• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Web Site

gregma

imported post

We have lots of information available to us as OC'ers. I was toying with the idea of putting up a web site. I'm not great on making it pretty, but I have a computer that's already dedicated to a web server running Apache. Also has FTP, and all the trimmings. I host a comics page (yes, I'm addicted to FoxTrot and Dilbert.) Would be a breeze to add another page, even a dedicated domain name.

xpun8

imported post

I'd be game. Are you thinking of reserving a DNS name? I'm sure we could get the dough to pay for that. I'd be willing to help you out if needed. I ain't no webmaster, but I can write code.

Drewesque

imported post

I, too, can write some code. I've been a webmaster before, but that's been a few years back, and java, flash, and whatnot are a little beyond me. What I am good at, though, is proofreading.

I'm probably not all that useful to the project, but I'm more than willing to lend a hand however I can. And I'll certainly try to help get the word out about it.

just_a_car

imported post

I've self-taught HTML to a beginner's level, so I can help a bit there.

Otherwise, I don't mind just updating the list we have going here.

gregma

imported post

Excellent! I have the server, it has Apache, MySQL, PERL, PHP, FTP already installed and working. Have to come up with a domain name. There is PNWOpenCarry, but that's Lonnie's and I haven't heard from him, so do not want to take that from him. Could always do a WCDL and shape it after VCDL.
I'll cover the first years expenses for the domain names, and handle the mx, a and cname entries. Make sure the server is operating, etc.
All that's needed is what domain name(s) we should choose.

xpun8

imported post

G27 wrote:
Washington Civil Defense League... I'm liking the sound of that already. :monkey

Now we sound all.. hardcore? haha.
The only thing with that is it's not OC specific. I'm not sure of gregma's original intent, a WA OC site or a WA RKBA site. I agree, WCDL sounds cool, also sounds like a WA Commercial Driver's License. ;) Ah well.

gregma

imported post

wcdl.com is out. It's "owned" by a parking company and they want almost $5000 for the DNS. wcdl.org and wcdl.net are taken although not being used.

wacdl is taken by the Wisconsin Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers.

just_a_car

imported post

G27 wrote:
Washington Civil Defense League... I'm liking the sound of that already. :monkey

Now we sound all.. hardcore? haha.
Honestly, I'm not too big on making it a league, group, organization, or anything of the sort. Our state constitution, when affirming the RKBA, specifically disallows organizations of an armed militia and "defense league" is really walking a fine line there.

Perhaps something as simple as WALC or WALK, as in WAshingtonians for Legal Carry (or Karry, to make it easier to say properly as an acronym). That acronym even lends itself to great press: "we're just going for a WALK."

just_a_car

imported post

I personally think it should be about all legal carry and the promotion thereof, since CC'ers and OC'ers are pretty much the same ilk. Heck, some OC'ers are forced by circumstance to CC sometimes (see my post about such here).

Many stores that ban weapons don't just ban OC, they want to ban CC too, they just have a hard time enforcing it, due to the fact it's concealed. I think the site should be about promoting legal carry of firearms, whether open or concealed, by law-abiding citizens.

Just my $0.02.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Northwest Citizens Defense League. Again, a lot of effort is coming from Washingtonians, but we can't forget about the Oregonians who also face threats down there too (due to the wording of their CHL laws being possible places of abuse against open carriers).

The PNWOpenCarry list has been quite dormant due to my own inability to keep up with life issues. Approaching having to move for a second time in six months, a job that's working me 50 hours a week. No more graveyard. The list will still exist or would be folded.

If you still need a spokesman, I'll gladly volunteer due to my specialties.

kparker

imported post

Lonnie,

You've got the PNWOpenCarry mailing list going, but there isn't an actual domain name associated with it. Right now that name is available in all the usual top-level domains (.com, .net, .org, .us.)

I'm not sure if such a name really works for what we're talking about here (since the emphasis seems to have morphed into more of a state or regional 2nd Amendment thing rather than just open carry), but in any case it might be a good idea to register those names just to preempt someone else getting them.

My company is a domain registrar, so I can get us wholesale rates, plus I'd be willing to cover one of them myself.