• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Any joggers out there?

JB

imported post

I have recently started jogging around my home and would like to bring a pistol along with me. The first time out I took a 357 snubby in a bianchi accumold and it didn't ride very well. I ended up holding my right arm against the gun to keep it from flopping around. Since then I have gone without and would feel alot better with something to ward off dogs and parolee's. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Shoulder holster maybe? You might be able to run easier if the gun wasn't flopping around on your hip. Or you could strap a gun on each ankle and use them as ankle weights.:D It would condition your legs pretty quick.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

It's really too hard to run carrying a gun. Not worth the trouble. Too heavy. Just find somewhere sometime to run where it's reasonably safe and go without. I hear you about the dogs, though, having gotten bit once while running in the neighborhood. Carry some dog repellant for that. Those little cans are light.

Best thing is to find some nice safe park, campus or hiking trail and go run there. Or run with a group.

One of those little pocket guns in a fanny pack would probably work, too.

I'd say, leave home without it, though. Live dangerously.

Besides, if you train decently, you will be able to outrun 50-90% of the bad guys, anyways...

dng

State Researcher
imported post

HankT wrote:
It's really too hard to run carrying a gun. Not worth the trouble. Too heavy. Just find somewhere sometime to run where it's reasonably safe and go without. I hear you about the dogs, though, having gotten bit once while running in the neighborhood. Carry some dog repellant for that. Those little cans are light.

Best thing is to find some nice safe park, campus or hiking trail and go run there. Or run with a group.

One of those little pocket guns in a fanny pack would probably work, too.

I'd say, leave home without it, though. Live dangerously.

Besides, if you train decently, you will be able to outrun 50-90% of the bad guys, anyways...
I am disappointed you think that way HankT. Things always seem to happen in "safe" places where people think nothing will happen. I couldn't live with myself if I decided to skip carrying a gun because I thought I was "reasonably safe". Not a risk I am willing to take, and hopefully not too many other people on here are willing to either. I don't know if you are male or female, JB, but carrying is especially a good idea if you are female.

JB

imported post

I like the leg weight idea! I am a male, and I work nights so I have gotten into the habbit of running after work. Anywhere from 11 pm to 2 am. I considered buying a "mouse gun", I looked at NAA's and Bob (Tom?) cats. I couldn't see paying $300 dollars for a tiny gun, I'd rather add a couple hundred and pick up a pt1911. For now I'll probably just take a pocket knife, I did encounter a good sized dog the other night. He didn't seem too intereted in me but I'd hate to get bitten.

On another note, any opinions on listening to my ipod while running? It helps the time pass but also makes me completely oblivious to anything not right in front of me. I don't know what the associated color code is for rocking out to AC/DC, but I know it diminishes my awareness. Maybe I'm worrying too much about it.

Thanks for the replies.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Not as much as I should, but occasionally. Why do you ask? You wouldn't happen tobe asking a question like "does HankT actually carry", would you?:lol: If you would like to know how I carryon theoccasion that I do run, just ask. I carry a small 22 cal handgunin a holster, OCed. Most the time on my hip.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

JB wrote:
On another note, any opinions on listening to my ipod while running? It helps the time pass but also makes me completely oblivious to anything not right in front of me. I don't know what the associated color code is for rocking out to AC/DC, but I know it diminishes my awareness. Maybe I'm worrying too much about it.

Thanks for the replies.
I would worry about that too. Easy to get into a song, and not pay as much attention as one should.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

dngreer wrote:
Not as much as I should, but occasionally. Why do you ask? You wouldn't happen tobe asking a question like "does HankT actually carry", would you?:lol: If you would like to know how I carryon theoccasion that I do run, just ask. I carry a small 22 cal handgunin a holster, OCed. Most the time on my hip.

No. I was just trying to see if you had ever tried it. I have, its sucks. A pee-wee gun could work, as I suggested above.

A regular size gun, even a J-frame is just a pain in the side to run with. If I'd try it again, well, I wouldn't. I don't see how a pee wee gun would help, either, with a big mean pooch or a big mean parolee. I run into several dogs and have had good luck getting by them. I know when to run through and when to run back. Although I failed once and the pooch tagged me. I raised a big stink about it.

I just don't see much of a need, unless you are running through a really rough hood or something like that.

In normal neighborhoods, you're either going to be safe in the first place or all you have to do to stay clear of the parolees is to stay in Condition Yellow.

What you posted earlier is wrong:

Things always seem to happen in "safe" places where people think nothing will happen.

That's not true. Always is a bad word to use. Easy to refute.

Almost always...

captainamerica

imported post

Mouse guns WILL kill more than just mice. A Kel Tec 9mm or .380comes to mind or a Kahr 9mm. If concealed carry is possible then maybe a fanny pack. Or how about a belly band holster or an ankle holster. Or pocket carry.

I'm thinking there is a small backpack style carrier for concealed carry that fits on the belly/chest or between the shoulder blades that might work too. Can't remember where I saw it last. Then there's these:

http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterT3.asp?ProductID=2243&CatalogID=394

http://www.odspec.com/tacticalgear/max/max.html

http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/RRU897/

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

JB wrote:
I like the leg weight idea! I am a male, and I work nights so I have gotten into the habbit of running after work. Anywhere from 11 pm to 2 am. I considered buying a "mouse gun", I looked at NAA's and Bob (Tom?) cats. I couldn't see paying $300 dollars for a tiny gun, I'd rather add a couple hundred and pick up a pt1911. For now I'll probably just take a pocket knife, I did encounter a good sized dog the other night. He didn't seem too intereted in me but I'd hate to get bitten.

Yeah, well it's easy to zone out while listening to tunes...and getting into a running rhythm. Do it at your own risk. Cars, dogs, parolees ...are all out there, so use your judgment. If you want to be oblivious, then you must like it. I'm not sure that is compatible with carrying a gun, though. Something has to go--obliviousness or the gun.

I just thought of something that I did for a while, since you mentioned running at night in your neighborhood. I did that for a several years and got hassled by some jokers in a pickup who seemed to be driving around the neighborhood. Since I was no match for a truckload of yokels, I just ran away. But I was concerned. So for a while when I ran in the same neighborhood at night, I carried a large box end Craftsman wrench in one hand and my Walkman in the other. The wrench was surprisingly carry-able (it was kind of like a baton) and since it was dark, didn't attract any attention. Saw the blokes again every once in a while but I never got hassled again.

Carry what you want. But I think running is one of those activities where it is really hard to do what you would normally do while just walking around. So, time and choice of running location become more important. You can't carry 24/7.

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

I just answered this same question on another board today ...

I wrote:
Fanny packs suck to run with. Been there, done that. I prefer a pancake holster w/thumbstrap. They can be had in leather or reinforced ballistic nylon/cordura (if you can find on for your gun) This type holster will not flop around as it hugs the body closer than other OWB designs. It is most useful if you can wear it open, otherwise a large t-shirt is in order, big enough to conceal it.
;)

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Pa. Patriot wrote:
I just answered this same question on another board today ...

I wrote:
Fanny packs suck to run with. Been there, done that. I prefer a pancake holster w/thumbstrap. They can be had in leather or reinforced ballistic nylon/cordura (if you can find on for your gun) This type holster will not flop around as it hugs the body closer than other OWB designs. It is most useful if you can wear it open, otherwise a large t-shirt is in order, big enough to conceal it.

With a small gun, a fanny pack can work. One can put a plastic shield inside against the body side and some padding in the form of some cloth to fill up the fanny pack volume so the gundoesn't flop around.

Moisture is a big problem with carrying a gun while jogging. Sweat is hard on a gun.

Tomahawk wrote:
NAA Mini-Revolver .22WMR worn in an arm-band like the kind you use for mp3 players. They're tiny and lightweight.
That's a very interesting idea. I can see how that would work.

Reminds me of something I was going to try out but never did. I bought one of those neoprene belt carriers for a portable CD player and I intended to see if I could use it somehow as kind of a running holster. I'll have to find it and see if it is doable. The volume of the container was just the right size for a small revo or semi-auto.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I've carried a P3AT on many a run in a fanny pack, plus a cell phone and my ASP Defender and IDs. I've also done it with a shoulder rig but only when its cool enough for a zip up sweatshirt. Don't use a belly band, at least not one without a retention strap.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

longwatch wrote:
I've also done it with a shoulder rig but only when its cool enough for a zip up sweatshirt.

I'm with you on this one. I can't see running with a visible shoulder rig being acceptable. Especially with a big gun. And if you're carrying extra mags (I can't imagine why.), ugh, sweat on everything...

Hmmm, another thought. That Taser X26c might be a solution for the runner's problem. I saw one at a gun show recently--$1000!

But those things are very light compared to a gun.

JB

imported post

Well I'm preparing to head out again ( unarmed). I appreciate all the comments. I do have a CWP so concealement isn't an issue. Nor is sweat; my 357 is an inexpensive Rossi. I don't intend to abuse it, but I won't lose any sleep over cosmetic wear. I'm leaning towards an NAA type revolver, but we'll see what the cashflow situation is. Classes start back up at the end of the month so I should probably pay for books and tuition first. :)