• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Spotted Nessie Tonight

IanB

imported post

[font="arial,sans-serif"][size="-1"] [/size][/font]
u·ni·corn (yn-kôrn)

NOUN: 1. A fabled creature symbolic of virginity and usually represented as a horse with a single straight spiraled horn projecting from its forehead.
2. A patriotic American who carries a firearm openly on ones person while out in public.

loch·ness mon·ster (lŏkh-ns mnstr)

NOUN: 1. A cryptid, claimed to inhabit Scotland's Loch Ness, the most voluminous freshwater lake in Great Britain.
2. A patriotic American who carries a firearm concealed on ones person while out in public, but does such a bad job concealing it the informed onlooker can spot the weapon.

Was at Subway in Annandale tonight (Bradlick Shopping mall) and as I walked in the door I noticed a young guy doing a poor job CC'ing a handgun on his right side. (I always check out everyone when I walk into a business) By young, I mean this guy barely looked 21. He was wearing shorts and a t-shirt. The t-shirt was pulled over a ballistic nylon holster, which was peeking out the bottom of his shirt by about two inches. The butt of the gun was printing big time as well, judging by the size it was a compact class pistol like a Glock 19. I tried to get a look at the bottom of the holster, it had some identifying company stitching on it, but my stare made the guy nervous and he put his right hand in his shorts pocket, covering the gun with his forearm. I know he saw me looking at it, and I know I made him nervous that I had "made" him out. I don't think he's one of us, I've never seen him before. I almost asked him what he carries, but I didn't want to freak him out any more than I already had.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I may be a 'nessie' myself sometimes. Also do fanny pack carriers or tac vest guys count as nessies? I'd say talk to him but then again I haven't gotten the nerve to ask the guys with the vests and fanny packs if they are heeled myself.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
[font="arial,sans-serif"][size="-1"] [/size][/font]
u·ni·corn (yn-kôrn)

NOUN: 1. A fabled creature symbolic of virginity and usually represented as a horse with a single straight spiraled horn projecting from its forehead.
2. A patriotic American who carries a firearm openly on ones person while out in public.

loch·ness mon·ster (lŏkh-ns mnstr)

NOUN: 1. A cryptid, claimed to inhabit Scotland's Loch Ness, the most voluminous freshwater lake in Great Britain.
2. A patriotic American who carries a firearm concealed on ones person while out in public, but does such a bad job concealing it the informed onlooker can spot the weapon.

Was at Subway in Annandale tonight (Bradlick Shopping mall) and as I walked in the door I noticed a young guy doing a poor job CC'ing a handgun on his right side. (I always check out everyone when I walk into a business) By young, I mean this guy barely looked 21. He was wearing shorts and a t-shirt. The t-shirt was pulled over a ballistic nylon holster, which was peeking out the bottom of his shirt by about two inches. The butt of the gun was printing big time as well, judging by the size it was a compact class pistol like a Glock 19. I tried to get a look at the bottom of the holster, it had some identifying company stitching on it, but my stare made the guy nervous and he put his right hand in his shorts pocket, covering the gun with his forearm. I know he saw me looking at it, and I know I made him nervous that I had "made" him out. I don't think he's one of us, I've never seen him before. I almost asked him what he carries, but I didn't want to freak him out any more than I already had.
Well if he had a license/permit -- how does it matter?

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

He might not have had a permit and wouldn't be happy at being outed as a criminal.

IanB

imported post

On one hand, it doesn't. VA is an OC state, so him exposing the firearm isn't an issue.

On the other hand, why bother concealing if you are going to be sloppy about it and do a sub-par job that exposes the weapon? I was CC'ing too, but I guarantee neither he or anyone else in there had any idea.

HOLYROLLER

imported post

I wondered about that very scenario. I live in an OC state (WA) and I have a CWP. If I am CCing and my weapon is partially exposed or poorly concealed, have I broken the law?:question:

Tomahawk

imported post

I'm sure I print sometimes, especially in the summer, when I'm wearing an undershirt and a T-shirt for cover. Why not OC, then? Sometimes I'm not in the mood for attention. Most of the people who are scared of guns won't notice printing, and those who do notice (like you)usually don't care.

DeerForce1

imported post

I have days when i do what i call sloppy CC. Basically this means i carry concealed but don't really worry to much about whether i'm printing a little or if my slightly over sized shirt is a little to short & lets the tip of my holster peek out. Jeans, 6 pocket camo pantsor shorts & a tee shirt are my normal dress w/ an owb holster.

You would be suprised at how few people will notice something like that. Most people are trained to go around in condition white & don't have a clue. Those of us who carry are generally much more observant & aware of our surroundings & will pick up on these things.................................................................DF1

DeerForce1

imported post

HOLYROLLER wrote:
I wondered about that very scenario. I live in an OC state (WA) and I have a CWP. If I am CCing and my weapon is partially exposed or poorly concealed, have I broken the law?:question:

I'm no lawyer but if your in an open carry state i don't see how printing or partial exposure could be breaking the law.............................................................DF1

Tomahawk

imported post

About the tip of the holster: It's so common for people to carry cell phones or PDAs on their belts these days, it's no wonder the average non-carrier wouldn't give it a second thought when they see it.

TrueBrit

imported post

I have to admit that I am sometimes guilty of "indifferent concealed carry", usually when an unbuttoned coat covers my rig on a cold day.

Here in KY, no big deal, and the CDWL covers me.

Nonetheless, Nekkid's OP has given me food for thought.

Perhaps CONCEALED really ought to be CONCEALED?

Is it not possible that unintentional "flashing",or careless CC, could possibly alarm folks rather more than OC, which is unmistakeable and unambiguous? Might the sight of an indifferently concealed gun generate more "MWAG" calls than plain old OC?

I am not too sure about this, what do y'all think about it?

TrueBrit.

HOLYROLLER

imported post

TrueBrit wrote:
I have to admit that I am sometimes guilty of "indifferent concealed carry", usually when an unbuttoned coat covers my rig on a cold day.

Here in KY, no big deal, and the CDWL covers me.

Nonetheless, Nekkid's OP has given me food for thought.

Perhaps CONCEALED really ought to be CONCEALED?

Is it not possible that unintentional "flashing",or careless CC, could possibly alarm folks rather more than OC, which is unmistakeable and unambiguous? Might the sight of an indifferently concealed gun generate more "MWAG" calls than plain old OC?

TrueBrit.
Agreed. The impression may be that you are trying to hide something (besides the gun).

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

TrueBrit wrote:
Might the sight of an indifferently concealed gun generate more "MWAG" calls than plain old OC?

I've had a CC permit for about 8 years and I've always been a "sloppy concealed carrier" since Virginia is an open carry state. I find that a deeply concealed gun is very uncomfortable. I've never ever had anyone confront me or call the police though. Several times people have noticed my gun and commented on it, but I wouldn't call that a confrontation.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Of course there is this one other aspect.

If you are in a 7-Eleven or that sort of public venue, and a police officer notices, you might get a demand from himto see your CHP.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

longwatch wrote:
He might not have had a permit and wouldn't be happy at being outed as a criminal.
I thought most of us were in agreement that criminals do not use holsters?? :p

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Tell, him, "Sure officer. I keep it taped to the inside of my holster."

Sounds good on the surface.

LEO229's reply would just be, "I'll check it after I run your serial number." :)

chesire17201

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
Tell, him, "Sure officer. I keep it taped to the inside of my holster."

Sounds good on the surface.

LEO229's reply would just be, "I'll check it after I run your serial number." :)
you guy's are lucky I wasn't drinking anything when i read that, or i'd be sponsoring a "new computer" fundraiser, cause it surely would have been spit everywhere with how hardI laughed..........but on the topic at hand, i think i'm guilty of sloppy CC as well, but agree that most people just don't notice.....

teknoid

imported post

I dress for my comfort, not other peoples. OC is legal, so if it shows/prints- big fat hairy deal. It has been in the mid to high 90's and humid for a while here. If I DO conceal it, the cover will be thin.