• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Staunton News Follower

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Keep firearms decisions local

Before the mourning period for the 32 students and faculty members gunned down on April 16 at Virginia Tech by fellow student Seung-Hui Cho had ended, questions began to be asked about how another such murderous rampage could be headed off. The suggestions have ranged from the simple — installing interior door locks — to the expensive: installing more cameras on campus and hiring more security personnel. Inevitably, there has been discussion about the advisability of allowing students to carry concealed weapons with the inevitable argument in favor of that solution: had one student inside any of the classrooms Cho turned into a killing zone been armed, Cho's rampage would have been cut short quickly and dramatically.

The truth of the matter is that every suggestion that has been made about increasing security at campuses in Virginia and elsewhere remains in the realm of the theoretical and subject to a myriad of random factors. Under some circumstances, one of these suggestions might provide positive outcomes; in others, they may actually make things worse. Such is the case where allowing firearms on college campuses is concerned.

Proliferating the presence of firearms carried by students on campus may make concealed-carry and other gun advocates happy, but it is unlikely to have the deterrent effect that those advocates advertise.

The peculiarities of college life — the general lack of a home base where firearms might be securely stored, ready availability and use of alcohol and large numbers of young and often immature people — suggests that more bad outcomes may occur than good if large numbers of firearms are present.

We object to any attempt by lobbying groups to overturn universities or colleges rights to decide to ban firearms. We feel that the current policy used in Virginia, which allows institutions of higher learning to allow or forbid students to carry concealed weapons is adequate.

Blue Ridge Community College is not VCU and the University of Virginia in Charlottesville is not the same as its branch college located in Wise. A blanket decision about allowing firearms across the entire state is not the answer to making college students in Virginia safer. Keep it local.

Opinions expressed in this feature represent the majority opinion of the newspaper's editorial board, consisting of: Roger Watson, president and publisher; David Fritz, executive editor; Cindy Corell, local editor; Jim McCloskey, editorial cartoonist; and Dennis Neal, opinions editor.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Sorry, but your password cannot be retrieved because your account is currently inactive. Please contact the forum administrator for more information.
I thought that I had registered. I suppose that the censors found my opinion unacceptable.

I would respond, 'These editor wannabes (the last Real Editor is retired) would controvert the conclusions of Dr. John R. Lott, Jr. author of More Guns, Less Crime: Understanding Crime and Gun Control Laws in the United States based on their bathetic[sic] opinion?

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$

GreatWhiteLlama

imported post

the general lack of a home base where firearms might be securely stored, ready availability and use of alcohol and large numbers of young and often immature people — suggests that more bad outcomes may occur than good if large numbers of firearms are present.
That's funny, the Marines have managed to pull it off quite well for some time.

Perhaps this argument can be used to pull them out of Iraq; "I'm sorry, but 18 - 25 year olds are far too young and immature to be around firearms. It is simply too dangerous..."

We object to any attempt by lobbying groups to overturn universities or colleges rights to decide to ban firearms. We feel that the current policy used in Virginia, which allows institutions of higher learning to allow or forbid students to carry concealed weapons is adequate.

Well since THESE people object, that's all the reason I need...