• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CCW badge

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

The opinions from the gun owner/carrier communityI've readabout CCW badges indicate a low regard for same.

I pretty much go along with that. They're very "wannabe-ish."

State laws vary, but I think all states have some restrictions on at least shape, i.e., no 5-point stars.

unrequited

imported post

I hope you're not connected to the company at all seeing as it's your first post.

If you're concealing, what's the point of a badge to show people you're concealing?

If you ever need to prove your CCW/CHP legality the only thing that will do that is your issued permit which you're required to keep on you while CC'ing anyways in most states.

WIth these "badges" there's no legitimacy, no weight of law, but there's a very good chance you will get hit with impersonating an officer.

If you want to play cop, become one.

BTW, your link doesn't work.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

I think they are a horrible idea! Seems like you are asking to be arrested and charged with impersonating a police officer. I would recommend you stay away from CCW badges. No need to announce to the world that you have a concealed weapon. Why not just OC if someone is going to wear a badge?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

dngreer wrote:
Why not just OC if someone is going to wear a badge?

Hmmm, how about an OPEN CARRY badge....one that would be permitted by law, of course?

Put it right next to that Serpa....or on the belt....maybe hanging from the neck...

Could be a nice niche market for that...

dng

State Researcher
imported post

HankT wrote:
dngreer wrote:

Hmmm, how about an OPEN CARRY badge....one that would be permitted by law, of course?

Put it right next to that Serpa....or on the belt....maybe hanging from the neck...

Sarcasm, I hope? :D

Skuggi

imported post

Ok, I'm assuming the idea here is like you said to give people a sense of ease thinking your a cop.

Now, I can understand that, and everyone here who's had the jitters first time OCing could understand that too.

What I've come to the conclusion of in my life of OCing is:

1. I do not care what the other people think, who are they to judge my rights
2. If a cop shows up, I am not going to have a problem, if I do, I am going to be well compensated for my time.
3. One of the 3 main reasons I've stated I OC is comfort, so I really dont want anything else on my belt :)

So nope, not for me. I don't per say think it's a bad idea, I think it would possibly be a good idea for states that dont allow OCing for example to create a CC Badge themselves. But it leaves open for someone to say you were impersonating an officer. and if 4 people dont like you and say you were and you had a badge... Well then it'd be in the hands of the judge.

psmartin

imported post

freedom wrote:
New to the forum and my very first post.

Are CCW badges legal in PA?

Any pros and cons?

Take a look at the link below
http://www.ccwsupply.biz/BadgePAGE.htm

Welcome to the forum.

Any encounter you have with LEO's will be extremely negative, and they may throw you under the "bus" just for being a dip#### with a gun.

A badge implies authority, and without putting your nose to it, a "reasonable person" might assume you were"law enforcement."

Whatever you're doing to need to flash a "CCW badge", it's probably also grounded for being arrested. If you want to carry your CCW badge and a gun, arrange with your parents to have bail money ready, because your spouse probably won't bail you out.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

dngreer wrote:
HankT wrote:
dngreer wrote:

Sarcasm, I hope? :D
Oh, yeah. But we could probably actually sell a few...

freedom

imported post

unrequited wrote:
I hope you're not connected to the company at all seeing as it's your first post.

If you're concealing, what's the point of a badge to show people you're concealing?

No. I am not connected to any companies and yes good point... if cc why the need of a badge. Totally agree.

What I was thinking was more of a situation I ran in to about a month ago while walking from my car to a restaurant the wind blew my coat open and over the gun and a couple people standing outside while waiting saw it and I could here them talking about it. So I figure hey, some people I guess when they see guns on a civilian they tend to ramble, but if there was something next to the holster like a badge and the wind was to place the coat over the gun hey, that might put them at ease.

Than again like skuggi said, who cares about what others think. I totally agree with that too.

I am just asking questions and maybe stupid ones because I'm new in Pa and just trying to get a feel with the laws and whatelse.

I don't mean to waist nobody's time.

I greatly appreciate your answers and the time taken.

Thank you

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

I am just asking questions and maybe stupid ones because I'm new in Pa and just trying to get a feel with the laws and whatelse.

I don't mean to waist nobody's time.

I greatly appreciate your answers and the time taken.
The only "stupid" questions are those that are thought of but not asked. As for asking what the law is, this may indeed be the right place to do it.

No, you didn't waste (or waist) anybody's time.

Is the carrying of a badge, specifically a concealed carry badge, illegal? No, not without any other actions on your part to make people think you're a law enforcement officer of some sort. If they accidentally misconstrue you as being one without any action on your part, that's their problem, not yours. But, having a badge would not necessarily work in your favor with any incidents involving law enforcement officers.

Of course, this being Pennsylvania, if you have an LTCF and your concealed handgun is accidentally exposed, that's not illegal - no harm, no foul. Open carry is legal throughout the Commonwealth.

The only one who profits from you having a badge is the person who sold it to you. A badge is unnecessary. Nearly 600,000 Pennsylvanians are already licensed to carry firearms concealed - number-wise that's more than any other state in the Union.

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

+1 to Statkowski's comments to you. Some of the previous posters were unnecessarily rude. Don't take it personal. They are passionate about their disdain for those badges.
"Badges?! We don't need no stinkin BADGES!"

:)

Seriously, you asked a valid question, especially from a newbie. I suspect because you had a feeling the badges were hokey ;)
Again, your firearms does not need be concealed, and as long as you do not display your firearm in a manner to intimidate or threaten your A-OK.

Check out the PA Gun Rights Flyer in the law section to. It might help you as a "newbie" to PA.
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum61/3424.html

:monkey Welcome to the forum :monkey

Lthrnck

imported post

Well how about a secret badge... we could make one up and give it out like the Masons do.. then if you see a fellow gun toter... with the Secret Badge you could go up to them and give the Secret Squirrel handshake..

imperialism2024

imported post

My thoughts:

1) I would worry about the "impersonating an LEO" charge.

2) If you're using a proper holster and not "Mexican carrying" most people will assume you are LEO anyhow.

3) If people are uncomfortable around guns ('cause they go around killing people, ya know), then no badge or other symbol of authority will make them comfortable. They could see an LEO in full uniform and still talking to their friends about how terrible guns are.

4) It probably won't be long until people who are CCing are legally forced to wear badges. Or maybe stars... :uhoh:

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Lthrnck wrote:
Well how about a secret badge... we could make one up and give it out like the Masons do.. then if you see a fellow gun toter... with the Secret Badge you could go up to them and give the Secret Squirrel handshake..

For those of you who don't already know, here is the secret handshake. Be aware, be prepared!

postcard-front.jpg

Please, do not share this with any outsiders.

freedom

imported post

I'm glad I've found this site a couple of days ago, lots of good info.

Many thanks toall of you who have answered my questions and no! No offense taken in any ways.

Hope to be able to contribute in this forum by being able tohelp a new comeror sharemy personal experiences with others.

Thank youagain

cato

imported post

I've always wanted a blue wind breaker that says "UNITED STATESUNORGANIZEDMILITIA- Title 10 Sec. 311"! Maybe I'll finally get one! :lol:I just might!

Tomahawk

imported post

Lthrnck wrote:
We could have a gang sign...or a decoder ring.