• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Under 21 purchasing a handgun

b1ack5mith

imported post

to purchase a handgun, you must be 21 years or older... BUT.... you may OWN a handgun if youre 18... so how does this work? take dad with me to get it, have his name signed? andddd on KSL.com, some of the gun sales say "must be 21, AND own a CWP" last time i checked, you dont need a CWP to purchase a handgun in UT... am i wrong? lol

b1ack5mith

imported post

A. Child Access Prevention Law? No.
Definition
Juvenile Possession Law? Yes.
Definition
Juvenile Sale/Transfer Law? Yes.
Definition

State RequirementsRifles and Shotguns
  • Permit to purchase rifles and shotguns? No.

• Registration of rifles and shotguns? No.

• Licensing of owners of rifles and shotguns? No.

• Permit to carry rifles and shotguns? No.

Handguns
  • Permit to purchase handgun? No.

• Registration of handguns? No.

• Licensing of owners of handguns? No.

• Permit to carry handguns? Yes. A permit is required if concealed.

Other Requirements
  • Is there a State waiting period? No.

• Is there a FBI *NICS check for firearm transactions? No. State system.

• Permit to carry a concealed weapon required? Yes.

• Record of sale: No.
*NICS - National Instant Check System

apjonas

imported post

1. You must be 21 to purchase from an FFL.

2. You must be 18 to purchase from a non-FFL on your own.

3. You can be any age to purchase from a non-FFL, if accompanied by a parent or guardian.

4. The CFP merely exempts you from the NICS process (but of course you must be 21 to have a CFP or buy from an FFL).

5. Someone else can purchase a firearm from an FFL and give it to you if it is a bona fide gift.

6. Someone else cannot purchase a firearm from an FFL on your behalf even if he claims it is a gift.

7. Any questions?

apjonas

imported post

That's not what I wrote. Read it again. The key phrase is bona fide. I don't think your dad intended to buy a firearm as a gift for you. I think you want to use him to do an end run around the law. This would be a straw purchase. Why not purchase privately (with you dad's assistance if required). You would probably get a better deal and won't run the risk of putting yourself or the old man in the clink. This board is general conversation. Thoroughly investigate all the laws (federal, state, local) before purchasing.

apjonas

imported post

Where is this written? You know you really ought to rethink this whole idea. You are having difficulty with the concepts. That's not moral failing but you are starting to sound more and more "hinky."

freedom1776

imported post

OR

move to another state for 30 days that has the minimum age to purchase handgun as 18

b1ack5mith

imported post

i misread, sorry, i just woke up from a nap a couple mins ago lol. what do you mean "hinky"? and this is sounding impossible to purchase from an FFL (unless my stupidity seems to be getting in the way)

apjonas

imported post

You are having difficulty with the concepts as well. How would this be different from Utah? (Hint: Read my first post).

freedom1776 wrote:
OR

move to another state for 30 days that has the minimum age to purchase handgun as 18

b1ack5mith

imported post

apjonas wrote:
That's not what I wrote. Read it again. The key phrase is bona fide. I don't think your dad intended to buy a firearm as a gift for you. I think you want to use him to do an end run around the law. This would be a straw purchase. Why not purchase privately (with you dad's assistance if required). You would probably get a better deal and won't run the risk of putting yourself or the old man in the clink. This board is general conversation.
"Thoroughly investigate all the laws (federal, state, local) before purchasing."

this is what im trying to do ;)

and i never started out asking about FFL's lol

apjonas

imported post

b1ack5mith wrote:
i misread, sorry, i just woke up from a nap a couple mins ago lol. what do you mean "hinky"? and this is sounding impossible to purchase from an FFL (unless my stupidity seems to be getting in the way)
It means that something is wrong with this picture. Once you are fully conscious, read my posts. I will say that it IS impossible for you to purchase a handgun from an FFL.

b1ack5mith

imported post

and i have a Q... if you can be 18 to buy from a NON FFL on my own... whos to say that guy didnt just buy it from an FFL then sell it to me?

apjonas

imported post

b1ack5mith wrote:
and i have a Q... if you can be 18 to buy from a NON FFL on my own... whos to say that guy didnt just buy it from an FFL then sell it to me?
Well ask yourself - why would somebody do that?

Particle

imported post

apjonas wrote:
Where is this written?  You know you really ought to rethink this whole idea.  You are having difficulty with the concepts.  That's not moral failing but you are starting to sound more and more "hinky."

Don't be so quick to blame him. I can't understand what you are trying to say either.