• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Happy to have found this place!

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

I am rather happy I found this website! I have always thought that Washington was at least "technically" an OC state. I live in Olympia and carry concealed. The nature of my job does not really allow me to get verbal over politics with store managers, I need to keep them friendly :)

I did email the several law enforcement agencies in Thurston County and asked them acknowledge the right to open carry. Will see what comes of that.

Feel like crap right now so will pop on later.

Steve

metricinch

imported post

Welcome!

I am from Oly originally my self. I have yet to OC there on public property, but will be the next time I am in town to visit my mother. Let us know how OC in Thurston Co. goes!

-Kevin

gregma

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
I am rather happy I found this website! I have always thought that Washington was at least "technically" an OC state. I live in Olympia and carry concealed. The nature of my job does not really allow me to get verbal over politics with store managers, I need to keep them friendly :)

I did email the several law enforcement agencies in Thurston County and asked them acknowledge the right to open carry. Will see what comes of that.

Feel like crap right now so will pop on later.

Steve
Welcome to the group! I'd be curious what kind of replies you get on the subject.

freedom1776

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:

I am not judgeing you for asking them but your right to carry a firearm is an "unalienable right" that existed before the Constitution was signed. The Bill of Rights is a limitation on thegovernment so theycan't deny thatunalienable right. Why do you think that you have to ask for permission from ANY law enforcement agency for a unalienable right that existed BEFORE the"people" gave government the limited powers they have in the Constitution.

By that analogy if you gave a stranger permission to use your bathroom and then you went and asked them if you could use your own bathroom????

Tomahawk

imported post

freedom1776 wrote:
sv_libertarian wrote:

I am not judgeing you for asking them but your right to carry a firearm is an "unalienable right" that existed before the Constitution was signed. The Bill of Rights is a limitation on thegovernment so theycan't deny thatunalienable right. Why do you think that you have to ask for permission from ANY law enforcement agency for a unalienable right that existed BEFORE the"people" gave government the limited powers they have in the Constitution.

By that analogy if you gave a stranger permission to use your bathroom and then you went and asked them if you could use your own bathroom????
He's not asking them to grant him a right, he's asking them to acknowledge a right he knows he already has. Take it easy on the new guy, he's on the right track.

DrewGunner

imported post

freedom1776 wrote:
sv_libertarian wrote:

Whoa whoa. I'm with ya on the "your free motherf***er and you ain't gotta ask permission from nobody" but lets wait a little bit to pound that into him. :p

Welcome SV_Lib.

Ok, thats been long enough, go OC and quit bein a pus! ;)

just_a_car

imported post

Welcome SV_Lib, hopefully you'll be able to make it to our lunch this Saturday. Unfortunately, we're still trying to decide the exact location, but I'm pretty certain we're going for Tukwila. ;)

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Thanks for the welcome guys! Nice to find normal, well balanced people :)

I am not asking the local LEO to grant the right to OC, but rather to acknowledge that they will not bother me or others about it.

As far as making any lunch on the weekends, I work :-( I do sales for The Olympian, which is why I do not practice the art of no guns no money very loudly around here, as I cannot piss off the store owners. OTOH, I know of no store that I work in that is gun unfriendly, which is another reason I don't practice it (don't need to)

But as soon as I get a chance, I will be OC'ing as opposed to hiding the stupid thing. I always figured the main reason to carry concealed was to keep from scaring the sheep.

Will advise on replies I get from local LEO. Email to Tumwater bounced back as undeliverable, so will follow up with them when I get the time or my laptop comes back to life, whichever comes first...

Steve

gregma

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
Email to Tumwater bounced back as undeliverable, so will follow up with them when I get the time or my laptop comes back to life, whichever comes first...
You'll probably get it before you get this, but just in case...

Police Chief:
Commander John Stines - mailto:jstines@ci.tumwater.wa.us
Lt. Patti Mize - mailto:pmize@ci.tumwater.wa.us

freedom1776

imported post

Also just my two cents...

When someone OC's and it offends someone else or they disagree with you, you are also excersing the right to freedom of speech. Whyis there freedom of speech? Because we wouldn't need it if everyone agrees with each other. The fact that people disagree all the time is why freedom os speech is so important and by you OC'ing you are "making a bold statement" that may offend someone else.

Comments?