• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CA Woman Store Owner Shoots/Kills Robber

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Good for her. Good for us.

Positive and neutral reporting of justified self-defense events such asthis are heartening.

The only thing that bothers me is that there is no reporting that the robber was armed.

Self-defense said likely in slaying
Surveillance tape may yield more clues

By Rob Young/Appeal-Democrat

August 13, 2007 - 11:43PM

Whoever shot and killed an alleged robber at the Percy Avenue Market in Yuba City last week “may be entirely innocent,” a Sutter County District Attorney spokesman said.

Assistant District Attorney Fred Schroeder said Monday that early reports indicate whoever fired the shots may have acted in self-defense.

Self-defense “certainly in this type of case is a distinct possibility,” said Schroeder, who declined to reveal the shooter’s name. But no decision will be made until the police report arrives, he said.

Some cases that appeared at first to be self-defense turned out otherwise, and vice versa, he said.

A report on the fatal shooting of an alleged robber at the Percy Avenue Market may be completed today and forwarded to the Sutter County District Attorney’s Office, police said Monday.

Yuba City Deputy Police Chief Jeff Webster said he could not confirm or deny a TV news report that a woman who co-owns the store shot and killed 37-year-old Billy Lloyd Saling of Olivehurst on Friday night.

In a telephone interview, a woman who identified herself as co-owner Sue Hamdan declined comment, except to say, “I don’t remember, it happened so fast.”

Whatever happened may be revealed on a store surveillance tape. While refusing to confirm that the robbery was recorded, Webster said the store has “a very good system.”

Keeping a gun in the store was “not one bit illegal,” said Schroeder.

Police recovered the gun used to shoot Saling but did not say whether it was registered. It may have been a .38 caliber handgun, said Deputy Chief Rob Landon.

Two shots were fired, said Webster.

Saling managed to flee the store after being shot but collapsed and died in a parking lot.

Schroeder said he was unaware of any Sutter County criminal cases involving Saling, who lived in the 7000 block of Feather River Boulevard in Yuba County.

According to Yuba County court records, Saling was charged with vehicle theft in March 2006.

The charge was reduced from a felony to a misdemeanor and he was sentenced to six months in jail.

Saling was charged in April with giving false identification to a law enforcement officer. The charge was pending at the time of his death.

He was convicted in June 2003 of being under the influence of a controlled substance and put on probation.

Hamdan’s husband, Chris Hamdan, survived being shot in the stomach during a 1992 scuffle with a robber at the store, which is a “cornerstone” of its south Yuba City neighborhood, said Landon, who called the latest shooting a tragedy.

http://www.appeal-democrat.com/news/saling_52578___article.html/store_yuba.html

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Good news. The woman who shot the robber will not be charged.

That makes this a good shoot and, probably, a perfect example of a justified use of deadly force in self-defense.

Too bad we can't see the video...

Store slaying called self-defense
Co-owner acted responsibly, authorities say

Rob Young
August 20, 2007 - 11:38PM

A Yuba City market owner who shot and killed an armed robber will not be charged with a crime, Sutter County District Attorney Carl Adams said Monday.

Adams said the woman, who co-owns the Percy Avenue Market, acted in self-defense when she pulled a .38 caliber revolver from a drawer the night of Aug. 10 and shot Billy Lloyd Saling at point-blank range.

Adams did not name Hamdan in a press release, but confirmed she is Suad Hamdan, wife of co-owner Chris Hamdan. She earlier declined comment.

Hamdan did what was both legal and right, said Adams.

“Robbery is defined by the law as a forcible and atrocious crime. Homicide is justifiable when it is committed while resisting” such a crime, said Adams.

Saling had a loaded .22 caliber revolver in his hand when Hamdan fired one time, hitting him in the upper left lung. She fired a second time as he ran out the door but missed and hit a wall, said Adams.

Saling collapsed and died in a parking lot five to eight seconds after being hit, the district attorney said.

“It’s pretty clear she was convinced he would shoot her,” said Adams. “It’s clear she thought her life was at risk.”

Saling had five bullets in his six-shot revolver but did not fire. It was not clear if one of the rounds was “under the hammer” when Hamdan fired her gun, said Adams.

The incident at the checkout counter was captured on three of the store’s nine surveillance cameras, he said.

Dressed all in black and the with the hood of a sweatshirt concealing his face, Saling immediately went to the counter after entering the store and demanded money. He pointed the gun in Hamdan’s general direction as he leaned over, his elbows resting on the counter, said Adams.

“He demanded money from (Hamdan) and she complied. He then told her it was not enough and demanded more money,” he said.

When Hamdan reached into the drawer for the gun, Saling may have thought she was reaching for more money.

As he stood up from his leaning position, she shot him, said Adams.

“The clerk hands money to the robber three times from three different locations and, as the robber is demanding more money, the clerk takes a handgun from a drawer and shoots,” he said.

Saling could have been distracted by a patron standing at the back of the store who may have been calling police on a cell phone, said Adams.

Adams estimated Hamdan fired from a distance of three or four feet.

The surveillance tape will not be released, he said.

“It is always a hard thing when a citizen is forced to take a human life, no matter what the situation. While my condolences go out to the family of the deceased, I am also deeply sorry for the clerk and her family. She has to know that she not only did the legal thing, but in these circumstances, she also did the right thing by acting to protect herself and to protect her husband,” he said.

http://www.appeal-democrat.com/news/adams_52865___article.html/hamdan_saling.html

Deacon Blues

imported post

Well, good to see that she wasn't another victim. It's so popular now to play the victim that we all sit up and take notice if someone actually dares to take responsibility for their own safety. I hope the CA legal system actually picks up the ball on this one and treats her as a hero rather than a vigilante.

The CA legal system obviously dropped the ball when it came to dealing with the perp. It has became the public's responsibility to deal with repeat offenders since law enforcement just puts them back on the street with a slap on the wrist. How and why did they reduce auto theft from a felony to a misdemeanor?

PavePusher

imported post

T-RaV wrote:
Hamdan did what was both legal and right, said Adams
It never ceases to amaze me that these are always referred to as two totally different things...
It is unfortunate but true that many things that are "legal" are not right, and many things that are right are not "legal".

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

HankT wrote:
“It is always a hard thing when a citizen is forced to take a human life, no matter what the situation. While my condolences go out to the family of the deceased, I am also deeply sorry for the clerk and her family. She has to know that she not only did the legal thing, but in these circumstances, she also did the right thing by acting to protect herself and to protect her husband,” he said.
I live about 2 hours from 'Yuba Dooba'. I only go there because I have family there. It's something of a 'pit' in my opinion. Unlike this fellow quoted- I wouldnt be sending condolences out to the family of a rightfully dead armed thief. She did what needed to be done, as we all should, if that moment comes.