• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Concealed Weapons Permit

Tidewater

imported post

I'm sure i'll be explained all this when I decided to take my CWP course, but I want to do a little background info in human talk vs. reading the legislative "sometimes confusing laws." I am 23 years old and have and always will support the 2nd amendment. A friend of mine has bought a S&W Sigma and recieved his CWP after being robbed twice at gunpoint taking the nightly deposit in Conway, SC. I've been going to the range and shooting his weapon. I've grown to really enjoy doing this and decided it was time for me to purchase my own. After looking at many handguns, I decided on a Springfield XD .40 with a 4" barrel. It fits my hands well and I love the way it shoots. Now I'm interesting in carrying the weapon on me day-to-day. As a non-permitee, I know I am permitted to carry the loaded weapon on my premisess and in my glove box or console; but as a permittee, what would be the major restrictions regarding personal carry and would it really benefit me to proceed with the CWP course (Of course the more training the better)? Must it be totally concealed and I cannot carry in view?

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Contact Grass Roots Gun Rights South Carolina at http://www.scfirearms.org They are the CCW suppport group in SC.

SC CCW statute http://www.scstatehouse.net/code/t23c031.htm

Section on 'concealed' SECTION 23-31-210. Definitions. [ ... ]
6) "Concealable weapon" means a firearm having a length of less than twelve inches measured along its greatest dimension that must be carried in a manner that is hidden from public view in normal wear of clothing except when needed for self-defense, defense of others, and the protection of real or personal property.
A training requirement is an infringement abetted by the NRA to their economic advantage.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

The major restrictions are...

(M) A permit issued pursuant to this section does not authorize a permit holder to carry a concealable weapon into a:
(1) police, sheriff, or highway patrol station or any other law enforcement office or facility;
(2) detention facility, prison, or jail or any other correctional facility or office;
(3) courthouse or courtroom;
(4) polling place on election days;
(5) office of or the business meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special purpose district;
(6) school or college athletic event not related to firearms;
(7) daycare facility or pre-school facility;
(8) place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law;
(9) church or other established religious sanctuary unless express permission is given by the appropriate church official or governing body; or
(10) hospital, medical clinic, doctor's office, or any other facility where medical services or procedures are performed unless expressly authorized by the employer.
A person who wilfully violates a provision of this subsection is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, must be fined not less than one thousand dollars or imprisoned not more than one year, or both, at the discretion of the court and have his permit revoked for five years.

PT111

imported post

In SC you will have to keep it concealed but there are several secondary advantages of having a CWP:

You benefit from the training and experience. A big advantage whether or not you get your CWP. Just taking the course is well worth the time and money getting the law on home defense explained.

1) With a CWP you are no longer limited to having to carry your gun in your glove box or console. A nice side benefit.

2) When you go up to Calabash toget someseafood you don't have to worry about taking your gun out of your glove box and placing it in the open because of the different laws in NC. :D

3) An XD40 is a little harder to conceal than a P3AT but when you walk around Broadway at the Beach meeting the panhandling drunks on the bridges across the water you will feel a little better about telling them to get lost. :cuss:

Tidewater

imported post

I agree its not nearly that small PT. but Ive tried concealing it at home without a problem, and I like the feeling of having something I know they can see. But yes, the training is priceless. I hate those bums at Broadway but its even worse along the beach and biker week. Thank God I moved back to Charleston.