• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why some people should NOT have a gun...

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Why would you shoot a turtle, and why would you put it next to your foot while you tried to shoot it? It's not like the turtle is going to run off. You could probably get at least 10-15 shots off at it even if you were shooting flintlock, before the turtle "runs" into the brush. Just goes to show, if you can't be safe and smart with a gun, don't have one!

http://www.wdtn.com/Global/story.asp?S=6928462

Man aims at turtle, shoots self in foot

Associated Press - August 14, 2007 8:55 AM ET

MASSILLON, Ohio (AP) - A northeast Ohio man was arrested after he allegedly fired a gun at a turtle and accidentally shot himself in the foot.

Massillon (MAS'-ih-lawn) police say the 24-year-old man is recovering. He's facing a count of discharging a weapon within city limits.

Police Sergeant Johnnie DiLoreto says the man caught the turtle during the weekend and attempted to shoot it. He missed the turtle, but shot himself in the foot.

The man caught the turtle while fishing the Tuscarawas (tus-kuh-RAW'-uhs) River in Massillon. Police think the turtle got away. That is hilarious! :lol:

Legba

imported post

I once had to execute a deer that had been run over and had 2 broken legs. I was stoned drunk at the time (youthful indiscretion) and still got better results than this guy. Jesus...

-ljp

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Well, in this guy's defense, a turtle probably moves alot faster than a deer with a couple of broken legs. (Sarcasm) :)

PT111

imported post

For some reason the terms beer and imaginary turtle come to mind for this case. Like the imfamous dog that keeps jumping out in front of peopleand makes themrun intosigns and poles.:what::shock::cuss::banghead::(

Warrenton NO CCW

imported post

I have a basic question. Why shoot a turtle in the first place? I know some people like turtle soup, but I suspect this jerk did not plan on having turtle soup that day. He was an example somewhat of Darwinian selection.

As an aside, my wife does carry livestock in a trailer and she always carries a short barrel .38 S&W, all the time. Almost anyone who hauls livestock probably have seen from time to time, an accident or even a case where animals drop through the floor of a trailer or some odd other accident. It is not fun watching an animal with a broken leg or often, much worse, and NOT have a revolver or pistol with you.

Toad

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Strange....a citizen shoots at a reptile and hits him self, but a cop shoots at a reptile and murders a child. Please tell me again who poses the greater public dangerit obviously was not the citizen. However the citizen was instantly charged but the officer was rewarded with paid vacation.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Toad wrote:
Strange....a citizen shoots at a reptile and hits him self, but a cop shoots at a reptile and murders a child. Please tell me again who poses the greater public dangerit obviously was not the citizen. However the citizen was instantly charged but the officer was rewarded with paid vacation.

The two cases are dissimilar. Plus you're severely misdescribing the Austin Haley outcome.

In any event, the turtle shooter case can stand on its own: the guy is a goof with a gun.

Somebody, make sure that guy doesn't do that again. That fool has damaged my gun rights a little bit and that just ticks me off.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

You don't ever want to be described as a knucklead in a news report. Especially when you have a gun. Hmm, knucklehead with a gun.....I like the sound of that. Almost better than goof with a gun...

I'm also glad the turtle got away. That turt needssome protection like this:

turtle_20helmet.jpg

Hooked turtle gives armed fishers shell
INDE STAFF REPORT

It’s basically a turtle versus man story – “and the turtle won,” said Sgt. J.J. DiLoreto, with the Massillon Police Department.

Police responded to a call that a firearm had been discharged shortly after 11 p.m. Friday on the Tuscarawas riverbank near the intersection of Earl Road and Lake Avenue.

“From what I understand, two guys where out fishing on Friday night ... just on the western side of the river,” DiLoreto said. “But instead of catching a fish, they caught a snapping turtle.

“So these two knuckleheads have this turtle hooked and I think they were planning to eat it,” DiLoreto continued. “Apparently he was taking a shot at the turtle and his foot got in the way. He shot himself in the foot.”

The discharged weapon was a 9mm handgun.

“I don’t know how bad his foot is, but I do know they took him to a hospital by private vehicle right away. ... At that close range and the bullet moving that fast, it had to have hurt like heck.”

DiLoreto said he is not sure if the turtle lived or not. “I can’t say with a 100 percent certainty – but I think the turtle got away,” he said.

The case is listed as a possible fourth-degree misdemeanor, which could mean up to 30 days in jail and a $250 fine.

adlog.php
http://www.indeonline.com/index.php?ID=18998&r=0&Category=

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Mr. Y wrote:
Why shoot a turtle in the first place?
I'm sayin'.

Somebody needs to pour some chlorine into that end of the human gene pool.
Why stop there? Let's built a divider, and empty that end of the pool! :) I drive past where this happened all the time. Not cool that I liveso close to this goof! I think a safety bulletin from the Ohio Department of Wildlife to all area turtles warning them of the danger is in order. Or maybe the turtles could create gun free zones to stop the violence?

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

HankT wrote:
In any event, the turtle shooter case can stand on its own: the guy is a goof with a gun.

Somebody, make sure that guy doesn't do that again. That fool has damaged my gun rights a little bit and that just ticks me off.
HankT, you continue to state that a "goof with a gun" should never be allowed to have a gun again. Do you apply that same standard to other inanimate objects? If someone does something "goofy" with vehicle, should they never drive again? If someone posts something on a website that others think is "goofy" should he never be allowed on the Internet again?

Have you ever done something that, in hindsight, wasn't that smart? Did you hold yourself to the same standard you apply to others?

Most people learn from their mistakes. Taking away their civil rights is not the way to teach them.

LoveMyCountry

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

LoveMyCountry wrote:
HankT wrote:

HankT, you continue to state that a "goof with a gun" should never be allowed to have a gun again.
I don't recall saying that, LMC.