• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Two stories, one good, one so-so.

armedinrichmond

imported post

A few days ago, I went down to Nags Head, NC with my girlfriend for some fun in the sun. We stopped at the Border Station on the VA/NC border (awesome place if you've never been. Half the store's in VA, and half is in NC. Fireworks are illegal in VA, but you can buy them just over the line, in the same aisle.) Anyway, you have to pay for the fireworks on the NC side in a tobacco shop. I was OCing and had my girlfriend with me. As we paid, I noticed the cashier's eyes shift toward me, my gun, and my girlfriend several times. When I finished paying, she asked, "Just out of curiosity, why do you have a gun on your waist?" I replied with the standard "personal self-defense" line, and left. When we got back to my car, my girlfriend told me that the entire time we were there, the cashier was looking at her with a "are you okay?" look, like I was trying to kidnap her. I got a kick out of it.

When we got back to Virginia, I stopped in the Wawa on Rt. 10 near the Chippenham onramp to buy snacks. A guy saw my gun, and we got into a discussion. Turns out he'd just bought a Glock 26 from Southern Gun World, same place I got my XD. He asked me what I had to do to obtain an open carry license, and I told him that in the great state of Virginia, all he had to do was own a gun. He looked interested, and I think I eventually convinced him to OC.

OBXMIKE

imported post

That's funny! With Blackwater right down the road, you'd think they would be used to seeing armed folk pretty frequently. Guess you shudda worn the 5.11 tacticals to blend in with the locals!(lol)

I've open carried in there a few times, usually just in and out for a drink or gas on the way to or from the range. I don't think anyone's ever noticed I was armed. That place stays pretty busy with all the beach-goers this time of year. With all the "northern migrants" stopping there, I'm surprised nobody fainted or ran screaming.......:lol:

Tomahawk

imported post

armedinrichmond wrote:
"Just out of curiosity, why do you have a gun on your waist?"
"Well, I used to stick it to my forehead, but it was a little awkward. Next I may stick it in my buttcrack and see how that works out..."

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
SNIP OHH GaD! Don't you know that it is UNSAFE to carry a gun anywhere near your spine? You might fall and hurt yourself!

OK. Who is going to say, "It wouldn't affect Tomahawk's spine if he fell. Lets just say he would get a concussion?"

I know I am not going to be the first to say it, or even the second. He's pretty handy with wickedly devastating come-backs.

:p

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Citizen wrote:
OK. Who is going to say, "It wouldn't affect Tomahawk's spine if he fell. Lets just say he would get a concussion?"
So much for your "I'm gonna be a little angel" strategy.
Well, yes. Good point. Needs more work. :)

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Sometimes you get lucky though, one time I got caught on the 4th of July by an Arlington County Fire Marshal. I was in possession of about 200 M-80s in a paper grocery bag. He let me go with the M-80s and a warning not throw them at anyone. This was almost 20 years ago though.

AbNo

imported post

fairfax1 wrote:
zoom6zoom wrote:
Fireworks are illegal in VA
Not exactly. Only certain types are illegal. The main restriction is that they can only be sold during certain weeks during the year.
Anything that you set off that someone says "Dude, that was awsome," Virginia frowns upon.

True story, I was buying fireworks while OCing.

I found out I couldn't buy bottle rockets, roman candles, or mortar shells.

Me: "Remind me why I live in this state again?"
Shayne: "Because of THIS. *points at my XD*

:lol:

boomcat

imported post

longwatch wrote:
Sometimes you get lucky though, one time I got caught on the 4th of July by an Arlington County Fire Marshal. I was in possession of about 200 M-80s in a paper grocery bag. He let me go with the M-80s and a warning not throw them at anyone. This was almost 20 years ago though.
Two hundred M-80s in a paper bag! Those were the days. We used to light 'em and then toss 'em in the ocean, like little depth charges.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
OHH GaD! Don't you know that it is UNSAFE to carry a gun anywhere near your spine? You might fall and hurt yourself!

Safety is a good tool for tyrants. No one can be against safety.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$
I fell once and had a radio about right where some people carry there firearms, I had blood in my urine for the rest of the day, wasn't painful but my back sure hurt...

armedinrichmond

imported post

OBXMIKE wrote:
That's funny! With Blackwater right down the road, you'd think they would be used to seeing armed folk pretty frequently. Guess you shudda worn the 5.11 tacticals to blend in with the locals!(lol)

I've open carried in there a few times, usually just in and out for a drink or gas on the way to or from the range. I don't think anyone's ever noticed I was armed. That place stays pretty busy with all the beach-goers this time of year. With all the "northern migrants" stopping there, I'm surprised nobody fainted or ran screaming.......:lol:
ion
I was carrying with my Blackhawk Serpa holster. Kudos to the guy at SGW who sold it to me. Young guy, looked about my age, very knowledgeable. I was originally looking for a leather paddle holster, but he convinced me to get the Blackhawk. Excellent holster, much better than the non-retention deal that came with my XD's Fobus.

AbNo

imported post

armedinrichmond wrote:
Funny.  I managed to buy a box of mortar rounds and another box of M-80s while OCing.  Never got a second glance. :)

Where?

It's not as though the fireworks guys were stopping us. They didn't HAVE them, and said they couldn't sell 'em before they even noticed.

Though a woman working the register did stare a lot. I made sure to smile REAL nice for her. :lol:

armedinrichmond

imported post

I don't recall the name of the place, but even though this is probably off-topic, it was at a HUGE fireworks place, just off SC (85) Exit 2, I think.

I felt like a criminal after I got back and read the ridiculous SC open carry and all-around gun laws, but the guy at the counter seemed like he wanted business no matter what the penalties might be.

And I've come to the conclusion that there should be an amendment other than the famous second, saying that open carry is totally legal and accepted within the 48 states, if not the 50. It's stupid to me to think that we can carry openly in a handful of states without worry, but the vast majority of states are ******* communists when it comes to our gun rights. It's a disgrace.