• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC experiences

Saint

imported post

Well I decided that I've been doing this enough now that I can start logging my OC experiences here. So I'll be using this thread to keep everyone updated on where and when I OC, and any confrontations or encounters I am involved in. Feel free to comment! :)

Saint

imported post

Ok so here's my first post.

Tonight I was going out to meet a couple of close friends at Firebird Raceway to see the Nightfire event. I was running low on gas so I decided to stop at Albertsons and fill up. As I got out of my car at the pump, the woman in the car behind me looked at me and asked if my gun was real. I replied that 'Yes Ma'am it is'. She then asked why I was carrying and I replied that it was for lawful self defense. As soon as she heard that she turned away and went inside the gas station.

As it so happens, the automated network that controls all the gas pumps crashed at this point and I went inside to find out why my debit card wasn't working. When I got in, I noticed two employees both look at my gun, but neither said anything about it. They explained that the network had crashed and then helped me in obtaining some cash back with my debit card. I went back outside at this point at the same time as the female emplyee who was leaving to put up "out of order signs" on all the pumps. As I walked back to my car she smiled at me and said I had caused quite a stir and had given her a good laugh that night.

When I asked her what she meant, she said that the lady who had oridginally asked me about the gun had come inside the station and told everyone that "there is a man out there with a gun on his hip!" and that "as she was 64 years old she knows better than that" and that "she was going to have to buy a gun now just to protect herself from crazy people like me". ;)

The employee had then informed her that not only is OC legal, but that many people in the state of Idaho carry a weapon and that it was not a big deal. The customer left in a bit of a huff and the employees all laughed about it.

I talked to the employee for a few more mins and she was very positive about OC and defensive carry in general.

I ended up buying my gas at Maverick which I OCed into but no one said anything about the gun.

When I finally got to the race track I decided to CC as some of the people I was there with were rather sensative to the OC issue and also because there was a LOT of drunk people there and I didn't want to be walking around and have someone try something stupid. A very good evening overall

HardChrome

imported post

Saint wrote:
Ok so here's my first post.

Tonight I was going out to meet a couple of close friends at Firebird Raceway to see the Nightfire event. I was running low on gas so I decided to stop at Albertsons and fill up. As I got out of my car at the pump, the woman in the car behind me looked at me and asked if my gun was real. I replied that 'Yes Ma'am it is'. She then asked why I was carrying and I replied that it was for lawful self defense. As soon as she heard that she turned away and went inside the gas station.
I have a CWP but I often OC, especially in cases like gas stations. I get looks occasionally but about the only question I get is "are you a police officer?" I just say no and go on about my business. I think that makes them wonder but not want to get any closer. :)

Not many people OC around here although it is somewhat accepted. I just get a lot of looks. I did get approached by a team of security guards at a local mall once. They asked me to leave. I was leaving already but they followed me out to make sure.

I had been CC but I think a customer may have gotten a glimpse and reported me.

Saint

imported post

OCed into the Eagle Public Library today. Was there for about 45 mins looking at guns magazines and picking out a couple new books and CDs. No probblems at all. Not even any comments or strange looks from other patrons in there. Pretty much an ideal trip. :D

IdahoCorsair

State Researcher
imported post

Keep it up man! I just started keeping an OC/gun carry log in an excel sheet! Oh, gotta go update it! Thanks for reminding me!

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

Saint wrote:
OCed into the Eagle Public Library today. Was there for about 45 mins looking at guns magazines and picking out a couple new books and CDs. No probblems at all. Not even any comments or strange looks from other patrons in there. Pretty much an ideal trip. :D
I've got to get a definative answer about packing in my local Library. Although, the banana does like to go for a ride.
:celebrate

LoveMyCountry

Saint

imported post

OCed into Cabela's today to get a scope mounted on my brother's rifle. As usual, the employees were extremely nice and helpful. I was not asked to check my side arm and was not hassled at all. I ended up getting the scope mounted on the rifle and then bought 2 boxes of ammo for my Remmington 700.

After that I went over to Washington Mutual and deposited a couple checks. Once again, no probblems.

My last stop of the day was at Pizza Hut off of Glenwood to have lunch with a few friends. Only probblem there was that my drink wasn't refilled nearly enough :cuss:

All in all, another good day of OCing here in the wonderful state of Idaho.

Saint

imported post

Went to the airport tonight to pick up a friend of mine who was coming in from LA. Got a few looks from some of the other people there but no questions or comments on my extremely obvious Glock 19 and extra mag. I did notice one airport employee (a guy who was in charge of looking at the tickets of people going through the security checkpoint to the terminals) staring at me and my gun with kind of a shocked expression on his face. :what: However, security was not called nor was I confronted. This was my third time OCing in the airport without incident.

After that I went with some friends over to Veritas Coffeehouse where I stayed and hung out for over 4 hours. No probblems there at all which is not that big of a deal though since the owner is a personal friend of mine as are almost all of the employees there. I had a couple friends comment on the gun and the dad of another guy I knew there asked me if it was a Glock and how I liked it as a carry gun.

As usual though, nothing of interest happened and I had a very enjoyable evening. Yay for Idaho!

Saint

imported post

OCed at a theater meeting in Ann Morrison park tonight. No comments from anyone at the park. All of the theater people I was with are friends of mine and used to my OCing so nothing from them either. Very uneventful. :D

Saint

imported post

OCed into Washington Mutual to cash a check today. As usual, no comments or questions from any employees. I noticed several customers staring at my gun but no one said anything. :D

Saint

imported post

Went to get a haircut tonight at Great Clips in Eagle. My usual hairstylist wasn't there so I opted to have a differant employee cut it. As he started to do my hair he started to ask me about my gun and about Idaho gun laws. We talked about it for almost 20 mins. Great conversation with a guy who was very supportive (although he does not carry) and a great educational experience overall. :)

IdahoCorsair

State Researcher
imported post

Well, I'm going to highjack your thread or maybe just work my way into it since we both live in Eagle! ;)

I OC'd into the Jacksons in Eagle this morning...:lol: and funny thing was there just happened to be two Ada County sheriffs standing in the back corner facing everything, talking. I just got my stuff and stood at the counter waiting like 2 minutes for the cashier to fix something with the coffee pot. The deputies eyed me a couple times but didn't seem overly concerned. I don't know if the 5.11s pants had anything to do with it or not... and I was wearing a Front Sight t-shirt. :? I didn't have time to chat, so I just treated them like everyone else in the store.
I'm just hoping that they KNEW I was a civilian.

Saint

imported post

Lolz... feel free to post here as much as you want Corsair. :)

As for me... I haven't had the oppurtunity to OC much lately as I am prohibited from carrying atboth BSU and theOlive Garden. However, in the last week I have managed to OC at Washington Mutual once and two times into gas stations. My buddy and I also have OCed into Burger King twice and I OCed into Shucks Auto Parts.

No probblems at any of these places. A few looks but nothing unusual.

Saint

imported post

Went into Walmart last night to purchase some earplugs so I could go shooting. I was on the phone with Idahocorsair when a female employee approached me and asked me what I was wearing. I responded that it was a Glock 19 handgun and that I was carrying in full compliance with Idaho code 18-33 and with section 2 of the Idaho State Constitution. The woman freaked out a little bit and called over an assistant manager who told me that they don't allow carry in their stores. I asked him why there were no signs posted and he said that he wasn't sure.

I then asked him if this policy was in writing and if I could see it. He responded that the general manager would be right with me and could answer my questions.

The general manager came up at this point and was extremely rude. He told me that guns 'scare his customers' and that it was 'his store' and he will refuse service to anyone carrying a gun. He then told me to take the gun out of his store immediatly.

I told him I would be happy to, but wanted to ask him a couple of clarification questions. He flat out told me he would not answer any questions and to leave his store.

I walked back out to my car and drove off at this point.

Later that night, black_nyt and myself went out to pick up pizza and a movie. We OCed into Albertsons, Little Ceasers and Blockbuster with no probblems. The people at Blockbuster were especially friendly and nice to us.

I was very disapointed by the management at Walmart. I have dealt with anti-gun managers before but never anyone who was that blatently rude. I will not be shopping there anymore. Chalk up more sales for Cabella's and Sportsmans.

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

Please contact corporate and tell them exactly who, what, where, when and how things went down. Ask them to let you and the manager know exactly what the policy is so that you and your family will know where to shop.

LoveMyCountry

Saint

imported post

I sent an e-mail to corporate yesterday referencing the incident at the Eagle walmart and asked for a copy of their written policy. We'll see what I get back

IdahoCorsair

State Researcher
imported post

What Saint says is true. He was dressed reasonably, talking with me on the phone and then I hear some lady start asking about his gun... she DID seem rather freaked out... and the manager came up all blustery-like and said that it was his store and he has the right to refuse service to anyone and he's refusing service to Saint. Then he refused to show policy when asked politely by Saint for documentation to show to his friends. The manager was very rude... the other employee was just concerned.

BTW, Saint scores an A+ in my book in how he dealt with it, as I heard all of what he said and about 90% of what the employees said. Polite, articulate, knowledgeable and asked just enough question to not be a push-over but without being abnoxious. Nicely done Saint!

I for one, have boycotted WM for a long time. Dang, if their whitebox isn't the cheapest, but I'm tired of supporting BOX stores who don't give a darn about their customers.

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

IdahoCorsair wrote:
I for one, have boycotted WM for a long time. Dang, if their whitebox isn't the cheapest, but I'm tired of supporting BOX stores who don't give a darn about their customers.
I've seen those same Winchester White Boxes at Sportman'sWarehouse in Coeur d'Alene. Walmart sucks and Sportman'sWarehouse is gun friendly.

LoveMyCountry

Saint

imported post

OCed into the Ram in downtown Boise today to watch part of the BSU game. The place was packed and while I noticed a couple people eye my gun, no one said anything.

Only bad thing of this entire experience was that BSU lost...:cuss: