• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Glock 27 , SA XD40SC , Taurus CIA, or Kel-tec P3AT

Ghettokracker71

imported post

I've narrowed it down some,lol. I'm looking into the Glock, Springeild,Taurus, and Kel-tec for my concealed carry. I will concealed carry sometimes,I know,I'm sorry guys. My cz will do the trick at times, but I also need a smaller guy as a BUG for OC, or as a main CC during the summer.

--SAXD40

*PROS: Much better ergonomics > glock, grip safety,easier to see loaded chamber indicator, firing pin indicator .40 S&W round, decent price,plenty of aftermarket support

*CONS: holster availability? reliability? longetivity?

--Glock 27

*PROS: Its a glock, reputation, good ergonomics, excellent reliability and holster availablity

*CONS: budget. safety > on SA

--Taurus CIA revolver

*pros: .38 special +p or .357 is a proven self-defense ammo, cheap, stone reliable, tons of carry options

*cons: I don't like the overall lack of a safety, ergonomics, capacity

--Kel-Tec

*Cheap, reliable, great warrenty/rep, extremely concealable, most carry options

*low capacity, low 'stopping power'

What else should I consider? I think I need to go rent some,and see what I think. I am leaning towards springfield right now.

Particle

imported post

The G27 would probably be my choice of those, simply because I've used a a couple glocks (G19, G23) and found them to be nice to shoot. I don't like the glock in .40 very much from a results standpoint as I couldn't hit anything with it, which is a bit scary. I imagine that it was either the gun not being sighted properly or "user error". I had no trouble with an .45 ACP (M1911) or 9mm (G19), so I don't know what the deal was.

---

Have you considered a Sig? They make quality pistols like the P239 (available in 9mm, .357 SIG, and .40 S&W). It's only 6.6" long, which is barely 0.3" longer than the subcompact glocks. According to Wiki, "...the P239 has become quite popular in the United States as a concealed carry pistol."

http://www.sigarms.com/Products/ShowCatalogProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=9&productid=71

AbNo

imported post

Well, the XD is a remake of the HS2000, and those have been around a while.

The fact it's also in use by a lot of PD's both in the US and abroad gives it a bit of credit, I would think.

I'd say it's as reliable, if not moreso, than a Glock, without the snobby Glock friends that go with it :lol:

The only problem I've had with mine, other than needing a refinish (mine's a pre-2006), was a couple of FTE's after it had been sitting unused for 8 months. A cleaning and a few dabs of oil, and I haven't had a problem since.

Holsters? I've had no problem finding holsters for my XD.

Longevity? A few of the guys on XDTalk have mentioned putting an OMG number of ruonds through theirs, with no problems.

Then again, maybe I'm just biased. ;)

IanB

imported post

I had a Glock 26, recently upgraded to the G39.

I would go with the Glock over the other choices you mentioned. I would never carry a Kel-Tec.

AbNo

imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
I had a Glock 26, recently upgraded to the G39.

I would go with the Glock over the other choices you mentioned. I would never carry a Kel-Tec.

Again, Glock snobbery.

Just picking on you, NS. :lol:

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Im not sure why lack of a safety on a CIA bothers the OP, 3 out the 4 choices have no external safety lever. I have a P3AT and it is a gun I carry the most, via pocket carry holster. I just got my G27 and its a great shooter but I haven't broken it in enough to carry yet. I would move up from the CIA to a S&W 642 or 442, better design I think. If you look hard you might find an old S&W 40 Centennial with a grip safety if thats important to you, a very cool gun too.

Attachments

• SW_40..JPG
    SW_40..JPG
    15.7 KB · Views: 1,443

Ghettokracker71

imported post

Well I did it. I bought a p3at today, I said for many years on the day I turn 21 I'm getting a handgun:celebrate. Wasn't even planned! I ended up fairly near my fav. gun store,and when I saw it in the case ...well the little guy just followed me home! I swear:lol:

Legba

imported post

Speaking of snobbery, I can't help snickering at the "pros" and "cons" listed above, specifically "it's a glock" listed as a pro for Glocks. A tad self-serving, eh?

-ljp

Ghettokracker71

imported post

Legba wrote:
Speaking of snobbery, I can't help snickering at the "pros" and "cons" listed above, specifically "it's a glock" listed as a pro for Glocks. A tad self-serving, eh?

-ljp
Lol what you said always makes me think alot of times people buy certain brand cars or whatever just so they can say "yeah I drive a bimmer":banghead:

Particle

imported post

Ghettokracker71 wrote:
Well I did it. I bought a p3at today, I said for many years on the day I turn 21 I'm getting a handgun:celebrate.  Wasn't even planned! I ended up fairly near my fav. gun store,and when I saw it in the case ...well the little guy just followed me home! I swear:lol:

I'm the same way. In fact, I started lining up a purchase a couple days prior to my birthday so I could get it purchased exactly on it. We don't have any gun shops in my town, so I didn't have the option of simply walking into a store and getting something. I had to find an FFL (there's only 3 in town) and have them order it for me.

Have fun and good luck!

AbNo

imported post

Ghettokracker71 wrote:
 yeah I really like the SAXD, that will be my next on ...lol oh god I'm addicted already:shock:

My current collection:

If you don't have one, try and get the Compact in whatever barrel length you are looking for.

Then, get the full-size mags with grip extensions.

Two guns in one! :celebrate

G27

imported post

I have a Glock 27. While it's concealable and very light way, I will admit I do have a problem hitting targets a bit far out. I am sure with more practice I will have no problems hitting a good grouping at 25 yards. But then again, God forbid you ever need to use your pistol, do you think you'll have the luck of being that far? If so, run! :D

Particle

imported post

Hopefully everyone gets a lot more use of their firearms while enjoying the relaxing sport of target shooting than they do in a self defense role.