Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: New mental health restrictions?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Catasauqua, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    3,047

    Post imported post

    Today I went to the gun show at the Schnecksville Fire Company on 309. I just went to look...

    As the gentleman was having me fill out the forms for my SKS (sigh), I mentioned something about how the form seemed different from a year ago. He said that it isn't different yet, but starting in September they're supposed to start using a new form that is almost the same, except for some changes to the mental health portion of it. I didn't ask for details, but it got me curious.



  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Richmond, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    534

    Post imported post

    imperialism2024 wrote:
    Today I went to the gun show at the Schnecksville Fire Company on 309. I just went to look...

    As the gentleman was having me fill out the forms for my SKS (sigh), I mentioned something about how the form seemed different from a year ago. He said that it isn't different yet, but starting in September they're supposed to start using a new form that is almost the same, except for some changes to the mental health portion of it. I didn't ask for details, but it got me curious.

    I guess that you are referring to the infamous Form 4473, Sir?

    The form that wants to know the ins and outs of a cat's ass reference your lawful purchase of a firearm,from a FFL holder, or licensed dealer? Too much like de facto registration for my blood!

    My brother in England tells me that nowadays, the Brit shooters have to be" certified sane" by a doctorto get their Firearms and Shotgun Certificates renewed! Another knee jerk reaction to isolated incidents of dingalings running amok!

    Could the proposed changes in the form 4473, if they come about, be such a reaction in response to the VT tragedy?

    All the more reason to buy ones guns through private sales, if possible,IMHO!No business of anyone's what guns a man chooses to own!

    TrueBrit.





  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Catasauqua, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    3,047

    Post imported post

    Yes, yes, the 4473. I was just surprised because to my knowledge, PA hadn't passed any of those "you can never ever own a gun if you've so much as mentioned that you're sad on your MySpace page" bills.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,169

    Post imported post

    imperialism2024 wrote:
    Yes, yes, the 4473. I was just surprised because to my knowledge, PA hadn't passed any of those "you can never ever own a gun if you've so much as mentioned that you're sad on your MySpace page" bills.
    The 4473 is an ATF (i.e. federal) form. A change in state law would not cause the form to be altered. I am unaware of any change like the one described occuring during the last year. Can you post the actual language that concerned you and the version date of the form? (You did keep a copy, didn't you?)

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Catasauqua, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    3,047

    Post imported post

    apjonas wrote:
    imperialism2024 wrote:
    Yes, yes, the 4473. I was just surprised because to my knowledge, PA hadn't passed any of those "you can never ever own a gun if you've so much as mentioned that you're sad on your MySpace page" bills.
    The 4473 is an ATF (i.e. federal) form. A change in state law would not cause the form to be altered. I am unaware of any change like the one described occuring during the last year. Can you post the actual language that concerned you and the version date of the form? (You did keep a copy, didn't you?)
    Oh, I wasn't using the new 4473 yet, it had just been so long since I filled one out that it looked different, but I was mistaken. He mentioned that there will be a form that is supposed to be used beginning in September.

    AH-HA! After some deep googling:

    Question 11.f. The revised question reads as follows: “Have you ever been adjudicated mentally defective (which includes a determination by a court, board, commission, or other lawful authority that you are a danger to yourself or to others or are incompetent to manage your affairs) OR have you ever been committed to a mental institution?”
    According to: http://tractioncontrol.well-regulatedmilitia.org/?p=531

    So apparently they're just clarifying the question. Not restricting anything... yet.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •