• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC experiences

Saint

imported post

OCed into Java last night for coffee and to work on homework. This was probably my 4th time OCing in there without incident. Great coffee and atomosphere as usual. Had a chance to talk with Representative Phil Hart for a few mins as he was also there. All and all, another uneventful OC experience

silver nekode

imported post

anyone else notice a pattern here? saint you drink as much coffee as us wako's on the graveyard shifts:)

btw, where is Merritt's at? I am always lookin for good places to stop in at night.

Tyoung

imported post

Merrits is down on State street. It's between Pierce Park and Glenwood on the north side of the road. Best scones in town.

coyote1

imported post

it sounds like some of stores in idaho falls . monm and pop stores really dont have a grip on the real world we dont have a dicks store but we have ross coin and gun very unfrendly prices to high

coyote1

imported post

hey tyoung how many guys and gals are ocing in nampa would you say.

coyote1

imported post

:cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::what::what::cuss::cuss::cuss:

Saint

imported post

I am participating in server training at Olive garden this week and during our break today I ended up talking with my Trainer and two of my fellow servers about guns and OC. One of them knew I OCed already and totally supports it. He CC's usually but is considering starting to OC occasionally.

The other server CC's regularly but isn't particulary interested in OCing. That being said, he was cool with the idea of me OCing and supported me carrying in general. Our trainer was also supportive of defensive carry.

I OCed into MacLife twice this week to get some work done on my MacBook and had a very pleasent experience. No problems with my glock at all.

I ended the day OCing into the Starbucks on Fairview and Eagle for coffee with my girlfriend and then went to the Eagle Library where I browsed for about a half hour. No problems as usual.

Saint

imported post

Had an interesting encounter with OC last night.

My girlfriend and I decided to take a break from homework and get a bite to eat. We proceeded over the the Ram Resteraunt and Brewery in Boise at about 9 PM.

I was wearing jeans, a hollister longsleeve shirt and my Glock 19 in my holster on strong side.

We were sat in a booth by the manager and began perusing the menu to decide what we wanted to eat. Our server came by (I believe his name was steve) and got us our drinks and than began to take our order. Midsentence through asking us what we wanted he stopped and noticed my firearm. The exchange went roughly as follows...

Server: Are you wearing a sidearm?

Me: Yes. It's a Glock 9 mm handgun. Great gun

Server: Umm... ok? Can I ask why?

Me: Well I am carrying in compliance with state law and I am just one of those guys who believes in the right to carry.

Server: Ok. Well you know you could get in trouble for carrying here since we serve alchohol right?

Me: Actually Sir, you are mistaken. Idaho has what is known as "state pre-emption" laws which means that no county, municipality or other subsidiary of the state can make a ruling that is contradictory to state law. OC is perfectly legal with respect to the private establishment.

Server: Oh ok... I just know that when I was a bouncer at a bar the cops showed up and hauled out a guy who had a gun. I don't know though... not that this is any of my business anyway.

Me: No it's fine. I actually appreciatte people asking questions. I am just one of those guys that believes it is better to have the tools to defend myself and never need them, than to need them and not have them. Plus I just like to give people a chance to see a more positive side of gun owners.

Server: Ya ya I got it. You seem very intelligent and were very articulate so I'm sure you know what you are talking about.

Me: Ya I've done my research. To be honest I am really shocked you even noticed the gun. Most people don't realize I am carrying.

Server: Huh. Just to scared?

My Girlfriend: No it is true. Most people don't even bother to look and see that he is carrying. He's only gotten one or two comments on it and he carries every time we are together. Props for being aware

Server: Ok ya... it just threw me a little there. Anyways... What can I get you for dinner?

The dialogue on the gun stopped at this point and it wasn't brought up again. We had a pleasent meal and a delicious Mudslide ice cream cake.

At the end of the meal I wrote a note down on the back of one of the receipts for the server that gave the website for OCDO and a little note thanking him for asking questions and wishing him a great night. I left approximately a 40% tip and we had a hassle free night. A good OC oppurtunity in all

Saint

imported post

Two new OC encounters.

First was on Friday afternoon at approx 1600 hours

I was in Urban Outfitters with my girlfriend browsing the clothes. Wearing jeans, black t-shirt, Glock 19 in holster on strong side with leather jacket over shoulder.

As we looked over some new jeans for me, i was approached by two males (approx 15-16 years old, skater look, etc) and one asked "why do you have a gun?"

I responded that it was my right, that I believe in self defense and that it is the only legal way to carry for me.

The conversation ended with one of the males stating "that is sooo an Idaho law" and the other one saying something to the effect of "sweet we could walk down the street with a shotgun for fun"

Needless to say I did not encourage such actions and quicly ended the conversation.

The second encounter was later that night at approximately 2230 hours.

I had just gotten off work and was wearing black dress slacks, white dress shirt and Glock 19 holstered strong side. I walked into the Eagle Albertsons gas station to use a gift card I had to fill up my tank. The two employees inside (one male about mide 20s, other female early to mid 30s) were helpful and got my gas figured out.

As I finished paying, the male asked me "So do people give you a lot of crap for that?" as he nodded at my Glock.

I responded that I usually get very little negative response and that overall most people don't even notice I carry.

He then responded that he supported me carrying, that his entire family carries, and that he is going to get his CCW when he gets a chance. He further went on to say it's great that Idaho allows you to carry open without a permit and we then proceeded to discuss the fact that gun laws are pointless as the only thing they do is make it harder for law abiding citizens to defend themselves.

The female employee was agreeing as well, going so far as to state that she thinks it's great that I carry and that if more people did we'd be a safer society. We discussed gun rights and laws for a few more mins and then I wished them both a good night and left to pump my gas.

No other real experiences lately besides those. I have three new Glock mags that came in and that I need to pick up from Bourneshooter so I am looking forward to that.

Saint

imported post

OCed into Starbucks on Milwaukee yesterday during my break between shifts at work. While I was there Bourneshooter joined me for about an hour and transferred my new Glock magazines to me.

Both of us were ocing our Glocks with spare mags on weak side. No comments or problems with anyone.

Later that night my girlfriend and I went out to dinner at Red Robin. As we went to sit down at our table my girlfriend saw a friend of hers at another table and we went over to say hi. I ended up talking to one of the guys there for about 10 mins on gun rights, OC, crime prevention, etc. He was very pro-gun and pro-OC to a point where I wouldn't be surprised to see him start OCing soon. After that we finished our dinner and didn't get any comments from anyone else.

Saint

imported post

Had to take care of some tax return stuff today so I went over to the Idaho Tax Comission Offices to drop off some paperwork to one of the employees. I had spoken with her on the phone about 15 mins before I got there and during the course of the conversation I asked her if the building was owned or leased on the federal level or the state level. She responded state level and asked if I was inquiring due to security reasons at which point I informed her I carry a handgun and just wanted to ensure my legality.

When I arrived I headed straight to the security desk to ask for her and the Allied Barton security guard asked if I had a permit for my firearm. I responded that it was on Open Carry weapon and as such there was no permit needed. He said basically "ok, I was just told to ask that to people who I think have weapons"

I once again reitterated that a CWP is only nescessary for concealed weapons. He was pretty relaxed and inquired very conversationaly as to if I carry for protection or some other purpose. I told himthat it was both for protection and as a excercise of my rights to which he said basically "oh ok cool. Sounds good"

When the employee got there we talked about my carry for a min with her thanking me for letting them know ahead of time I was carrying and saying that "sometimes when people come in with a partially concealed weapon they look a little suscipicious"

I then responeded that there were no worries there for me as I was fully open on my carry and had no problem with people knowing I carry. She laughed and finished helping me out with my tax returns.

Eagleeye

imported post

Saint wrote:
When I arrived I headed straight to the security desk to ask for her and the Allied Barton security guard asked if I had a permit for my firearm. I responded that it was on Open Carry weapon and as such there was no permit needed. He said basically "ok, I was just told to ask that to people who I think have weapons"

Had to laugh at that, guy must have needed more coffee, that statement sounded almost like he didn't see your gun.

Saint

imported post

He definately saw it. What he was trying to cover for was the fact that he had been specifically asked to request a permit from me and then when I said I didn't need one he put in something about how he was just told to ask if he saw anyone coming in who he thought was carrying. Kinda funny

Saint

imported post

Carried into a bagel shop (I think it was called Elsie's or Ellen's) on Idaho street today for lunch. As I got up to grab some napkins, a customer (male, early 20s, name of Chris) approached me and pointed to my Glock.

Chris: Hey can I ask you a question?
Me: sure...
Chris: Are you carrying your sidearm just cause you can?
Me: Well I am carrying it primarily for self defense but yes, I do carry in this method as a demonstration of my 2nd ammendment rights
Chris: Wow, that is absolutely awesome. *shakes my hand* I've got a .45 I've always wanted to carry but never got up the balls to do it.
Me: Ya well you know, I'm a firm believer in my 2A right and I also think that if we don't exercise our rights we soon lose them.
Chris: Yep I totally agree... What was your name btw?
*We introduce ourselves*
Chris: So do you ever get kicked out of places, like a private business, for carrying like that?
Me: I have in the past, but usually at places where I don't frequent anyway. And it's just a loss of business for them so...
Chris: Ya I gotcha
Me: Honestly, most people don't even notice that I am carrying, and of the ones that do, I usually get more positive comments than negative.
Chris: Well that's great man

I then told him to check out OCDO and we wished each other a good afternoon. I then enjoyed a very delicious bagel sandwhich. :D

MT GUNNY

imported post

You Rock Dude!

I have one question for you . I plan on going to sandpoint again for the 4th of july like I did last year, and watch the firework display at the lake. This time OC instead of CC will therebe a legal problem with that?