Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: OC First Time in Arlington

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    6

    Post imported post

    All:

    Greetings! I'm New to the forum. Just wanted to tel you that I OC'ed the other day at Metro 29 Diner on Lee Hwy in Arlington.

    I was concealed but Metro serves alcohol, so I had to tuck my shirt in to show I was carrying.

    The manager definitely gave me a look but had somebody seat me at a table near the counter where I asked to be placed.

    It may have been me but there seemed to be more male staff loitering around my general area than other times I have eaten there. One thing was for sure though, my food came out faster than it ever has, probably to get me to eat, pay my bill and go.

    Overall, good experience. The cashier seemed cheery although it was obvious I had my .38 special on my side.

    One question I have for you all about OC'ing in a resturant is:

    If sit down in a booth with your gun side facing the wall are you technically concealing? Or if you place your napkin over your lap are you then concealing?



  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Stafford, VA, , Afghanistan
    Posts
    349

    Post imported post

    No...you are not concealing....there are no special rules when it comes to sitting orstanding....just go about your business, being aware of what is going on around you.:shock:

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    6

    Post imported post

    I was under that impression but I would not want to get into a technicality argument with law enforcement if it came to that.

    I've done my best to read the Virginia code but LE can sometimes make stuff on the fly to make you feel you're not on solid legal ground as you actually are.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Posts
    3,806

    Post imported post

    Dont_Tread_On_Me wrote:
    One thing was for sure though, my food came out faster than it ever has, probably to get me to eat, pay my bill and go.
    Sounds like INCENTIVE to carry, to me....
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Station, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    59

    Post imported post

    Dont_Tread_On_Me wrote:
    All:

    Greetings! I'm New to the forum. Just wanted to tel you that I OC'ed the other day at Metro 29 Diner on Lee Hwy in Arlington.

    I was concealed but Metro serves alcohol, so I had to tuck my shirt in to show I was carrying.

    The manager definitely gave me a look but had somebody seat me at a table near the counter where I asked to be placed.

    It may have been me but there seemed to be more male staff loitering around my general area than other times I have eaten there. One thing was for sure though, my food came out faster than it ever has, probably to get me to eat, pay my bill and go.

    Overall, good experience. The cashier seemed cheery although it was obvious I had my .38 special on my side.

    One question I have for you all about OC'ing in a resturant is:

    If sit down in a booth with your gun side facing the wall are you technically concealing? Or if you place your napkin over your lap are you then concealing?

    I have OC'd at 29 Dinner many many times in the last several years. Never a problem or strange look from any of the staff. My guess is that you are being overly sensitive due to being new at OC ing. That is certainly understandable. You will become more comfortable as you OC more. Good Luck

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    17

    Post imported post

    My guess is that you are being overly sensitive due to being new at OC ing.


    Either that, or the staff thought he was a cop. I get that often, especially as I'm a 41 yr. old white male with a military haircut and usually dressed for the office. While I'd never pretend to be an LEO I certainly won't complain if I get better service because someone on the staff mistook me for a police officer.

  7. #7
    Regular Member Bulldog1967's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Alexandria, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    447

    Post imported post

    Analogman wrote:
    My guess is that you are being overly sensitive due to being new at OC ing.


    Either that, or the staff thought he was a cop. I get that often, especially as I'm a 41 yr. old white male with a military haircut and usually dressed for the office. While I'd never pretend to be an LEO I certainly won't complain if I get better service because someone on the staff mistook me for a police officer.
    Until they spit in your food.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Morgan, Utah, USA
    Posts
    2,580

    Post imported post

    Bulldog1967 wrote:
    Analogman wrote:
    My guess is that you are being overly sensitive due to being new at OC ing.


    Either that, or the staff thought he was a cop. I get that often, especially as I'm a 41 yr. old white male with a military haircut and usually dressed for the office. While I'd never pretend to be an LEO I certainly won't complain if I get better service because someone on the staff mistook me for a police officer.
    Until they spit in your food.
    That's AWESOME.

    ROTFLMAO

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Back on the beach, , USA
    Posts
    285

    Post imported post

    SIGguy229 wrote:
    No...you are not concealing....there are no special rules when it comes to sitting orstanding....just go about your business, being aware of what is going on around you.:shock:
    Well im not so sure about that... Th law states that a weapon is considered concealed if it is hidden from common observation. I wouldnt necissarily consider sitting with your gun to the wall in a diner as being concealed as there is some room to see it, but if your sitting in a car with your gun on your left hand side in a holster then a cop may consider that concealed. Same as putting a napkin over it, if your sitting in a car with your gun in a holster on your right side but your seatbelt is over it, then it may be considered concealed.

  10. #10
    Regular Member zoom6zoom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Dale City, VA, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,694

    Post imported post

    Naw, they're probably just not used to seeing a revolver! (you did say you were carrying a 38...)

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    4 hours south of HankT, ,
    Posts
    5,121

    Post imported post

    Bulldog1967 wrote:
    Analogman wrote:
    My guess is that you are being overly sensitive due to being new at OC ing.


    Either that, or the staff thought he was a cop. I get that often, especially as I'm a 41 yr. old white male with a military haircut and usually dressed for the office. While I'd never pretend to be an LEO I certainly won't complain if I get better service because someone on the staff mistook me for a police officer.
    Until they spit in your food.
    Like in the movie "Casino"? Hilarious.




  12. #12
    Regular Member Bulldog1967's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Alexandria, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    447

    Post imported post

    PackininVB wrote:
    SIGguy229 wrote:
    No...you are not concealing....there are no special rules when it comes to sitting orstanding....just go about your business, being aware of what is going on around you.:shock:
    Well im not so sure about that... Th law states that a weapon is considered concealed if it is hidden from common observation. I wouldnt necissarily consider sitting with your gun to the wall in a diner as being concealed as there is some room to see it, but if your sitting in a car with your gun on your left hand side in a holster then a cop may consider that concealed. Same as putting a napkin over it, if your sitting in a car with your gun in a holster on your right side but your seatbelt is over it, then it may be considered concealed.
    "Common Observation" means you can see it WHEN YOU WOULD NORMALLY BE ABLE TO SEE IT, ie if you got up and walked around. Otherwise you would what, put it up on the table while you are eating? I think not

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Back on the beach, , USA
    Posts
    285

    Post imported post

    Bulldog1967 wrote:
    PackininVB wrote:
    SIGguy229 wrote:
    No...you are not concealing....there are no special rules when it comes to sitting orstanding....just go about your business, being aware of what is going on around you.:shock:
    Well im not so sure about that... Th law states that a weapon is considered concealed if it is hidden from common observation. I wouldnt necissarily consider sitting with your gun to the wall in a diner as being concealed as there is some room to see it, but if your sitting in a car with your gun on your left hand side in a holster then a cop may consider that concealed. Same as putting a napkin over it, if your sitting in a car with your gun in a holster on your right side but your seatbelt is over it, then it may be considered concealed.
    "Common Observation" means you can see it WHEN YOU WOULD NORMALLY BE ABLE TO SEE IT, ie if you got up and walked around. Otherwise you would what, put it up on the table while you are eating? I think not
    Uh no, but maybe sit on the side of the table where you could see the gun. What about when you get in your car and put your seatbelt over it? Any cop will say that that is hidden from "common observation".

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    , , USA
    Posts
    251

    Post imported post

    Tomahawk wrote:
    Bulldog1967 wrote:
    Analogman wrote:
    My guess is that you are being overly sensitive due to being new at OC ing.


    Either that, or the staff thought he was a cop. I get that often, especially as I'm a 41 yr. old white male with a military haircut and usually dressed for the office. While I'd never pretend to be an LEO I certainly won't complain if I get better service because someone on the staff mistook me for a police officer.
    Until they spit in your food.
    Like in the movie "Casino"? Hilarious.


    I was thinking more "Super Troopers". Uh, a cheeseburger.... And it's for a Cop.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Posts
    3,806

    Post imported post

    nickerj1 wrote:
    I was thinking more "Super Troopers".* Uh, a cheeseburger.... And it's for a Cop.
    You weren't the only one.

    Does that look like spit to you?
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •