• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Any joggers out there?

GreatWhiteLlama

imported post

I've ran while carrying my Kahr P9 in one of these. No flopping and reasonably comfortable.

But as HankT mentioned, the sweat thing sucks. I'd recommend a shoulder holster for CC or a thigh holster for OC.

I would’ve already purchased a thigh holster for mine but nobody seems to like to make holsters for anything but Glock’s, XD’s and 1911’s…

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

Pa. Patriot wrote:
I just answered this same question on another board today ...

I wrote:
Fanny packs suck to run with. Been there, done that. I prefer a pancake holster w/thumbstrap. They can be had in leather or reinforced ballistic nylon/cordura (if you can find on for your gun) This type holster will not flop around as it hugs the body closer than other OWB designs. It is most useful if you can wear it open, otherwise a large t-shirt is in order, big enough to conceal it.
;)

Im in agreement with this comment. I havea 'fanny pack' and I hate even walking with it on. I find that I adjust its placement from 'front' (so I might be able to access the contents while driving) to the strong side (so i may access the contents as if i were drawing from a belt.) I imagine if I ever chose to run with it on, it would flop up and down, punching me in the 'sack' or bounce on my hip convincing me not to continue running in spite of a clear need to monitor my diet and engage in regular excersize. I imagine this being an issue with a shoulder holster, bouncing and jostling around... which wouldnt constitute open carry in California...

I think if you must be armed while running, you should select a firearm that will not jostle (ie;a real little gun or a very secure holster or both)or run with a rifle at quarter arms....

tarzan1888

imported post

JB wrote:
I have recently started jogging around my home and would like to bring a pistol along with me. The first time out I took a 357 snubby in a bianchi accumold and it didn't ride very well. I ended up holding my right arm against the gun to keep it from flopping around. Since then I have gone without and would feel alot better with something to ward off dogs and parolee's. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I don't like running as I did to much of that in track in High School. I ride a bike and carry my .357 snubby in a fanny pack.

Works for me.:celebrate

CPerdue

imported post

I've put a mouse gun in a velcro-strap type ankle holster and worn it on my weak-side biceps, outside, muzzle up (with a retention strap of course). I've also carried the same gun in a small pouch with a hand-strap. I stole both of these ideas from people carrying CD players to run with. Neither was 100% but OK.

I also did a full-size in a fanny pack at 6 O'clock, with the belt cinched tight - lousy draw time!

I suppose a thigh rig would work if the lower strap didn't chafe too much.

I guess the best idea is to find someone else to run with and split the awareness burden.

JB

imported post

I would like to run w/ a friend or two, but my schedule is so different from theirs it would be tough. Maybe I'll pick up a small can of pepper spray. Should be adequate enough to quell any four legged attacks.

tarzan1888

imported post

JB wrote:
I would like to run w/ a friend or two, but my schedule is so different from theirs it would be tough. Maybe I'll pick up a small can of pepper spray. Should be adequate enough to quell any four legged attacks.

Beware of "cross-contamination" and remember any of the following things can happen if you use spray.

1. You spray yourself and do not deter the attacker. (which way is the wind blowing)

2. Your spray has no effect on the attacker.

3. Your spray angers the attacker and intensifies the attack.

4. Your spray stops the attack.

These all can be true with man or beast.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

HankT wrote:
dngreer wrote:
Not as much as I should, but occasionally. Why do you ask? You wouldn't happen tobe asking a question like "does HankT actually carry", would you?:lol: If you would like to know how I carryon theoccasion that I do run, just ask. I carry a small 22 cal handgunin a holster, OCed. Most the time on my hip.

No. I was just trying to see if you had ever tried it. I have, its sucks. A pee-wee gun could work, as I suggested above.

A regular size gun, even a J-frame is just a pain in the side to run with. If I'd try it again, well, I wouldn't. I don't see how a pee wee gun would help, either, with a big mean pooch or a big mean parolee. I run into several dogs and have had good luck getting by them. I know when to run through and when to run back. Although I failed once and the pooch tagged me. I raised a big stink about it.

I just don't see much of a need, unless you are running through a really rough hood or something like that.

In normal neighborhoods, you're either going to be safe in the first place or all you have to do to stay clear of the parolees is to stay in Condition Yellow.

What you posted earlier is wrong:

Things always seem to happen in "safe" places where people think nothing will happen.

That's not true. Always is a bad word to use. Easy to refute.

Almost always...

I RUN perfectly fine with my Kimber Pro TLE/RLII (4inch) in my Serpa holster ( the best to run with is the Belt Loop attachment but the Paddle works Ok)

HankT...,

UNLESS you ACTUALLYRUN and ACTUALLYCARRY a GUN you wouldn't know any better:p

dng

State Researcher
imported post

tarzan1888 wrote:
3. You spray angers the attacker and intensifies the attack.
Friend of mine sprayed a dog that was chasing her, and got bitten 5? times for her trouble.

tarzan1888

imported post

dngreer wrote:
tarzan1888 wrote:
3. Your spray angers the attacker and intensifies the attack.
Friend of mine sprayed a dog that was chasing her, and got bitten 5? times for her trouble.

That is good information dngreer. :what:

The problem is that you don't know until it is to late, what the effect of the spray will be. The exceptions are individually more rare than the intended response, perhaps, but all of the exceptions are bad news for you, and when you lump them together, you don't have the edge you would like.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I'll cover a few angles on why I do what I do when I run.

I carry my Kel-Tec P-32 in my wallet holster in the back double-buttoned pocket of my BDUs.

1) It actually weighs less than, and bounces around less than, my wallet in the other pocket. If I didn't need the permit that is in my wallet, I'd leave it at home before I left my gun at home.

2) Yeah, it's 32 ACP. So? Maybe one round is seemingly wimpy, but even with a 10mm, would you only pull the trigger once?

3) They can be found for $200 and are damn reliable guns: AFTER YOU BREAK THEM IN A BIT.

4) It's so small and easy to carry that there is simply NO EXCUSE to not have it.

5) I tried ankle. Your legs move a lot farther than your hip did. A lot more swinging it around. It chaffes, you will have blisters and you will bleed. Well, that was my experience, even with it on the outside of my sock. YMMV. I just don't trust any retention when I sprint. Anything that feels secure enough is next to impossible to get at quickly if I need it.

6) "Gimmie your wallet!" "Ok, [Blam, Blam, Blam]" Going for your wewapon doesn't seem unusual. Tho, it's also possible the bad guy will want to grab for it himself and not let you... That could happen with any kind of carry though. It's not as easy to get the jump on someone who is running, you usually will see it comming. Don't jog around any blind corners, easy enough.

tarzan1888

imported post

HankT wrote:
What you posted earlier is wrong:

Things always seem to happen in "safe" places where people think nothing will happen.

That's not true. Always is a bad word to use. Easy to refute.

Almost always...

Be careful HankT will catch you in your words.

It is usually a good idea to avoid all-inclusive statements, as few things in this universe are universal.

I do agree that you are usually right tough.

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

HankT wrote:
It's really too hard to run carrying a gun. Not worth the trouble. Too heavy. Just find somewhere sometime to run where it's reasonably safe and go without. I hear you about the dogs, though, having gotten bit once while running in the neighborhood. Carry some dog repellant for that. Those little cans are light.

Best thing is to find some nice safe park, campus or hiking trail and go run there. Or run with a group.

One of those little pocket guns in a fanny pack would probably work, too.

I'd say, leave home without it, though. Live dangerously.

Besides, if you train decently, you will be able to outrun 50-90% of the bad guys, anyways...

Hank, I think you argue just for the sake of arguing.

What leads you to believe that you are invincible while running?

Always carry your gun unless it's 100% illegal to do so... I wear my pistol to go take a dump.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:
HankT wrote:
It's really too hard to run carrying a gun. Not worth the trouble. Too heavy. Just find somewhere sometime to run where it's reasonably safe and go without. I hear you about the dogs, though, having gotten bit once while running in the neighborhood. Carry some dog repellant for that. Those little cans are light.

Best thing is to find some nice safe park, campus or hiking trail and go run there. Or run with a group.

Besides, if you train decently, you will be able to outrun 50-90% of the bad guys, anyways...

Always carry your gun unless it's 100% illegal to do so... I wear my pistol to go take a dump.
"Always carry your gun unless it's 100% illegal to do so... "

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where was it I read that if Cops and Outlaws were the ONLY ones to have have Guns...I would be an outlaw ????

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:
HankT wrote:

I didn't say (or think) I was invincible while running.

Just that the cost/benefit analysis strongly favors: no gun on the run.

You can tell from the comments in this very threadas in indicator thatvery few people disagree.

Anyway, I like theidea of doing an analysis of whether to carry or not (and what to carry) in a given situation. No need to get locked into a pattern orparadigm that is suboptimal or even inneffective.

Isee the needfor a healthy self-defense protocol in allour lives. But I don't think that equates walking around armed 24/7. That's not normal. Hardly anyone does it.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

HankT wrote:
Isee the needfor a healthy self-defense protocol in allour lives. But I don't think that equates walking around armed 24/7. I walk around armed almost 24/7; what's that say about me? That I plan on being prepared if something were to happen. Same reason I always wear my seatbelt when I'm in the car. That's not normal. Good, I wouldn't want to be considered "normal" by this society. Hardly anyone does it. Well, there's at least one; ME!

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

dngreer wrote:
HankT wrote:
Isee the needfor a healthy self-defense protocol in allour lives. But I don't think that equates walking around armed 24/7. That's not normal. Good, I wouldn't want to be considered "normal" by this society. Hardly anyone does it.
I walk around armed almost 24/7; what's that say about me? That I plan on being prepared if something were to happen. Same reason I always wear my seatbelt when I'm in the car.

"Almost 24/7" 24/7

dngreer wrote:
Well, there's at least one; ME!
Nah, by your own admission, youdon't do it. You "almost" do it....you don't really do it.

Nobody normal carries 24/7, I'd suggest....

dng

State Researcher
imported post

You're right, I'm wrong. The closest anyone will come to carrying 24/7 is almost 24/7. No one carries while they are naked in the shower, swimming in a pool, giving birth, or many other things. But the argument is pointless, so I'm done. ;)