• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Under 21 purchasing a handgun

Particle

imported post

To my understanding, yes, you'd need to be 21. Well, technically speaking, you could win an auction by bidding, but your local FFL that you'd have to have it shipped to wouldn't be able to actually give it to you. You wouldn't pass the background & age check/requirements.

b1ack5mith

imported post

aww man :/ BUTTTT like that other dude said, i can buy from a person (like on a classified ad or somethin) which would work ;) but i guess itll be ALOOOOT harder to find a gun ill like (or a person who will sell to an 18 year old)

Particle

imported post

It's not so bad. I didn't get the unstoppable burning desire to own handguns until about a month before my 21st birthday despite always wanting some really classy models I'd seen.

b1ack5mith

imported post

aww XD well atleast yer still young! i think im pretty sure im gunna get the hipoint c9 (9mm) for the first handgun... its cheap, lifetime warranty... and i need to get a gun for my gal anyways, so ill give this one to her next summer (but now i need 100$... i mean, i have the money, but im goin to KY, and thatll leave me with 200-300$, IF IM CAREFUL, and chances are, im gunna buy a ton of stuff when i go lol) but soon i might be goin on a job with dad, and if not, o well, ill grab a part time job ANYWHERE and i should be able to make the money in no time :) the thing issssssss... no one will wanna hire someone whos goin to KY sept 26-oct 1st... or will they...? lol, id pretty much take any kinda job XD anyone in the payson UT area know of any hire-ers? the place next door took down the "hiring" sign, but across the street is a nice little area, maybe ill check it out for "help wanted" signs tomarrow?

Enthusiast

imported post

b1ack5mith wrote:
i think im pretty sure im gunna get the hipoint c9 (9mm) for the first handgun... its cheap, lifetime warranty...
If I were you I would stay clear of HiPoint. They're cheap not only in price, but quality as well. If you buy cheap you'll buy twice. Save your money and get a better quality gun. Used Glock's, Sig's, or H&K's are still reliable and they are usually very good deals.

xmirage2kx

imported post

Enthusiast wrote:
b1ack5mith wrote:
i think im pretty sure im gunna get the hipoint c9 (9mm) for the first handgun... its cheap, lifetime warranty...
If I were you I would stay clear of HiPoint. They're cheap not only in price, but quality as well. If you buy cheap you'll buy twice. Save your money and get a better quality gun. Used Glock's, Sig's, or H&K's are still reliable and they are usually very good deals.
One thing, if you buy a cheap gun, later you will want a nice one. This is a true fact.So you will end up spending more in the long run.

However if $600 is a long way off and you have $100 now then it’s not a bad investment. Alsoyou can sell it for almost the same price, so you are not really out any money.

I know it is hard to save up $600-$1000 to buy a nice handgun and all the gear. I got started with a highpoint and holster for under $100 new (due to coupons and sales). If I were to sell it today I could still get $100 for it, maybe even $150 due to inflation. And if I don’t sell it, I still am only out a day or two at the range.

b1ack5mith

imported post

i really do want the hipoint for starting, and to give to my girl eventually :) but i need to figure out how to legally buy one (im 18)

Particle

imported post

b1ack5mith wrote:
so what is the LEGAL way for me to get a handgun? the people who sell them usually only allow 21+ and CCW permit holders

You don't need a CCW to buy a handgun ANYwhere as far as I know. Not everybody buys them with the intent to conceal & carry. Take me for instance--I just love target shooting with them. I use them instead of rifles so I don't have to sit my targets out so far. Yeah, I'm lazy.

Enthusiast

imported post

Enthusiast wrote:
HiPointmay beall right for plinking, but I WOULD NEVER TRUST MY LIFE TO ONE!!!

Narcisist

imported post

I have a hipoint c-9 and I shoot it as often as any of my other guns, and so far despite hundreds of rounds I haven't experienced a single stoppage, which is better than I can say for my Ruger. I bought it used too. It has features that I appreciate too, like having to have the action open to disassemble so there's very little chancefor the NDs' that glocks and Sigmas' are prone too, especiallywhen you add in complacent owners.

b1ack5mith

imported post

well i just made 35$ from online surveys, so thats goin towards my "HIPOINT FUND"! :) if anyone wants the site to making money from online surveys, send me a message! i made 35$ in just a couple days of barely workin em, i was mostly just talkin to friends (money to talk to friends... thats my kinda money!)