• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun transport

ccunning

imported post

While not specifically an OC question, I think you all might be able to answer my question for me.

What is the law in Virginia regarding transportation of a gun? If I'm taking my gun to the shooting range, what do I need to do? I usually carry it its case with the mag removed but loaded in the trunk of my car. Is this sufficient? What if the vehicle I'm in doesn't have a trunk such as a Ford Bronco? Am I legal with the gun in the back cargo area? What if I want to ride my motorcycle to the range?

For the record, I do not have a CC permit yet, and I'm not ready to OC.

Thanks!

AbNo

imported post

This is how I roll. :lol:

gunsondashnv3.jpg

(not my car, but that's my XD)

Seriously, on the passenger seat, or on the dash is A-OK in VA. Hey, that rhymes....

Oh, and both that PA-63, and that XD-40 are Con2, and ready to go. And really, that's just because you can't Condition 1 and XD.

Got your motorcycle? OC just like you were walking down the street.

In short, as long as it's readily visible, you're good to go! :celebrate

So, get a gun rack for the long arms, or put them in a case, unloaded(?).

sitedzn

imported post

AbNo wrote:
This is how I roll. :lol:
(snip pic)
(not my car, but that's my XD)

Seriously, on the passenger seat, or on the dash is A-OK in VA. Hey, that rhymes....

Oh, and both that PA-63, and that XD-40 are Con2, and ready to go. And really, that's just because you can't Condition 1 and XD.

Got your motorcycle? OC just like you were walking down the street.

In short, as long as it's readily visible, you're good to go! :celebrate

So, get a gun rack for the long arms, or put them in a case, unloaded(?).
OK, call me stupid butI don't have an XD - why can't you carry condition 1 with an XD?

sitedzn

imported post

rlh2005 wrote:
The XDs are like the Glocks in they don't have a manual safety.

Although, a loaded with 1 in the pipe XD isn't Con2. In this condition, the XD's stiker assembly is charged which is functionally opposite of "the hammer is down."

List of carry conditions for reference
My M&P has no safety either (other than the trigger safety) and it doesn't keep my from carrying 1 in the pipe, which I would call condition 1. I guess it could be construed as condition 0 as all that is needed is a pull of the trigger to fire. Whichever "condition" it is, it won't change my method of carry. It's what I'm comfortable with, and that should be all that matters.

ccunning

imported post

I know I can open carry, but my question was more about what is the necessary state of the firearm if i choose not to open carry. My friend insists that condition 4 in the case in the trunk is insufficient and that the case needs to be locked as well.

Maybe going to the range was a bad example. What if instead I'm going to Kings Dominion, or somewhere else I know I am not permitted to carry my weapon.

AbNo

imported post

Fair enough. My mistake. Con states never really covered hammerless weapons very well. :D

ccunning wrote:
I know I can open carry, but my question was more about what is the necessary state of the firearm if i choose not to open carry. My friend insists that condition 4 in the case in the trunk is insufficient and that the case needs to be locked as well.

Maybe going to the range was a bad example. What if instead I'm going to Kings Dominion, or somewhere else I know I am not permitted to carry my weapon.

Why the hell would you go somewhere like that?

Anyway, legally? Stash it where it can't be seen, unloaded.

Practically? Lock it up in a safe somewhere/how.

www.center-of-mass.com has been listed as a good cite for car safes, I believe.

AbNo

imported post

Also, FWIW, when I was riding back from the range, and we got pulled over, the long arms were not in cases (didn't have any then), and the pistols were in bags, all unloaded.

No problems. The VA State Trooper was pretty nice, too.