• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Secret Service OC encounter

unrequited

imported post

LoveMyCountry wrote:
Isn't that like saying "well, my new car starts every time, stops on a dime, sticks to the road like a Formula 1 race car and will win in a collision with a semi... but I don't want to get it scratched, so I'll drive my '72 Pinto instead."?
Heh, it's exactly like that... a lot of people drive "beaters" for that reason alone. So they can beat the hell out of their daily driver and play with their fast toys on the weekend.

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

But this isn't a toy we are talking about, it's what may stand between life and death. Do you really want to depend on a "beater" while your safe queen is at home?

LoveMyCountry

Dont_Tread_On_Me

imported post

Interesting question given the high number of SS details in the NOVA area. I see one on Glebe Rd. frequently.

I'll ask my buddy who is a SS Agent how they deal with the issues raised in this string.

XD Owner

imported post

Hey, to have a gun collection, you need a variety of guns. Also, if you know you will be walking in some mud to pick berries or something, do you wear your expensive Italian leather wingtips, or do you wear some beat-up old bootsthat will keep your feet dry?

From what I've read about Kel Tecs, cheap does not mean substandard. Point, squeeze the trigger and it will go bang. Glocks, on the other hand, seem to have had some incidents of blowing up in your hand for some reason. See http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/gindex2.html I'm thinking of getting the P-11.

So, if I decide to go to another public political rally with POTUS present, I'll open carry per my First and Second Amendment rights. If they are infringed, well, that's what lawyers are for. I'll also carry a rolling video camera too. Maybe Spank the Donkey (where has he been lately?) could be my cameraman and fellow OC buddy.

My guns is a tool I hope I never have to use outside of a shooting range.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

LoveMyCountry wrote:
But this isn't a toy we are talking about, it's what may stand between life and death. Do you really want to depend on a "beater" while your safe queen is at home?

LoveMyCountry

Maybe there is a middle ground between your Corvette gun and the Yugo built whatever? My beautiful new-Luger is in the safe but I carry my Volks [font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]Universale Selbstlade Pistole and the SA 1911 is here beside me on the desk.

Either we Volk are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$
[/font]

bohdi

imported post

AK-47's are known for being reliable, accurate, and fairly cheap to make, yet lots of people want them. Same thing has been said about Glocks from what I've read. I don't really want a "pretty" gun that I have to shine and polish and make look nice like a Harley Davidson, that's alot of work that I really don't care to invest into a machine. Other people are different, and that's.........OK (Stealing from Stewart Smally). If the physical asthetics are not an issue for you, why pay for them, all it does is make you fashion police bait.

Thors_Mitersaw

imported post

Scheetz wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
If they don't like me to carry open or concealed around the president, tell the president to stay the hell out of my neighborhood.

I hate the presumption that we have to attenuate our freedoms whenever the emperor wants to roll up in his armored pumpkin. And I hate the fact that so many Americans not only accept it, but will make excuses for it and support it.

Do you carry a voice recorder? You seem like the person who when disarmed by an officer would tell the officer you are going to disarm him because you do not feel safe anymore. :lol:

If and when you do it, please record and post it up. +1000 forum bucks if you do it to LEO.
Can a LEO disarm you lawfully if you are not committing a crime?

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

LoveMyCountry wrote:
Let me see if I'm getting this straight. Folks are buying cheap guns that they don't like just so they won't miss them if they police take them. Is that correct? Aren't they carrying guns to defend themselves and those with them? Then why carry a sub-standard gun?

Isn't that like saying "well, my new car starts every time, stops on a dime, sticks to the road like a Formula 1 race car and will win in a collision with a semi... but I don't want to get it scratched, so I'll drive my '72 Pinto instead."?

:banghead:

Guns are tools. Shiny, expensive tools, but tools nonetheless. Ask any mechanic, musician or craftsman and they'll tell you to use the best you can afford and you won't be disappointed.

LoveMyCountry
My Saiga is tough to Conceal....

Thors_Mitersaw

imported post

XD Owner wrote:
In reply to thorsmitersaw, see Fourth Amendment, US Const.

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/data/constitution/amendment04/

Shorter answer, "NO!"

I was not refering to the constitution. If that document really mattered, then99% ofthe laws in existance in America would never have been. :banghead:

If he only needs to suspect me of a crime to detain me, does he need to have evidence? Does the suspicion, and detainment, constitute an authority to take my gun from me?

mvpel

imported post

Articulable suspicion.

See Terry v. Ohio - this sets one of the better-known basic standards for reasonable suspicion for detaining someone. The suspects in the case were observed to be casing a place for an armed robbery - looking up and down the street, walking around back, discussing what they'd seen, etc, and the officer stopped them, frisked them for concealed weapons, and placed them under arrest.

Dont_Tread_On_Me

imported post

I spoke with my SS buddy today. We had an interesting conversation regarding OC'ing.

Before I get into my thread I would like you all to be aware of the following caveat:

-- My SS buddy said if this was going on a chat board it would be done on a not for attribution basis and that any statement he gave me was his personal opinion / experience dealing with OC as a SS Agent and does not reflect official SS policy on the matter. Furthermore, the conversation was carried on within the context of how SS reacts to persons OC'ing in OC legal states, like Virginia or Texas.

1) Concerning OC'ing and SS powers. According my SS Buddy, under USC 35 or 36 (he couldn't tell me which one definitively) the SS has the power to enforce a "protection zone" (his description) for their protectee(s) and that this zone basically existed wherever Agents with protectee(s) were. I know that somebody on the forum earlier asked whether the mere presence of a protectee (e.g., POTUS) make a place (i.e., a park, a hotel) federal property. He said this is not correct, that the mere presence of a protectee does not make a facility federal property, but that the law was very clear about the SS' powers to enact a federal protection zone (very nebulous) and require all within in to be unarmed unless authorized to be so. I pushed him to define what a protection zone might be but he could not definitvely describe the zone in terms of area, timing, etc. Basically, the zone is what the SS agent thinks is necessary to protect their protectee.

2) Running into SS with protectee while OC'ing. I think somebody on the forum asked what could the SS do if you ran into them with their protectee at a bookstore or a resturant. My SS buddy said, in general, if the person OC'ing was at a location first the SS guys will 1) Ask their protectee to go somewhere else, like Borders instead of Barnes and Nobles; 2) Ask the OC'er to leave (establishing a protection zone around their protectee) and if you do not comply they'll a) take their protectee somewhere else, b) haul you out c) arrest you. Basically, he said SS is going to ask you to leave or secure your weapon in your vehicle. Now if you walk in on a SS agent detail with their protectee when they were at a location first, he said they were going to ask you to leave because they established their protection zone before you came.

3) OC'ing at /near a SS-proteced, delineated event. My SS buddy said boundaries are, in general, very clear during a political event (e.g., inaugaration, poltical rally) often requiring people to go through a metal scanner and stay within a defined area. In those circumstances the SS has full power to limit who comes in. I asked him what about people outside the line who might be OC'ing. He said if they see it they will address it. If the person is loitering outside the line they'll definitely get paid a vist by agents. However, if the person is walking by they'll in most cases, tell the person to keep walking, and if they don't comply walk up to them and begin asking questions.

I know these explanations are less than ideal but it at least gives you some insight into the mind of one SS agent's thinking on OC.

Attachments

• dont tread.jpg
    dont tread.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 280

Dont_Tread_On_Me

imported post

My apologies. Texas, according to the OC map, is not an OC state. I remember, however, it once being one.

Maybe I am getting confused with Arizona.

I said Texas because the SS guy used Texas as an example.

cato

imported post

Dont_Tread_On_Me wrote:
-- My SS buddy said if this was going on a chat board it would be done on a not for attribution basis and that any statement he gave me was his personal opinion / experience dealing with OC as a SS Agent and does not reflect official SS policy on the matter. Furthermore, the conversation was carried on within the context of how SS reacts to persons OC'ing in OC legal states, like Virginia or Texas. Oh and smile for the ISP tracking devise. And welcome to the no fly list.:p

mvpel

imported post

It's title 18, section 3056 of the US Code - Powers, authorities, and duties of United States Secret Service.

(d) Whoever knowingly and willfully obstructs, resists, or interferes with a Federal law enforcement agent engaged in the performance of the protective functions authorized by this section or by section 1752 of this title shall be fined not more than $1,000 or imprisoned not more than one year, or both.

And Section 1752:

(a) It shall be unlawful for any person or group of persons— (1) willfully and knowingly to enter or remain in (i) any building or grounds designated by the Secretary of the Treasury as temporary residences of the President or other person protected by the Secret Service or as temporary offices of the President and his staff or of any other person protected by the Secret Service, or (ii) any posted, cordoned off, or otherwise restricted area of a building or grounds where the President or other person protected by the Secret Service is or will be temporarily visiting, in violation of the regulations governing ingress or egress thereto: (2) with intent to impede or disrupt the orderly conduct of Government business or official functions, to engage in disorderly or disruptive conduct in, or within such proximity to, any building or grounds designated in paragraph (1) when, or so that, such conduct, in fact, impedes or disrupts the orderly conduct of Government business or official functions; (3) willfully and knowingly to obstruct or impede ingress or egress to or from any building, grounds, or area designated or enumerated in paragraph (1); or (4) willfully and knowingly to engage in any act of physical violence against any person or property in any building, grounds, or area designated or enumerated in paragraph (1).

(d) The Secretary of the Treasury is authorized— (1) to designate by regulations the buildings and grounds which constitute the temporary residences of the President or other person protected by the Secret Service and the temporary offices of the President and his staff or of any other person protected by the Secret Service, and (2) to prescribe regulations governing ingress or egress to such buildings and grounds and to posted, cordoned off, or otherwise restricted areas where the President or other person protected by the Secret Service is or will be temporarily visiting.