• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Web Site

John Hardin

imported post

kparker wrote:
rkba.wa.us is a good suggestion, but aren't STATE.us domains a bit hard to register?
Dunno, I've never tried as I've never had reason to want a very-state-specific domain name. I don't think there is any policy restricting them to "official" use, and even if there were look how well the use restrictions are being followed in the other top-level domains (apart from .gov and . edu)... .tv is supposed to be sites having something to do with Tuvalu!

Can't hurt to try!

...I am inquiring of the registrar.

Doesn't look too hard, just convoluted.

http://www.nic.us/register/locality.html

John Hardin

imported post

kparker wrote:
rkba.wa.us is a good suggestion, but aren't STATE.us domains a bit hard to register?
Apparently yes. From the registrar:

>> The US Department of Commerce has only allowed us to register
>> fourth level domain names beginning with "borough", "ci." for
>> city, "co." for county, "twp." or "town" for township, or "vil."
>> for village. If you wish to register a new .US Domain Name in the
>> fourth level please re-send your request including the appropriate
>> ci., co. etc.
>
>Sorry I wasn't clear; I was hoping for a third-level (state-level)
>domain.
>
>So in other words, a state-level organization cannot register a
>third-level domain name like (just for argument's sake)
>unitedway.wa.us ?

You are correct. We are not able to process new 3rd level locality domain
names at this time.

If/when the DOC (department of commerce) decides to allow new 3rd level .US
locality domains, the domain example that you have given would not be
acceptable either as it does not represent a locality such as, sterling.va.us
or los-angeles.ca.us.

I cannot say if the DOC will ever allow non-locality based 3rd level .US domain
names.
Sooo...

rkba.us or rkba.org are two good possibilities, but as you open yourself to coordinating nationally with those names you'd probably have to be prepared for delegating state/regional subsites (e.g. you'd maintain wa.rkba.us or nw.rkba.us, somebody else would get delegated DNS for va.rkba.us, etc.) and that may be more than you want to deal with.

pnw-rkba.org?

joeroket

imported post

gregma wrote:
kparker wrote:
My company is a domain registrar, so I can get us wholesale rates, plus I'd be willing to cover one of them myself.
Urgent... Please see my PM.
Gregma when you get ready to do this if you wantme to host itI have a server in Texas at Layered Tech on a 5meg up/down line that I can donate the hosting on.