• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New mental health restrictions?

imperialism2024

imported post

Today I went to the gun show at the Schnecksville Fire Company on 309. I just went to look...

As the gentleman was having me fill out the forms for my SKS (sigh), I mentioned something about how the form seemed different from a year ago. He said that it isn't different yet, but starting in September they're supposed to start using a new form that is almost the same, except for some changes to the mental health portion of it. I didn't ask for details, but it got me curious.

:question:

TrueBrit

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
Today I went to the gun show at the Schnecksville Fire Company on 309. I just went to look...

As the gentleman was having me fill out the forms for my SKS (sigh), I mentioned something about how the form seemed different from a year ago. He said that it isn't different yet, but starting in September they're supposed to start using a new form that is almost the same, except for some changes to the mental health portion of it. I didn't ask for details, but it got me curious.

:question:

I guess that you are referring to the infamous Form 4473, Sir?

The form that wants to know the ins and outs of a cat's ass reference your lawful purchase of a firearm,from a FFL holder, or licensed dealer? Too much like de facto registration for my blood!

My brother in England tells me that nowadays, the Brit shooters have to be" certified sane" by a doctorto get their Firearms and Shotgun Certificates renewed! Another knee jerk reaction to isolated incidents of dingalings running amok!

Could the proposed changes in the form 4473, if they come about, be such a reaction in response to the VT tragedy?

All the more reason to buy ones guns through private sales, if possible,IMHO!;)No business of anyone's what guns a man chooses to own!

TrueBrit.

imperialism2024

imported post

Yes, yes, the 4473. I was just surprised because to my knowledge, PA hadn't passed any of those "you can never ever own a gun if you've so much as mentioned that you're sad on your MySpace page" bills.

apjonas

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
Yes, yes, the 4473. I was just surprised because to my knowledge, PA hadn't passed any of those "you can never ever own a gun if you've so much as mentioned that you're sad on your MySpace page" bills.
The 4473 is an ATF (i.e. federal) form. A change in state law would not cause the form to be altered. I am unaware of any change like the one described occuring during the last year. Can you post the actual language that concerned you and the version date of the form? (You did keep a copy, didn't you?)

imperialism2024

imported post

apjonas wrote:
imperialism2024 wrote:
The 4473 is an ATF (i.e. federal) form. A change in state law would not cause the form to be altered. I am unaware of any change like the one described occuring during the last year. Can you post the actual language that concerned you and the version date of the form? (You did keep a copy, didn't you?)
Oh, I wasn't using the new 4473 yet, it had just been so long since I filled one out that it looked different, but I was mistaken. He mentioned that there will be a form that is supposed to be used beginning in September.

AH-HA! After some deep googling:

Question 11.f. The revised question reads as follows: “Have you ever been adjudicated mentally defective (which includes a determination by a court, board, commission, or other lawful authority that you are a danger to yourself or to others or are incompetent to manage your affairs) OR have you ever been committed to a mental institution?”
According to: http://tractioncontrol.well-regulatedmilitia.org/?p=531

So apparently they're just clarifying the question. Not restricting anything... yet.