• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

COPS is such trash

vrwmiller

imported post

So, I am flippin' through the channels...and I pass by Court TV, which I watch from time to time. An Episode of COPS is on. The particular scenario they are executing is that there are 3 men in a vehicle and it appears that one of the men in the vehicle has a hostage at gun point....

LE shows up on the scene and the witness explains what she saw and points them to a group of males leaving a home. LE then approach the males, guns drawn, ordering them on the ground.

They admit to the scenario and explain the gun was in the car. One of the LEO retrieves the gun, which was BB gun and places it on the top of the vehicle. They tell them male subject to get up, all the while they were explaining that they agreed they should not have done what they had done.

Then the LEO picks up the BB gun off the roof of the vehicle and points it at one of the male subjects saying "What would you think if you witnessed something like this?"

IT MAKES ME ABSOLUTELY SICK that there are LEO that would point a gun (not their own) at a subject, regardless of the type, to explain to them something about a particular scenario is wrong.

Excuse me while I go vomit....

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

vrwmiller wrote:
So, I am flippin' through the channels...and I pass by Court TV, which I watch from time to time. An Episode of COPS is on. The particular scenario they are executing is that there are 3 men in a vehicle and it appears that one of the men in the vehicle has a hostage at gun point....

LE shows up on the scene and the witness explains what she saw and points them to a group of males leaving a home. LE then approach the males, guns drawn, ordering them on the ground.

They admit to the scenario and explain the gun was in the car. One of the LEO retrieves the gun, which was BB gun and places it on the top of the vehicle. They tell them male subject to get up, all the while they were explaining that they agreed they should not have done what they had done.

Then the LEO picks up the BB gun off the roof of the vehicle and points it at one of the male subjects saying "What would you think if you witnessed something like this?"

IT MAKES ME ABSOLUTELY SICK that there are LEO that would point a gun (not their own) at a subject, regardless of the type, to explain to them something about a particular scenario is wrong.

Excuse me while I go vomit....
I guess its kind of bad, but there is worse. Tell me how your lunch tastes the second time!:p

nickerj1

imported post

I get a kick out of the helicopter camera shots. Apparently every news station in the country has the same exact guy narrating police chases. Or wait, maybe COPS just hired one guy to do the dub overs. :?

LEO 229

imported post

COPS is great for what not to do.

As far as pointing a BB gun... not a real violation since it is not a firearm. But I would try to not get in the habit of pointing anything at anyone that does look like a gun.

People that did not know it was a BB gun will think the cops are pointing a real gun while admonishing the guy.

Tomahawk

imported post

Well, we did shoot each other with BBs as kids...but I would advise against it.

You'll shoot your eye out, kid!

XmasStory.jpg

TrueBrit

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:

As far as pointing a BB gun... not a real violation since it is not a firearm. But I would try to not get in the habit of pointing anything at anyone that does look like a gun.

People that did not know it was a BB gun will think the cops are pointing a real gun while admonishing the guy.

You make a good point, Sir, but I really have to ask you this question:

What would be the outcome if a citizen were to point a BB gun at a cop?

Not a realviolation,since it is not a firearm?

I would bet a large wad that this unwise citizen would get smoked in short order, and justifiably so, IMHO. The cop would have no way of knowing that he was facing a "non firearm", surely?

The third sentence of your post is a masterly understatement! The late Col. Jeff Cooper's four rules of gun safety come to my mind. Your first sentence is even more apt.

Maybe I am missing something here, but I dunno what, exactly.

Best wishes,

TrueBrit.

ProguninTN

imported post

I agree with the above posters. Even a BB gun can cause injury, therefore attention to muzzle direction is important.

Progun

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

TrueBrit wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

I would bet a large wad that this unwise citizen would get smoked in short order, and justifiably so, IMHO. The cop would have no way of knowing that he was facing a "non firearm", surely?

The third sentence of your post is a masterly understatement! The late Col. Jeff Cooper's four rules of gun safety come to my mind. Your first sentence is even more apt.

Best wishes,

TrueBrit.
I know a lot of the airsoft guns have orange tips -- however some of them look quite real and do not even have orange colored tips.

I think it would be even more justified in a municipality that has an ordinance pertaining to air guns/bb guns.

LEO 229

imported post

TrueBrit wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

Best wishes,

TrueBrit.

If it looks like a gun.. toy, BB, or real... and you point it at a LEO... I guarantee your going to be dropped! :uhoh:

You can be charged with brandishing too. Youcan point a hollow pipe at someone and if they think it is a shotgun.. you can be charged!

But as I said... Even if you know it is a fake, broken, or unloaded.... never point it at anyone just a a good practice.

Mainsail

imported post

I always found the funniest part of COPS is when they ask to search the car and the driver agrees. Then they find drugs or an illegally carried gun and arrest him. He will always say, “That’s not mine man!”

I suppose it’s a good thing the crooks are ignorant of their rights, but one would assume that a guy with a record would know better.

ChinChin

imported post

I recall one episode where the police had two your street toughs pulled over, and (shocker) they ran. A foot pursuit began and the police followed one of the two around a house and tackled. The police were mic'd for the cops camera, although the camera operator had a difficult time keeping up. On their mic's you could hear the distinctive sound of skin on skin punches being thrown. As the camera man rounded the corner you caught a glimpse of a dogpile, and one of the officers yells "CAMERA." The officers quickly got off the suspect and walked away.

I also remember one episode where one guy driving an older model cadalic actualy said "No, i don't consent to you searching my car." I was shocked that they actualy came across somebody who had some brains. My hopes were dashed when he asked to get a pack of cigerettes out of the car, and the officer standing with him asked to look through the pack before handing it over. The guy said "ok" and sure enough there was weed inside.

and he was off to such a good start!

Erus

imported post

Saw this episode last night.. The goofs in the car needed a good lesson in how NOT to handle ANY firearm.. (ok a bb gun, but still...) and the cop showed them just how STUPID PEOPLE handle them.

Pissed me off big time... The cops partner gave them the old "decided not to haul you in speech" then the first cop (who pointed the gun and talked about how he would shoot the guy in his ear if he reached for it, etc.. told his Sarge(?) they're just rich kids.. no need to take em in.. they know why not to play with guns now that a police officer has pointed one at them...

EGAD

Placementvs.Calibur

imported post

All the more reason to carry a firearm. The cops aren't there to protect you rather they're there to protect themselves and to uphold the "law". That cop should've been reprimanded/sued for that on air stunt. Always treat a gun as if it was loaded, and in this case it's an object which releases a projectile aka "firearm", "weapon". We know what it is. As civilized people who exercise our right to OC we know that cops are notthe law and that we're doing our part just like they are.;)

doug23838

imported post

Placementvs.Calibur wrote:
SNIP... That cop should've been reprimanded/sued for that on air stunt.
Concurr 100%. I saw this same episode in the past weekend and thought everything that has already been said here.
Imagine being Dad and looking out the window and seeing a cop cover your kid with the muzzle of a gun...... The officer's widow would receive a nice insurance settlement.

The TV show COPS does NOTHING to portray police in a positive manner. Sure these folks often deal with the worst society has to offer. But it seems to me that all these TV cops understand is "GET ON THE GROUND. GET ON THE GROUND. DO IT NOW" yelling at people. And my favorite "WALK BACKWARDS TO THE SOUND OF MY VOICE" I have to wonder how much of it is "for the camera" vs. reality.

Ever see "Naked Cops" edition? These cops have to go wrestle down some drugged up weirdos that are naked. Man.. they haven't printed enough money yet.

Tomahawk

imported post

ChinChin wrote:
As the camera man rounded the corner you caught a glimpse of a dogpile, and one of the officers yells "CAMERA." The officers quickly got off the suspect and walked away.
Wow. So waht you're saying is that having NSL around with his camera really is a good idea...

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

I have to say that COPS is quite entertaining... especially when someone gets tased, you know how they give them the warning and then a one second wait to comply, then boom TASER!

A lot of the stuff they do is probably for the camera, but the people they are dealing with do not always comply easily.

You also only see 30 minutes of this stuff at a time, I would venture to say that they deal with this crap on a day in day out basis, and that if you aren't extremely care 100% of the time, something will sneak up and bite you. Now sure some of what the do is past the line, but aside from all the smoke and mirrors I think they are usually reasonable in their force.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
ChinChin wrote:
As the camera man rounded the corner you caught a glimpse of a dogpile, and one of the officers yells "CAMERA." The officers quickly got off the suspect and walked away.
Wow. So waht you're saying is that having NSL around with his camera really is a good idea...
Sorry -- NSL?

markheck1

imported post

nickerj1 wrote:
I get a kick out of the helicopter camera shots. Apparently every news station in the country has the same exact guy narrating police chases. Or wait, maybe COPS just hired one guy to do the dub overs. :?
Actually, since chases happen most in LA, the same reporter calls a bunch of them of them. I fully expected to see a chase when I visited the wifes sister, but all we saw were homeless people

Tomahawk

imported post

openryan wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
ChinChin wrote:
Sorry -- NSL?
nakedshoplifter

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
No its not! Nakedshoplifter gets everybody else prohibited from the cookies!