• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Snohomish County sheriff's race

just_a_car

imported post

Right Wing Wacko wrote:
It would be interesting to see their responses if the original inquiry led them to beleive the writer was Anti-Gun. I would guess the responses would be entirely different.
Sounds like a great idea you have there... I'm pretty sure their emails are fairly easy to find on their websites. Go for it! ;)

gregma

imported post

John Hardin wrote:
Tom Greene has replied:

Carrying a weapon openly in public will cause public alarm as it is rare to see someone do it, so we have to be prepared for the 911 calls and a balanced and measured response.
Wow, Snohomish county must be awefully different. I have openly carried all over King County and have YET to experience this "alarm" he states WILL CAUSE. *sigh*

John Hardin

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
Right Wing Wacko wrote:
It would be interesting to see their responses if the original inquiry led them to beleive the writer was Anti-Gun. I would guess the responses would be entirely different.
Sounds like a great idea you have there... I'm pretty sure their emails are fairly easy to find on their websites. Go for it! ;)
I tried to word my initial question as neutrally as possible - but that may have been the problem, as anti-gun types tend to be rather hysterically emotional... :cool:

Their email addresses are in the first post to this topic.

John Hardin

imported post

Tom Greene has replied:

John,

Thanks for your reply. By balanced and measured response I mean that I would expect my deputies to handle the 911 call and do a complete investigation. That means talking to all parties involved. I would expect them to approach the person with the gun cautiously. Once they ask a few questions and learn that the person is exercising their legal right to carry the gun openly without intimidating or threatening anyone, then they should inform the complaining party that the person with the gun is in compliance with the law. Just because someone calls 911 and says they are alarmed by someone else openly carrying a firearm, doesn't mean a law is being broken. However, we do have a responsibility to investigate.

Yes, I would see that a training bullitin about open carry is issued to SCSO personnel.

Tom
Rating: :D

I'm going to drop one more note to John Lovick and see if I can get a statement this clear from him as well.

John Hardin

imported post

One more email to John Lovick:

Rep. Lovick:

Sorry to bother you again, but if possible I'd like to get (in writing) your position on open carry. Our discussion on the phone touched on this issue, but I would feel more comfortable not relying on my memory of the conversation...

Subsection (1) of RCW 9.41.270 currently reads:

(1) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, exhibit, display,
or draw any firearm, dagger, sword, knife or other cutting or
stabbing instrument, club, or any other weapon apparently capable of
producing bodily harm, in a manner, under circumstances, and at a
time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another
or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons.

Will you describe what you consider to be a proper response by an officer observing open carry or to a 911 "man with a gun" call involving peaceful open carry?

And, do you plan on producing training materials for the SCSD similar to the training bulletins issued by (for example) the KCSD?

The KCSD training bulletin, as well as ones from several other jurisdictions, are available at:

http://www.washingtonceasefire.net/content/category/5/24/32/

Thanks again for your time.

just_a_car

imported post

YES!!!

Thanks John, that just solidly affirms my decision for Tom Greene.
Heck, he even said he'd make sure there was a training bulletin issued!!! :monkey

amlevin

imported post

John Hardin

I noticed that you have made reference to the KCSD "Training Bulletin". It has been noted earlier that this "Bulletin" was merely a draft and has not been signed off on or circulated as an Official Bulletin.

For the sake of accuracy, you may wish to refer to it as a "proposed training bulletin".

John Hardin

imported post

amlevin wrote:
John Hardin

I noticed that you have made reference to the KCSD "Training Bulletin". It has been noted earlier that this "Bulletin" was merely a draft and has not been signed off on or circulated as an Official Bulletin.

For the sake of accuracy, you may wish to refer to it as a "proposed training bulletin".
Argh. That sucks.

Thanks for the warning.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Actually, the more accurate statement is "Training test". And it was issued two months ago.

Sorry I didn't notify anyone, it slipped my mind.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Ok, I am an idiot.

Does the Sheriff's Office work that if no one has the majority, they go on to the general election in a runoff.

We already have Greene in our corner in getting a training bulletin out. I can make contact with Mr. Lovick myself and see if we can get in with the same thing.

Sometimes it's best to get the ear of both candidates.

just_a_car

imported post

Well, for sheriff, they've counted 61,496 out of 339,754 ballots issued.

I'm not going to be too worried until at least 30% come in....

Edit: Sorry, the total returned is
66,338, therefore 92.7% of the votes in the Sheriff race have been counted.

The remaining 4,000+ votes could easily swing the favor towards Greene, since Lovick only leads by about 2,100.

John Hardin

imported post

BTT, as the election is a few days away now...

I just sent this to John Lovick:

Rep. Lovick:

The general election is fast approaching, and I thought I'd take this one last opportunity to ask you again the following questions. There are many firearm owners in the county who are interested in this matter, and I will be publishing your answers for them to see.

(1) What do you consider to be the proper response by an officer observing a citizen engaged in open carry of a firearm when no overtly malicious behavior is evident?

(2) What do you consider to be the proper response by an officer to a 911 "man with a gun" call?

(3) Do you consider it appropriate for a 911 operator taking a "man with a gun" call to determine whether any overtly malicious behavior is evident, and if none is evident to educate the caller that merely engaging in peaceful open carry of a firearm is lawful behavior?

(4) Will you pledge to produce training materials for the SCSD similar to the training materials issued by other jurisdictions (such as the KCSD), and instruct your deputies that peaceful open carry is lawful and by itself is not grounds for detaining, disarming or arresting a citizen?

Thank you for your time and attention, and good luck in the election.
As soon as I get a response I'll post it here. If I don't get a response by Friday I'll post that too.

amlevin

imported post

For those that think Greene might be a better choice answer this. Why are the Deputies, through their association, endorsing Greene? Could it be that when he was in charge of the North Precinct nobody could stand him. Or when they transferred him to the South Precinct the same thing happened? Even the Everett Herald is against him.

If you want more of the same from your Snohomish County Sheriff then Greene is your man. If you at least want change, Lovick may not be the best alternative but he is far better a choice than Greene.

At this stage of the game you won't get answers on OC from either candidate. The issue is not high on their "end game" strategy list.

FWIW, Greene is no friend of the Gun Community.