• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

3 Killed in Mo. Church Shooting

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20070812/D8QVOHO00.html wrote:

[font="Verdana,Sans-serif"][/font]
Aug 12, 6:23 PM (ET)

NEOSHO, Mo. (AP) - A gunman opened fire in the sanctuary of a southwest Missouri church Sunday, killing three people and wounding several others, a city spokeswoman said.

About 25 to 50 people were briefly held hostage at the First Congregational Church until the gunman surrendered, Neosho spokeswoman Desiree Bridges said.

Fewer than 10 people were also shot and wounded, Bridges said.

The shooter was being held at the Newton County Jail, but police were not releasing any information about him. Bridges said he was related to someone in the church, but declined to elaborate.

Bridges said the shooter had three firearms, but wouldn't say what type. The shooting followed the 1 p.m. service.
[font="Verdana,Sans-serif"]
[/font]Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$

AbNo

imported post

Well, Tomahawk, what about the question of...

Are there laws in Missouri prohibiting the shooting of other people that are minding their own business?

Because we can SEE how well it worked here....:banghead:

Tomahawk

imported post

AbNo wrote:

Are there laws in Missouri prohibiting the shooting of other people that are minding their own business?

Obviously the shooter is in violation fo the law.

My question is to determine if the state has prohibited the victims from proper self-defense.

AbNo

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
AbNo wrote:

Obviously the shooter is in violation fo the law.

My question is to determine if the state has prohibited the victims from proper self-defense.

Which ties into what I was trying to reiterate.

Gun laws only stop GG's.

TrueBrit

imported post

I am probably the worst Catholic since Ghengis Khan, but these church shootings are surely some of the mostdastardly outrages that can happen to folks.

Here in KY, CC in church with a CDWL is legal.Truly unconscionable that one should even have to consider such a practice, but there it is. Dunno about OC, somewhat innapropriate, maybe?

I once saw an off duty plain clothes cop at a FUNERAL, clad in a polo shirt and jeans, badge on belt, complete with sidearm, nonetheless. I think that I was most apalled by the fact that he saw fit not to wear a dark suit, but maybe I am just being snobby here.

Only in Kentucky, boys....

TrueBrit.

Kendo_Bunny

imported post

Actually, some churches do allow OC, depending on where you are and what church you're attending. I've heard of some where a male parishioner would no more consider entering church without his gun then he would without his pants. I've also heard of certain denominations blessing firearms.

No one OC's at my church- though I think a few people CC. I guess it is more respectful to not be drawing attention to the fact that you have a gun- I know a few people in my parish leave their guns in the car during services.

AbNo

imported post

I'm no expert on the subject, but doesn't God help those that help themselves?

I would say carrying is like work ethic.

You can't expect someone else to do it for you.

hogleg

imported post

Churches in MO. are apart of the do not carry list just like schools. Only a 100 fine if they call cops. nothing aboutOC but I imagineit would be frowned upon in any church around here.

Kendo_Bunny

imported post

It's really up to the congregation. I know one member for certain carried a gun everywhere, but left it in his car during services. He just felt it was more respectful to enter the house of the Lord unarmed. As far as I know, though, our priest doesn't have a problem with it (Anglican).

AbNo

imported post

hogleg wrote:
Churches in MO. are a part of the do not carry list just like schools. Only a 100 fine if they call cops.   nothing about OC but I imagine it would be frowned upon in any church around here.

I guess now they need to make a law saying you can't shoot people, too.

Oh wait, there already is one. :cuss::banghead::cuss::banghead::cuss::banghead:

hogleg

imported post

At only a $100 fine, only if the cops are called. I would take that.

I wonder who suggested adding churches to the mix of banned places anyway. A few of ourlarge churches around here have actual city police inthe lobby. Not due to crime but due to the potential of a massacre. Still know of many CCing at the same church.

Hey, they actuallly have a gun parade and all the branches of the militaryin thechurch on memorial day.

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

My wife and I both open carry. At church we conceal. Why? Because our message of liberty and defense of life is less important than a message of Eternal Life and we don't want to distract anybody from hearing it.

LoveMyCountry

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

LoveMyCountry wrote:
My wife and I both open carry. At church we conceal. Why? Because our message of liberty and defense of life is less important than a message of Eternal Life and we don't want to distract anybody from hearing it.
Nicely said.

tarzan1888

imported post

HankT wrote:
LoveMyCountry wrote:
Nicely said.

HankT

There you go getting me to agree with you again. :what:

UTOC-45-44

imported post

tarzan1888 wrote:
HankT wrote:
LoveMyCountry wrote:
Nicely said.

HankT

There you go getting me to agree with you again. :what:

tarzan1888..., What th H**l is wrong with you?:p:p:p

SFDoc

imported post

LoveMyCountry wrote:

LoveMyCountry

My wife and I do the same for the same reason. I’m no Bible scholar by any means, but here is some food for thought for those wondering about carrying in church:

A man is worse than a infidel if he does not provide for the needs of his family (I Timothy 5:8), in my view the family of God is your family

Jesus told his followers to sell their coat and buy a sword if they didn’t have one (Luke 22:36 - 38)

Jesus told Peter to put his sword away after he cut off the ear of a servant when he (Jesus) was arrested. Jesus didn’t condemning him for having it (Matthew 26:52)

During the American Revolution, some of the preachers were often refereed to as those black robed instigators (or something like that) by the Brits. After services, the congregation (those that were members of the militia) and the preacher (many were officers in the militia) would go outside after service with their arms and drill or fight. Where do you think "Give 'em Watts boys, give'em Watts,came from. Thank God they didn’t have the so-called rev. Jackson and Sharpton back then.

My father (who became a preacher after WW II) always kept a .32 semi-auto in his inside coat pocket. He was one of the few preachers in West Virginia and later in Virginia that allowed blacks in a "white" church. Back in the 50s and 60s, he had more than one run in with KKK. There was more than once the church received threats if he performed a wedding for a black couple. Pop would have his trusty .32 and a double barrel under the pulpit, half of the congregation would show up armed to make sure nobody interfered.

Deacons of Rev. King also served as his armed bodyguards

Now we have terrorist groups thatbelieve that anyreligion but theirs should be wiped outand criminals coming into our churches just to murder people. If the preacherhas a problem with my having the means of defending myself, my family and the church, they can have my blessings and I’m going somewhere else.