave is probably a good rule (unless there's a sign). I'm not going to eat or carry there anymore b/c I've already been asked to leave and don't want to risk the trespass charge.

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

sjhipple wrote:
You ask.

Doing it till asked to leave is probably a good rule (unless there's a sign). I'm not going to eat or carry there anymore b/c I've already been asked to leave and don't want to risk the trespass charge.

Yeah, that's what I was figuring. I don't ask permission to shop/dine/spend my money though so I guess the answer is you can't tell which ones are which.

I don't blame you for not going back, I wouldn't either. I wish these idiots would posts sign for their intent. It would simplify things. I won't OC into a "no guns" zone. It's silly to be told after the fact when you could post rules at the door.

AbNo

imported post

Now, here's the question...

If you are seated by a bunch of Con White restaurant people, and they ask you to leave mid-meal, do you have to pay? :lol:

denwego

imported post

This is news to me... I've OC'ed several times at a TGIF not far outside of Boulder and never had a problem. I've gotten looks from patrons, but the staff has never given a second word.

sjhipple

imported post

denwego wrote:
This is news to me... I've OC'ed several times at a TGIF not far outside of Boulder and never had a problem. I've gotten looks from patrons, but the staff has never given a second word.
The anti-self defense policy only applies to corporate stores. Franchises make their own rules.

Bubba Ron

imported post

AbNo wrote:

If you are seated by a bunch of Con White restaurant people, and they ask you to leave mid-meal, do you have to pay? :lol:
Please excuse my ignorance, what are "Con White restaurant people"?

As to this thread in general, if you don't like the answers to your questions regarding whether a restaurant permits Open Carry or not- Stop asking them!!! Most people don't even notice....

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

AbNo wrote:

I don't think it would equitable to be expectedto pay. But this should be negotiated with the manager who is asking you to leave. By negotiated, I mean simply that you should inform that it payment would not be equitable and that you strongly feel payment under those circumstances is inappropriate. The manager will very likely agree. But, if the waitstaff has been of service, don't forget to leave a reasonable tip for them if they did not play a part in kicking youout. Don't stiff them. If the manager insists that you pay, you should pay under protest. Make them wrap up the food, pay with a credit card, get the manager's name and any other important details for your complaint to regional/corporate. You then have a two point valid complaint: getting kicked while being legal and being charged for service and food you were not able to consume. It will look more egregious to corporate guy handling the complaint and you will definitely look reasonable for having forked overf payment in the first place.

You will get your $ back.

Oh, and leave the food behind. Don't take it with you.

sjhipple wrote:
denwego wrote:
The anti-self defense policy only applies to corporate stores. Franchises make their own rules.

From a customer point of view, it doesn't make sense to have a split policy on this kind of issue--company vs. franchisee stores. It is pretty much an untenable position. The customer can't be expected to know which stores are which. It would be an embarassing policy to defend. Therefore, the complainant has some leverage in a well-planned and executed complaint effort...

Oh, and a comment on the OP's excellent handling of the complaint so far, I would add that talking about the real nub of the issue and not getting sent something in witing is a poor response from TGIF. This illustrates the deficiency of handling this part of a complaint on the phone. TGIF shouldbe tasked to identify its policy, whatevcer it is, in writing. This is where a formal letter (not an e-mail) of complaint or inquiry is much better than the informality of a telephonic exchange or even a FTF conversation. If one writes a letter and asks some firm to specificallyidentify and justify their policy and they try to wiggle out of doing so in their written reply, the attempt is highly visible, and you can throw back their words at them. Companies, like some Internet forum posters, don't like to defend stupid stuff they say. The company's second and third responseswill usually get more extreme, the logicstretched anddistraction-filled. This makes it easy to attack with somecalm, sensible, and logical requests to answer the initial question/complaint.

The responders to the complaintwill paya price for their policy and their unwillingness to take a stand by formalizing it in writing, in a letter. That may be the best you can do with the issue, but it may actuallyinstigate somediscussion in the company to do the right thing, whatever it is, for the customer. Restaraunt companies, in particular, doexpend a lot of effortin handling complaints. If you know this, you can very often get what you want by being calm, observant, precise and persistent.

AbNo

imported post

Bubba Ron wrote:
Please excuse my ignorance, what are "Con White restaurant people"?

Servers and Seaters in Condition White, while working in a restaurant.

http://www.teddytactical.com/SharpenBladeArticle/4_States of Awareness.htm

CONDITION WHITE- White is the lowest level on the escalator. In Condition White one is unaware, not alert, oblivious. This state can be characterized as "daydreaming" or "preoccupied". People in White tend to walk around with their heads down, as if watching their own feet. They do not notice the impending danger until it literally has them by the throat.

You see examples of this frequently. When was the last time you saw someone in traffic roll right up to a barricade or stalled vehicle, then expect you to stop and let them into your lane? They're operating their vehicle in Condition White. When a motorist runs over a motorcyclist and kills him, what are the first words out of their mouth? "I didn't see him." They're not lying. They were so inattentive and complacent that they did not notice a 200-pound man on a four hundred pound machine right in front of them. When this same guy runs past a stop sign and broadsides your car, killing your child, he will say, "I didn't see it.".

These same guys will be the victims of violent crime, because the criminal targets the inattentive, the complacent, the lazy, the distracted, the preoccupied. Why? Because the criminal wants to get to him, get what he wants from him, and get away from him, without being hurt or caught. Who would be the easiest person to do that to? Someone in Condition White. I'm sure you've seen or read about the Miranda card police officers carry. From it they read off a suspect's rights before questioning him. Dedicated victims carry a similar card in their pockets. If they are still alive when the police arrive, they take this card out of their pockets and read from it, as follows:
" Geez, it all happened so fast.
He materialized right next to me.
I never saw him.".

So, when would it be acceptable to be in Condition White? When in your own home, with the doors locked, the alarm system on, and your dog at your feet. Then, you can turn off your mind, if you wish, because you have sufficient layers of protection and warning to enable you to get up, get your gear, and get your head running. If you leave your home, you leave Condition White behind. The instant you leave your home, you escalate one level, to Condition Yellow.

I admit, I had to look this up over the weekend, I didn't know my color codes. :uhoh:

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

IANAL Re 'trespass', I don't believe you can be charged without prior 'effective notice'. It likely varies among jurisdictions but there are plenty of legal-beagles here.

Effective notice is what the first cop ensures - not a mere sign or rumor.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$