Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Under 21 purchasing a handgun

Post imported post

to purchase a handgun, you must be 21 years or older... BUT.... you may OWN a handgun if youre 18... so how does this work? take dad with me to get it, have his name signed? andddd on KSL.com, some of the gun sales say "must be 21, AND own a CWP" last time i checked, you dont need a CWP to purchase a handgun in UT... am i wrong? lol

Post imported post

Buying the handgun for you would be a straw purchace and is Illegal. You do not need a CFP, but you must be 21.

Post imported post

not true. my dad can buy it for me, the law states 21 to buy, 18 to own

Post imported post

A. Child Access Prevention Law? No.
    Definition
    Juvenile Possession Law? Yes.
    Definition
    Juvenile Sale/Transfer Law? Yes.
    Definition

State RequirementsRifles and Shotguns
    • Permit to purchase rifles and shotguns? No.

• Registration of rifles and shotguns? No.

• Licensing of owners of rifles and shotguns? No.

• Permit to carry rifles and shotguns? No.

Handguns
    • Permit to purchase handgun? No.

• Registration of handguns? No.

• Licensing of owners of handguns? No.

• Permit to carry handguns? Yes. A permit is required if concealed.

Other Requirements
    • Is there a State waiting period? No.

• Is there a FBI *NICS check for firearm transactions? No. State system.

• Permit to carry a concealed weapon required? Yes.

• Record of sale: No.

*NICS - National Instant Check System

Post imported post

1. You must be 21 to purchase from an FFL.

2. You must be 18 to purchase from a non-FFL on your own.

3. You can be any age to purchase from a non-FFL, if accompanied by a parent or guardian.

4. The CFP merely exempts you from the NICS process (but of course you must be 21 to have a CFP or buy from an FFL).

5. Someone else can purchase a firearm from an FFL and give it to you if it is a bona fide gift.

6. Someone else cannot purchase a firearm from an FFL on your behalf even if he claims it is a gift.

7. Any questions?

Post imported post

so... i can only get a gun from an FFL if dad orders it and gives it to me as a gift?

Post imported post

That's not what I wrote. Read it again. The key phrase is bona fide. I don't think your dad intended to buy a firearm as a gift for you. I think you want to use him to do an end run around the law. This would be a straw purchase. Why not purchase privately (with you dad's assistance if required). You would probably get a better deal and won't run the risk of putting yourself or the old man in the clink. This board is general conversation. Thoroughly investigate all the laws (federal, state, local) before purchasing.

Post imported post

OHHHHHHHHH so ON MY OWN i cant... butifdad (or other parent) is with me, i can purchase it from an FFL?

Post imported post

Where is this written? You know you really ought to rethink this whole idea. You are having difficulty with the concepts. That's not moral failing but you are starting to sound more and more "hinky."

Post imported post

OR

move to another state for 30 days that has the minimum age to purchase handgun as 18

Post imported post

i misread, sorry, i just woke up from a nap a couple mins ago lol. what do you mean "hinky"? and this is sounding impossible to purchase from an FFL (unless my stupidity seems to be getting in the way)

Post imported post

You are having difficulty with the concepts as well. How would this be different from Utah? (Hint: Read my first post).

freedom1776 wrote:
    OR

move to another state for 30 days that has the minimum age to purchase handgun as 18

Post imported post

apjonas wrote:
    That's not what I wrote. Read it again. The key phrase is bona fide. I don't think your dad intended to buy a firearm as a gift for you. I think you want to use him to do an end run around the law. This would be a straw purchase. Why not purchase privately (with you dad's assistance if required). You would probably get a better deal and won't run the risk of putting yourself or the old man in the clink. This board is general conversation.
    "Thoroughly investigate all the laws (federal, state, local) before purchasing."
    this is what im trying to do

and i never started out asking about FFL's lol

Post imported post

b1ack5mith wrote:
    i misread, sorry, i just woke up from a nap a couple mins ago lol. what do you mean "hinky"? and this is sounding impossible to purchase from an FFL (unless my stupidity seems to be getting in the way)
    It means that something is wrong with this picture. Once you are fully conscious, read my posts. I will say that it IS impossible for you to purchase a handgun from an FFL.

Post imported post

and i have a Q... if you can be 18 to buy from a NON FFL on my own... whos to say that guy didnt just buy it from an FFL then sell it to me?

Post imported post

thank you apjonas

Post imported post

b1ack5mith wrote:
    and i have a Q... if you can be 18 to buy from a NON FFL on my own... whos to say that guy didnt just buy it from an FFL then sell it to me?
    Well ask yourself - why would somebody do that?

Post imported post

i duno lol... but everyone bought their guns at an ffl at some point

Post imported post

apjonas wrote:
    Where is this written?* You know you really ought to rethink this whole idea.* You are having difficulty with the concepts.* That's not moral failing but you are starting to sound more and more "hinky."
    Don't be so quick to blame him. I can't understand what you are trying to say either.

Post imported post

thank you particle!!!

but if i wanted to buy a gun off gunbroker.com, id need to be 21? (since its working thru the FFL)

Post imported post

To my understanding, yes, you'd need to be 21. Well, technically speaking, you could win an auction by bidding, but your local FFL that you'd have to have it shipped to wouldn't be able to actually give it to you. You wouldn't pass the background & age check/requirements.

Post imported post

aww man :/ BUTTTT like that other dude said, i can buy from a person (like on a classified ad or somethin) which would work but i guess itll be ALOOOOT harder to find a gun ill like (or a person who will sell to an 18 year old)

Post imported post

It's not so bad. I didn't get the unstoppable burning desire to own handguns until about a month before my 21st birthday despite always wanting some really classy models I'd seen.

Post imported post

aww XD well atleast yer still young! i think im pretty sure im gunna get the hipoint c9 (9mm) for the first handgun... its cheap, lifetime warranty... and i need to get a gun for my gal anyways, so ill give this one to her next summer (but now i need 100$... i mean, i have the money, but im goin to KY, and thatll leave me with 200-300$, IF IM CAREFUL, and chances are, im gunna buy a ton of stuff when i go lol) but soon i might be goin on a job with dad, and if not, o well, ill grab a part time job ANYWHERE and i should be able to make the money in no time the thing issssssss... no one will wanna hire someone whos goin to KY sept 26-oct 1st... or will they...? lol, id pretty much take any kinda job XD anyone in the payson UT area know of any hire-ers? the place next door took down the "hiring" sign, but across the street is a nice little area, maybe ill check it out for "help wanted" signs tomarrow?

Post imported post

b1ack5mith wrote:
    i think im pretty sure im gunna get the hipoint c9 (9mm) for the first handgun... its cheap, lifetime warranty...
    If I were you I would stay clear of HiPoint. They're cheap not only in price, but quality as well. If you buy cheap you'll buy twice. Save your money and get a better quality gun. Used Glock's, Sig's, or H&K's are still reliable and they are usually very good deals.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast