• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Remington 710

UTOC-45-44

imported post

I don't like to have Rifles like this but I had the Chance to shoot a 30-06 this weekend and would like to buy a Cheap yet a decent 30-06.

Would the above Rilfe be a Good one ???

Wanna buy something this week since my wife is going out of Town and I can buy something to have some Fun:lol:.

Should I rather get a .308 or what 's up with the 7MM ???

Opinions PLEASE !!!!

JB

imported post

I looked at that gun for a while and got mixed reviews. Some loved it, some thought it was crap. I was also considering the Mossberg 100 ATR. Ended up with a Savage 270 WSM w/ accutrigger and scope. $350 at cal-ranch. Glad I bought the Savage.

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

If you want something to just "have fun" with, look into a Mosin-Nagant....a nice one can be had for $90-$100 and the ammo is as cheap as you're going to get for a "high power" rifle.....about $3-$3.50 per box of 20.
On the other hand, if you want something to "buld on" for a "real shooter"....get a Remington 700...the 700 has tons of stuff available to build a decent long range rifle.....1000-1200 yd shots can be made with it if you do your part.....
Nothing wrong with 30-06 at all....but I like the .308 better....good buys on mil-surp available for both.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
I don't believe the Remington 710 comes in .308 only .270, .30-06 and 7mm.

However the Savage 110 is a good inexpensive rifle that comes in .308.

http://www.savagearms.com/10gxp3.htm

You are right. I didn't seperate the calibers from the 30-06 and did not ask for any other suggestions other than the 30-06 in other brands.

I've heard the .308 is a good round and that it's very common among snipers. Is this correct or just a myth??

Legba

imported post

My understanding is that a lot of police/SWAT units use the .308, but that .30-cal rifles are more or less being phased out of the military altogether (the M-60 is about the last .30-06 gun left, and its days are supposedly numbered).

That said, I am a huge fan of the .30-06. You may be able to get a relatively cheap bolt-action military surplus (or converted "sporterized") one on Gunbroker or the likes (they exist, even with the Garandand Springfield 1903 prices going through the roof). Truly awesome for range and power.The only disappointing thing about them is finding a place that will let you shoot them (indoor ranges are out of the question). Ammo is also getting expensive as surplus stuff becomes scarce.

-ljp

Legba

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
Legba wrote:
"the M-60 is about the last .30-06 gun left, and its days are supposedly numbered."

-ljp

It's been awhile since shooting one but the M-60 belt feed machine gun used by the US Army is chambered in 7.62x51mm Nato or .308.

The BAR, M1 Garand and the SpringfieldA1 rifleare chambered in 30-06

Well, as a civilian, I was apparently misinformed by a supposedly knowledgeable veteran who told me that the M-60 chambered the .30-06 round. It may be extinct already as a military round then.

-ljp

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

There are still a few militaries toting around M1 Garands or have stockpiles of them. However the inexpensive surplus blasting .30-06 rounds are getting rare. On the plus side there are plenty of civilian loads widely available maybe more so than .308 right now. I don't forsee 7.62x51mm going away for a generation or 2, so cheaper 7.62 may be available in the future.

As for the 710 I'm not impressed by it, it feels junky to me and I think Savages are much better for close to the same money. Or save up and get a real 700, you only pay for quality once.

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

Agent19 wrote:
I believe Robinson Armament was just awarded(WON) the contract to build the US Army's new sniper rifle a AR-15 variant (semi-auto only) chambered in .308
That would be an AR-10 variant...the AR-15 magwell is to short to handle the .308
Also.....Robinson doesn't build ARs...they build their own designs BASED on the AR series.....
the M96.... http://www.robarm.com/M96_Home.htm
and the XCR... http://www.robarm.com/
Both very sweet weapons in their own right...........
One last note....the M24 SWS is built by Remington on a 700 action and is available in .308 and 300 Win Mag only..... http://www.remingtonmilitary.com/m24sws.htm
The M24A3 is chambered for .338 Lapua Mag only and has a different stock system as well as a modular accessory rail system.... http://www.remingtonmilitary.com/m24a3sws.htm
Again....all sweet shooters

Tidewater

imported post

I bought a Rem. 710 30.06 a while back. The gun as far as shooting is excellent. Accuracy is up there with $800+ rifles. Bolt operation SUCKED. Non-smooth is an understatement. It took FORCE to operate the bolt and for that reason alone I sold it. Could have risked missing the opportunity for the second shot, not to mention the cussing all the animals would hear as I tried to re-chamber! Look at a Remington 700 or a Rugar M77 MkII. a little big more expensive, but a much better gun. Personally I dont like the feel of the synthetic stock vs a wood lam. Caliber, here in SC they say a .270 is the best round because we have MANY small deer (180 or less) most being around 150lbs. I had a 30.06 because its a very versitale caliber and could take down anything anywhere. 7mm, wouldnt need it unless i was going for moose or grizzly, and even then, a 30.06 could do the job with the right load.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Tidewater wrote:
I bought a Rem. 710 30.06 a while back. The gun as far as shooting is excellent. Accuracy is up there with $800+ rifles. Bolt operation SUCKED. Non-smooth is an understatement. It took FORCE to operate the bolt and for that reason alone I sold it. Could have risked missing the opportunity for the second shot, not to mention the cussing all the animals would hear as I tried to re-chamber! Look at a Remington 700 or a Rugar M77 MkII. a little big more expensive, but a much better gun. Personally I dont like the feel of the synthetic stock vs a wood lam. Caliber, here in SC they say a .270 is the best round because we have MANY small deer (180 or less) most being around 150lbs. I had a 30.06 because its a very versitale caliber and could take down anything anywhere. 7mm, wouldnt need it unless i was going for moose or grizzly, and even then, a 30.06 could do the job with the right load.
As I've asked around...People says that the Rem. 710 30.06 is a good Rifle. Gonna look into it.

Legba

imported post

Yeah, I've observed that the action is somewhat "sticky" on the Remington. Then again, I was using a new one, so maybe they break in after some use. I have a Mauser converted to .30-06 and it's just sublime. They will work just fine red-hot. Various South American governmentsrebarreled them for .30-06 after the war and you should be able to get a decent one fairly cheaply if you look around.

-ljp