• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in Central and Northern PA

OCGLOCK

imported post

Just wanted to pass along my most recent OC experiences this last weekend. I traveled from My homestate of MD to my Cabin in Tioga County. I carried all weekend including In Shamokin Dam area to several restaurants, no one even paid any notice.

Also carried in Mertz Outdoor shop buying my hunting license, no problems. The clerk did seem to notice my Glock, but made no mention of it. I carried in many local stores in Tioga County and once again no one said a word.

Visited the PA Grand Canyon and went hiking on some of the local trails leading to the West Rim of the Canyon while open carrying. Once again, no problems. I did attend the Tioga County fair and decided to Carry Concealed because of the large numbers of people and the concert I attended at the fair was packed so I felt more comfortable and safer.

All in All, I carry Openlyin central and upstate PA and have only had positive experiences. The local mentality there is different as people seem to see a person with a Sidearm and think, "Look he is carrying, good for him."

Anyone from this area have simmilar experiences???

OCglock

SP101

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I take it then, since you also conceiled carried, that you either have a Maryland CC permit, or you have anon-resident PA LTCF.

The reason I ask is, I heard it is very difficult to get a permit in Maryland. If you do have a Maryland permit, what is the best way to go about getting one. Do I need to have a property in Maryland?

Thanks for sharing your OC experiences. I always enjoy hearing about non-event carries. It means alot to know that itis becoming more common.:)

OCGLOCK

imported post

I do have a Maryland Handgun Permit which allowed me to obtain a PA License to Carry Firearms. The process to obtain the MD permit is one I would not wish on my worst enemy. Maryland does not respect a citizens right to carry a firearm like PA does. Basically, if you own a business with a daily cashflow and can prove deposits, orhave had your life threatened 3 times documented by police reports or are a private detective/police officer you MAY be able to obtain a permit from the Maryland state police. Most likely your MD permit would be restricted as to when and what time you may carry your weapon. Non-residents can obtain a MD permit but I can honestly tell you that I doubt the Maryland State Police would give one out.

Sad state of affairs down here in MD, so I feel lucky I was able to obtain one so I can have my PA LTCF. I never leave my house without my sidearm PA or MD.

Thanks for you response.

Sig229

imported post

Gald you OC'ed here in PA.

I used to live in Baltimore, and to be honest the only way to actually BE safe is to carry in MD. Permit or not.
Im not advising anyone to go out and break the law. But I did what I had to do. And I can honestly say it probably saved my life on two seperate occasions.

I know alot of MD'ers who CC for protection with no CHL.

****ETA:

As far as the Moderators go, Im just stating a common fact that many people in MD carry becuase they are FORCED to do this to protect their children out in that war zone of a city. Im NOT condoning. I know breaking the law is wrong and a good way to get your gun rights taken away from you, even if the law is un-American.

But facts are facts. ****

imperialism2024

imported post

Sig229 wrote:

I used to live in Baltimore, and to be honest the only way to actually BE safe is to carry in MD. Permit or not.
Im not advising anyone to go out and break the law. But I did what I had to do. And I can honestly say it probably saved my life on two seperate occasions.

Someone's going to get moderated... :shock:

But... I agree with you there. I just wonder what the legal consequences would be if one would have to fire, in self defense, a firearm that they were illegally carrying. I already know the media would condemn said gun-toter as the villain, but as for the legal ramifications, I'm not sure how bad they would be.

Sig229

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
Sig229 wrote:

Someone's going to get moderated... :shock:

But... I agree with you there. I just wonder what the legal consequences would be if one would have to fire, in self defense, a firearm that they were illegally carrying. I already know the media would condemn said gun-toter as the villain, but as for the legal ramifications, I'm not sure how bad they would be.

It has actually happened a lot in MD. I'll try to find some news links for you. They only thing that happened to the shooter was he/she was charged with carrying a handgun on his person with no license.

And usually it was their first offense so they got let go with probation before judgment.

Now thats only adter the police investigation decided the shotting was justified by self defense. if they do not find that, your in a whole heap of trouble.

As far as the Moderators go, Im just stating a common fact that many people in MD carry. Im NOT condoning. But facts are facts.