• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Secret Service OC encounter

Renegade

imported post

Short story - recently we were staying in your average four star hotel off I-495 just outside of DC. My brother-in-law (BIL) and I both pulled our disgustingly large SUVs up to the front entrance and left them idling in an effort to support global warming - hey, I grew up in the snowbelt!

Any how, while I stood outside my BILs SUV leaning on his driver side window sill - up roll several large BLACK SUVs. My H&K USP was hanging on my right hip in plain view to the occupants of the black SUVs. Out pop a gang of guys with short hair and long stares...time stood still as I noted the cool little discreet strobes tucked into their grills and realized they were most likely Secret Service (SS).

I rejoined the conversation with my BIL, within seconds the SS SUVs loaded-up again and quickly pulled away. I am confident these SS guys were fully aware of the USP on my hip - how the heck could they not notice - but everything ended just as it should have. It was a total non-event as far as I was concerned.

Anyone have any similar experiences or knows of SS policy regarding lawful open carry? I have often wondered what sorts of rules/procedures the SS have when dealing with law abiding citizens that carry. If there was an event and the President (or ex-President) were going to attend what type of exclusion zone are they permitted to erect? Are people searched? Are there special laws, etc.?

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Beats me, but I ran into a similar situation a few weeks ago with the head of the DEA and her protective detail.

IdahoCorsair

State Researcher
imported post

Interesting about the SS. They way it should be.

Oh, but you are a tease longwatch... do tell!

Tomahawk

imported post

If they don't like me to carry open or concealed around the president, tell the president to stay the hell out of my neighborhood.

I hate the presumption that we have to attenuate our freedoms whenever the emperor wants to roll up in his armored pumpkin. And I hate the fact that so many Americans not only accept it, but will make excuses for it and support it.

Scheetz

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
If they don't like me to carry open or concealed around the president, tell the president to stay the hell out of my neighborhood.

I hate the presumption that we have to attenuate our freedoms whenever the emperor wants to roll up in his armored pumpkin. And I hate the fact that so many Americans not only accept it, but will make excuses for it and support it.

Do you carry a voice recorder? You seem like the person who when disarmed by an officer would tell the officer you are going to disarm him because you do not feel safe anymore. :lol:

If and when you do it, please record and post it up. +1000 forum bucks if you do it to LEO.

AbNo

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:

Well, I think that's more the SS's doing than anyone else's.

I mean, you should've seen the snipers downtown last year when ANSWER was rolling through back on 18 August.

Protest Warrior was there to give them (ANSWER) a big F-You. :celebrate

:lol:

XD Owner

imported post

I asked an agent once what she would do and she said she would take the gun away as it presented a threat to the President.

Scenario was, "Whatwhat would you do if you saw me and my openly carried pistol in a holster at a Jim Webb for Senate Rally at Alexandria City Hall with former president Clinton speaking?"

When I asked her on what authority she could disarm me, she cited a section of 18 US Code, 18 USC 871 I think. When I looked up the code, it said it is unlawful to threaten the life of the President, Vice President, etc. etc. by sending in the mail or other form such threats.

Since my pistol is in a holster and not in a package addressed to the White House, I think I'm on firm legal groundand can conduct my lawful business in Virginia.

Sheesh, talk about law enforcement not knowing the laws.

I need to get me an inexpensive firearm to open carry for those sort of things, so I will not be out very much money when it is taken away, and then I can sue the pants (or pantsuit) off the agent for violating my civil rights.

I'll call it my Secret Service-in-the-Vicinity Gun.

unrequited

imported post

Curious... there's gotta be something in some USC which accounts for disarming OC/CC people... last thing you'd want is to raise your hand to ask a question and have an agent scream out, "GUN!" and you get tackled/shot/sniped/etc. Right? I wonder what the procedure is for that.

I'm saying that as a practical issue of me not wanting to be killed if I attend a rally.

That'd be sadly ironic if it were to happen at a Ron Paul event.

IanB

imported post

I CC'd at that very event. Was standing roughly100 feet from the stage,in front of the media cameras on the bleachers. No pat downs or searching going on. It was so packed in there I wouldn't have wanted to OC, bodies were pressed up on each other and there would have been no way to keep the wepon secure.

Reverend73

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Here's a question: Does the POTUS, when acting in his official duties at any location, just by his presence, make that location a federal facility. If so, then firearms would not be allowed.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

XD Owner wrote:
Sheesh, talk about law enforcement not knowing the laws.

I need to get me an inexpensive firearm to open carry for those sort of things, so I will not be out very much money when it is taken away, and then I can sue the pants (or pantsuit) off the agent for violating my civil rights.

Ifyou win the suityou canbuy a matching set of pistols and have "Courtesy of the Secret Service" engraved on the slides! The next time a agent takesyour gun he will ask what that means..."Last time an agenttook my gun..."!

:p

mvpel

imported post

I gather that usually when the POTUS shows up here in New Hampshire, he uses a private venue - I ushered for an event with about 5,000 people at a indoor sports complex over in Derry, for example. As a private venue, they are entitled to set the rules for the venue, including a "no weapons" policy with metal detectors and bag searches, that they would not be permitted to set under the state preemption law for a city- or state-owned facility.

More recently, he was at the Radisson in Manchester.

They also set a "no signs" policy there for the visit, for that matter, though someone sitting right in front of me did manage to get one in much to my annoyance, since they waved it vigorously in the air for every single applause line and spoiled more than one photograph.

vtme_grad98

imported post

XD Owner wrote

Don't you carry an XD? Those things are neck and neck with Glocks as carry pieces for just that reason. That's the main reason I carry a Glock, no sentimental attachment. I'd wince for days if my 1911 had to spend any time in an evidence locker because I used it to defend myself. But they could scratch the hell out of my Glock and I wouldn't care that much. As long as it goes boom when I want, and doesn't when I don't, that's all that matters with something that utilitarian.

VApatriot

imported post

This is sort of on topic. This is a picture that a friend of mine took atthis year's4th of July parade in Dale City.

What do y'all think of the guy with the shoulder bag?:cool:

Attachments

• TK.jpg
    TK.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 529

IanB

imported post

Looks like the Gov is making the sideways glock gangsta shooting motion.

XD Owner

imported post

vtme_grad98 wrote:
XD Owner wrote

Don't you carry an XD? Those things are neck and neck with Glocks as carry pieces for just that reason. That's the main reason I carry a Glock, no sentimental attachment. I'd wince for days if my 1911 had to spend any time in an evidence locker because I used it to defend myself. But they could scratch the hell out of my Glock and I wouldn't care that much. As long as it goes boom when I want, and doesn't when I don't, that's all that matters with something that utilitarian.
To me, $400 is expensive, and I am sentimentally attached to it - it'smy first semi-auto. I'm thinking of getting one of those Kel-Tecs when I get back to freedom.

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

Let me see if I'm getting this straight. Folks are buying cheap guns that they don't like just so they won't miss them if they police take them. Is that correct? Aren't they carrying guns to defend themselves and those with them? Then why carry a sub-standard gun?

Isn't that like saying "well, my new car starts every time, stops on a dime, sticks to the road like a Formula 1 race car and will win in a collision with a semi... but I don't want to get it scratched, so I'll drive my '72 Pinto instead."?

:banghead:

Guns are tools. Shiny, expensive tools, but tools nonetheless. Ask any mechanic, musician or craftsman and they'll tell you to use the best you can afford and you won't be disappointed.

LoveMyCountry