• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC experiences

IdahoCorsair

State Researcher
imported post

Though the difference is like $19.99 at SW, and roughly $15 at WM. Well, I'm willing to pay more to support a better place.

sccrref

imported post

LoveMyCountry wrote:
IdahoCorsair wrote:
I for one, have boycotted WM for a long time. Dang, if their whitebox isn't the cheapest, but I'm tired of supporting BOX stores who don't give a darn about their customers.
I've seen those same Winchester White Boxes at Sportman'sWarehouse in Coeur d'Alene. Walmart sucks and Sportman'sWarehouse is gun friendly.

LoveMyCountry
Not sure if you have a Dick's Sporting goods store nearby but the one here in Va Bch, VA often has their Remington 9mm rounds on sale for just under $7 for a box of 50. Most times you have to buy a case to get the sale price.It works out well for me as I feed myGlock's quite often and theylove everything that I feed them. Also, I have never had a problem OCing in the store.

Saint

imported post

OCed into Washington Mutual and the Eagle Public Library. No problems anywhere. The teller at the bank was the one who usually helps me and she was friendly and helpful as always.

Saint

imported post

Ok so it's been quite a while since my last post. Just been to busy. But here's a quick catch up

I have been OCing whenever I get a chance which is not a lot because guns are banned both at BSU and at my job (Olive Garden)

However, I make a weekly trip to Washington Mutual to deposit my paychecks and have still never had any probblems with my obvious Glock 19. I did run into a co-worker there who asked me about the gun and I had a brief oppurtunity to talk with her and educate her about Idaho gun law.

In addition, I have OCed into several gas stations, and into Red Robin, Quizno's and a couple coffee shops in the downtown area.

One of the most receptive places I have found for OCing is Sturman's Smoke Shop in Boise. Not only does Sturman's have a fantastic selection of cigars and pipes, they have never said a word about me or any of my friends walking in with our guns. Very helpful and great products.

The last place I have been promoting gun awareness is at Cornerstone, a bookstore right at the edge of the Boise State Campus. Myself and one other friend of mine carry almost ever day there, which allows us to educate and provides a great forum to BSU students. The owner is a personal friend of mine and he's totally supportive of 2A awareness.

Anyways.. .that's the basics. I will be at a Ron Paul Rally later today where myself and one or two other people will be OCing as we hold signs. And I'm also working on the logistics for a campus wide empty-holster protest as well as an open carry demonstration . I'll keep you all posted.

Saint

imported post

OCed at the Ron Paul rally tonight along with Idaho Corsair and his brother. No probblems at all. We ended up handing out a lot of literature and bumper stickers. No one at the campaign was the least bit phased by the guns and we had no trouble at all from any of the people we talked to or who saw us standing on the street. Great experience overall.

Ron Paul for President 2008!:celebrate

Attachments

• Ron paul 2.jpeg
    Ron paul 2.jpeg
    27.1 KB · Views: 618

bourneshooter

imported post

Saint wrote:
...I have been OCing whenever I get a chance which is not a lot because guns are banned both at BSU and at my job (Olive Garden)...
I had no Idea that Olive Garden didn't approve of guns. I OC'd in there about a month ago for an saturday afternoon meal with my whole family - (Total of 8). No body asked me about it, or questioned it.

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

bourneshooter wrote:
Saint wrote:
...I have been OCing whenever I get a chance which is not a lot because guns are banned both at BSU and at my job (Olive Garden)...
I had no Idea that Olive Garden didn't approve of guns. I OC'd in there about a month ago for an saturday afternoon meal with my whole family - (Total of 8). No body asked me about it, or questioned it.
It might be that employees can't carry but customers can do what they like.

LoveMyCountry

Saint

imported post

The policy definately bans weapons to be carried by employees. As far as I know there is no written policy regarding customers, but I have heard from many people that they have had a negative experience at Darden resteraunts. However, I would LOVE to see people come in carrying. Most of my co-workers know that I carry outside of work and are neutral if not supportive.

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

I know I don't live in Idaho, but here in Las Vegas, I OC in Olive Garden all the time. Never had an issue. Actually, in the past 4 years here in Vegas I have been asked not to carry again in 1 hippy mart... I was allowed to continue shopping, but just not to carry in there again. That's fine, there is another place to buy organic food that is perfectly fine with me OCing.

Saint

imported post

I am very much in favor of attempting to do an OC event at Olive Garden. I am not entirely sure of what my manager's would do, and I know i would be unable to carry regardless of whether or not I was on duty that day, but it would be a really great event. Anyone else interested in trying to set up an OC dinner/lunch?

Saint

imported post

OCed into Cabelas tonight to pick up an extra mag for my Glock. At the front door I was stopped by the greeter who told me I was going to have to check my firearm with him. (I have OCed more than a dozen times in there since they changed their policy to follow state law without a probblem)

I told him I would not check my gun with him and that unless the corporate office had changed their national policy in the last 24 hours, that he had no authority to tell me to check my gun.

At this point he dialed up his floor manager to ask him what to do. At the time he stated that 'I'll call my manager but he's just gonna tell you the same thing I am'

When the manager picked up on the other end, the kid had barely gotten out the words 'open carry firearm' before he was told flatly that it was perfectly fine for me to be there and that I was NOT to be asked to check my firearm. I proceeded from there with my shopping experience and after I checked out I asked to speak with the floor manager.

As it turns out, the guy on duty was one who I have interacted with quite a bit before. I believe his name is Trent? Great guy, very friendly and professional. He recognized me instantly and appologized for the greeter stopping me. He said that they had just recently hired a bunch of new people for the holiday season and that some of them were still unclear as to policy. He also promised that he would make a special point of explaing to all the employees at the next training meeting that OC was perfectly fine in their store.

After talking with him for a few more mins (he had some new guns that he'd shot recently he wanted to tell me about:p) I left and headed over to the bank

Great experience at Washington Mutual as always. Friendly staff and no probblems with my firearm

Saint

imported post

The other day I OCed into Sturman's Smoke Shop in Boise to purchase some cigars. Although I am a fairly regular customer, Mr. Sturman had never noticed my firearm before. When he saw it last week, he proceeded to strike up a conversation about it, during the course of which he expressed his extreme support for my OCing and even pulled out his own Glock 23 from under the counter to show to me. As he put it 'if anything happens, I want someone like you around'

If you enjoy a good cigar or pipe, Sturman's not only carries fantastic products with great service, but is about as gun-friendly as it gets. :lol:

silver nekode

imported post

I OC'ed at Cheveron, Jacksons, and Maverick in Caldwell the other day, i rarely get many looks in the gas stations around here though.

Surprisingly enough, I OCed for about 2 hours in the Caldwell WalMart yesterday and noone said a word to me, and I saw two employees notice the firearm. I was even sitting down in the vision center picking up my contacts that i had ordered and nothing. I have to admit, I went there expecting trouble but in the end I was impressed. This is the way OC should go.

Saint

imported post

Went shooting yesterday with six friends up towards Hidden Springs. We blew up a bunch of pumpkins and just had fun. :p

During the last week I OCed into both the Eagle Public Library and the Boise Public Library to do research for a paper I am writing. No problems at either place.

OCed into Cabellas and looked at AR-15's for a while. No problems as usual.

Saint

imported post

OCed quite a bit today...

Started the day OCing at Cornerstone after classes were over. The normal crowd there are all used to my carrying and were positive as usual. I did have an oppurtunity to talk for a few mins to a guy I hadn't met before who was positive to the OC idea.

From there I went to the Piehole in downtown Boise for pizza. I have OCed there about 5 or 6 times now with no probblems and today was no differant. Great pizza, fun place.

Next was Veritas coffee shop on Chinden. The owner is a friend of mine and has often seen me carry in the store. Talked with him for a few mins about getting his CCW and spent about 2 hours talking philosophy and politics with a couple friends (also sat out in front and smoked my pipe for a while) No negative comments as usual.

I then went and got my hair cut at Fantastic Sam's in Eagle. No weird looks or mention of my firearm was made and I got a great haircut.

My last OC of the day was actually the most surprising.

I OCed into Imperial Tattoo and Body Piercing to get my ear pierced and had absolutely no probblems. The service was exceptional and the care that they take to ensure a safe and clean enviroment was very comforting. There was nothing said about my gun even though it was impossible for them to miss (I had a piercing artist working on my as I was laid on a table with my gun still on... very obvious) Just friendly, proffesional service. I would HIGHLY recomend them to anyone wanting a tattoo or piercing.

So all in all... a great day in Idaho for OC. We shall see what tomorrow brings

BrianEMT

imported post

You know it's actually pretty nice to hear your experiences, I can get a pretty clear understanding on who approves or who are real sticklers about it...

You go to the Towne Square much?

Although the Walmart I am across, although I have yet to OC in there, rarely hires employees with an IQ higher than FIVE, I wouldn't be surprised if I get approached a few times there...

IndianaBoy79

imported post

Hello everyone...
New to Idaho and the Eagle/Boise area. Glad to see there are people willing to exercise their rights still. I work at a local store in Eage (can't say on a public post as carry is against store policy for employee's on the clock). I'd love to meet up with some of you in the area. I've always been weary of open carry (myself that is, not others doing so) and it would certainly make me feel more comfortable to test the waters with people already used to the idea. You're certainly welcome to OC in my store anytime. I don't mind customers being my "equal" as I'm packing too. :) Idaho has been great to me since I arrived in June. I recently received my CWL and it only took about 30 days after the appication. Officers I've met in the area (and I know most of the ones in town now and the area county cops) have been very supportive of the idea of citizens defending themselves and have even pointed out places for me to go shooting and get practice. Drop me a line sometime as I'd love to meet you all.