Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock 27 , SA XD40SC , Taurus CIA, or Kel-tec P3AT

Post imported post

I've narrowed it down some,lol. I'm looking into the Glock, Springeild,Taurus, and Kel-tec for my concealed carry. I will concealed carry sometimes,I know,I'm sorry guys. My cz will do the trick at times, but I also need a smaller guy as a BUG for OC, or as a main CC during the summer.

--SAXD40

*PROS: Much better ergonomics > glock, grip safety,easier to see loaded chamber indicator, firing pin indicator .40 S&W round, decent price,plenty of aftermarket support

*CONS: holster availability? reliability? longetivity?

--Glock 27

*PROS: Its a glock, reputation, good ergonomics, excellent reliability and holster availablity

*CONS: budget. safety > on SA

--Taurus CIA revolver

*pros: .38 special +p or .357 is a proven self-defense ammo, cheap, stone reliable, tons of carry options

*cons: I don't like the overall lack of a safety, ergonomics, capacity

--Kel-Tec

*Cheap, reliable, great warrenty/rep, extremely concealable, most carry options

*low capacity, low 'stopping power'

What else should I consider? I think I need to go rent some,and see what I think. I am leaning towards springfield right now.

Post imported post

The G27 would probably be my choice of those, simply because I've used a a couple glocks (G19, G23) and found them to be nice to shoot. I don't like the glock in .40 very much from a results standpoint as I couldn't hit anything with it, which is a bit scary. I imagine that it was either the gun not being sighted properly or "user error". I had no trouble with an .45 ACP (M1911) or 9mm (G19), so I don't know what the deal was.

---

Have you considered a Sig? They make quality pistols like the P239 (available in 9mm, .357 SIG, and .40 S&W). It's only 6.6" long, which is barely 0.3" longer than the subcompact glocks. According to Wiki, "...the P239 has become quite popular in the United States as a concealed carry pistol."

http://www.sigarms.com/Products/Show...9&productid=71

Post imported post

Nope. I don't like SIG, chesterfield county just got new shipments of SIGS,and is having off the chart problems with them like never before...

Post imported post

Well, the XD is a remake of the HS2000, and those have been around a while.

The fact it's also in use by a lot of PD's both in the US and abroad gives it a bit of credit, I would think.

I'd say it's as reliable, if not moreso, than a Glock, without the snobby Glock friends that go with it

The only problem I've had with mine, other than needing a refinish (mine's a pre-2006), was a couple of FTE's after it had been sitting unused for 8 months. A cleaning and a few dabs of oil, and I haven't had a problem since.

Holsters? I've had no problem finding holsters for my XD.

Longevity? A few of the guys on XDTalk have mentioned putting an OMG number of ruonds through theirs, with no problems.

Then again, maybe I'm just biased.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

A month ago I just picked up the SA XD-40 SC. Lots of power, and not to much recoil. It just fit great in my hand. Easy to control.

Post imported post

I had a Glock 26, recently upgraded to the G39.

I would go with the Glock over the other choices you mentioned. I would never carry a Kel-Tec.

Post imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
    I had a Glock 26, recently upgraded to the G39.

I would go with the Glock over the other choices you mentioned. I would never carry a Kel-Tec.
    Again, Glock snobbery.

Just picking on you, NS.

Post imported post

Nah, snobbery is recommending an HK.

Post imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
    Nah, snobbery is recommending an HK.
    Good gear. Over-the-top price.

Post imported post

XD XD XD! Replace 45 with 40 heh.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum5/4001.html#p60377
    -Unrequited

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

Im not sure why lack of a safety on a CIA bothers the OP, 3 out the 4 choices have no external safety lever. I have a P3AT and it is a gun I carry the most, via pocket carry holster. I just got my G27 and its a great shooter but I haven't broken it in enough to carry yet. I would move up from the CIA to a S&W 642 or 442, better design I think. If you look hard you might find an old S&W 40 Centennial with a grip safety if thats important to you, a very cool gun too.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post imported post

Well I did it. I bought a p3at today, I said for many years on the day I turn 21 I'm getting a handgun:celebrate. Wasn't even planned! I ended up fairly near my fav. gun store,and when I saw it in the case ...well the little guy just followed me home! I swear

If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

Agent19 wrote:
    If I was in the market for a new gun this would be it.

You have the option of a full or compact griphttp://www.springfield-armory.com/xd.php?version=113
    yeah I really like the SAXD, that will be my next on ...lol oh god I'm addicted already:shock:

My current collection:

CZ40P

Kel-Tec p3at

Saiga Izhmash .410

Armscor AK/22

Post imported post

Speaking of snobbery, I can't help snickering at the "pros" and "cons" listed above, specifically "it's a glock" listed as a pro for Glocks. A tad self-serving, eh?

-ljp

Post imported post

Legba wrote:
    Speaking of snobbery, I can't help snickering at the "pros" and "cons" listed above, specifically "it's a glock" listed as a pro for Glocks. A tad self-serving, eh?

-ljp
    Lol what you said always makes me think alot of times people buy certain brand cars or whatever just so they can say "yeah I drive a bimmer"

Post imported post

Ghettokracker71 wrote:
    Well I did it. I bought a p3at today, I said for many years on the day I turn 21 I'm getting a handgun:celebrate.* Wasn't even planned! I ended up fairly near my fav. gun store,and when I saw it in the case ...well the little guy just followed me home! I swear
    I'm the same way. In fact, I started lining up a purchase a couple days prior to my birthday so I could get it purchased exactly on it. We don't have any gun shops in my town, so I didn't have the option of simply walking into a store and getting something. I had to find an FFL (there's only 3 in town) and have them order it for me.

Have fun and good luck!

Post imported post

Ghettokracker71 wrote:
    *yeah I really like the SAXD, that will be my next on ...lol oh god I'm addicted already:shock:

My current collection:
    If you don't have one, try and get the Compact in whatever barrel length you are looking for.

Then, get the full-size mags with grip extensions.

Two guns in one! :celebrate

Post imported post

I have a Glock 27. While it's concealable and very light way, I will admit I do have a problem hitting targets a bit far out. I am sure with more practice I will have no problems hitting a good grouping at 25 yards. But then again, God forbid you ever need to use your pistol, do you think you'll have the luck of being that far? If so, run!

Post imported post

Hopefully everyone gets a lot more use of their firearms while enjoying the relaxing sport of target shooting than they do in a self defense role.

Post imported post

G27 wrote:
    I have a Glock 27. While it's concealable and very light way, I will admit I do have a problem hitting targets a bit far out. I am sure with more practice I will have no problems hitting a good grouping at 25 yards. But then again, God forbid you ever need to use your pistol, do you think you'll have the luck of being that far? If so, run!
    Advice given to me: Start at 10 yards until you get *really* nice at that distance.

Then 15, then 20, 25, until it starts getting into Longarm range.

Post imported post

Started breaking in the Kel-tec! w00t! Shot 100 rounds of cheapo walmart winchester ammo last night in her, not a single stovepipe, FTE, or FTF. My hands a little sore, but I have to admit, I do enjoy shooting it.

Post imported post

Is it Tuesday yet?

Post imported post

hlh wrote:
    Ghettokracker71 wrote:
    Started breaking in the Kel-tec! w00t! Shot 100 rounds of cheapo walmart winchester ammo last night in her, not a single stovepipe, FTE, or FTF. My hands a little sore, but I have to admit, I do enjoy shooting it.
    It kicks like a mule! It's not really meant to be comfortable enoughto be shot too many times in a row.
    Haha yeah. It was quite funny to see the look on my range buddies face,...Hes got alot to learn (as do I .) . He had been joking on the compact size and etc the whole way up to the range, but his tune changed after he ran a mag through it.

Post imported post

hlh wrote:
    AbNo wrote:
    Is it Tuesday yet?
    Tuesday?*
    Specifically Tuesday the 28th....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast