• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NRA members

JB

imported post

I'm curious how many people here have a current membership with the NRA. A lot of my buddies own guns but to my knowledge none of them are members. Any thoughts?

And who do you guys like for president in '08?

Legba

imported post

I have never been a member of any gun organization, although I do support the state parks system by getting range permits and hunting licenses. I have an FFL as well. I might consider joining the NRA for their insurance package deals, but that's about it. I'm personally down on the right-wing line that most gun groups represent, so I'm just an activist in my own small way.

As for the upcoming elections, I don't consider any candidate of any party worthy to hold office, frankly. That's not the same as indifference - I care a great deal - enough that I don't propose to squander my vote on "lesser evil" as I have done in the past. I may consider boycotting elections altogether until someone who isn't a rank self-aggrandizing ambition-bot runs.

-ljp

dng

State Researcher
imported post

JB wrote:
I'm curious how many people here have a current membership with the NRA. A lot of my buddies own guns but to my knowledge none of them are members. Any thoughts?

Member for 3? years now. Also member of the Buckeye Firearm Association.

For president, I am leaning towards Mike Huckabee. He seems to be the best of the worst.There is still tons of time until the election though. I probably won't really decide for sure until the very end.

I really want John Wayne, or Tommy Franks, or Glenn Beck to be president. I want a normal guy that will tell it like it is and will never speak a bit of this politically correct bullcrap.

http://mikehuckabeepresident2008.blogspot.com/

http://mikehuckabee.com/

I like this!

2nd Amendment Rights
Send to a friend

• The Second Amendment is primarily about tyranny and self-defense, not hunting. The Founding Fathers wanted us to be
    able to defend ourselves from our own government, if need be, and from all threats to our lives and property.
  • Second Amendment rights belong to individuals, not cities or states. I oppose gun control based on geography.
  • I consistently opposed banning assault weapons and opposed the Brady Bill.
  • As Governor, I protected gun manufacturers from frivolous law suits.
  • I was the first Governor in the country to have a concealed handgun license.
No candidate has a stronger, more consistent record on Second Amendment rights than I do. Our Founding Fathers, having endured the tyranny of the British Empire, wanted to guarantee our God-given liberties. They devised our three branches of government and our system of checks and balances. But they were still concerned that the system could fail, and that we might someday face a new tyranny from our own government. They wanted us to be able to defend ourselves, and that's why they gave us the Second Amendment. They knew that a government facing an armed populace was less likely to take away our rights, while a disarmed population wouldn't have much hope. As Ronald Reagan reminded us, "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." Without our Second Amendment rights, all of our other rights aren't inalienable, they're just "on loan" from the government.

Other candidates say gun control doesn't affect hunting. Now I'm a very avid hunter, but the Second Amendment isn't really about hunting. It's about tyranny and self-defense. The Founding Fathers weren't worried about our being able to bag a duck or a deer, they were worried about our keeping our fundamental freedoms.

I once saw a bumper sticker that said, "Criminals prefer unarmed victims." Criminals will always find a way to get guns. By disarming our law-abiding citizens, we take away the strongest deterrent to violent criminals - the uncertainty that they don't know who is helpless and who is armed. Our law enforcement officials can't be everywhere, all the time. Lawfully-armed citizens back them up and prevent robberies, rapes, and the murder of innocents. Right after Katrina, with law enforcement non-existent, many victims were able to protect their lives, their homes, and their precious supplies of food and water only because they were armed.

Other candidates believe gun control should be determined geographically, but Second Amendment rights belong to individuals, not cities or states. Your Second Amendment rights don't change when you change your address.

Other candidates filed frivolous law suits against gun manufacturers. When I was Governor, I protected gun manufacturers from exactly those types of suits. I allowed former law enforcement officials to carry concealed handguns and removed restrictions on concealed handgun permit holders. I was the first Governor in the country to have a concealed handgun license, and of course I'm a lifetime member of the National Rifle Association.

Other candidates have supported banning assault weapons. When the federal ban on assault weapons expired in 2004, I said, "May it rest in peace." It won't be returning in the Huckabee Administration.

Zealously protecting your Second Amendment rights is another way that I will lift all law-abiding Americans up, by consistently championing your right to defend yourself.

hogleg

imported post

I am a member of the NRAas well asother Pro Gun groups to help support gun rights in many different areas and states.

Example Illinois Rifle Association, Buckeye Firearms Assoc, Missouri Sport Shooting assoc...

I consider all these pro gun groups as part of the 2A Military. Each has it purpose and abilities. And yes, just as in the real military they don't always get along. Together though they can be formidable. And no matter what I shoot, there is some part of the 2A Military covering my butt !

1st freedom

imported post

I have often wondered why a gun owner wouldn't join the NRA, while at the same timecomplain about the restrictive gun laws.

The NRA uses the voting power of it's members to influence legislation, roughly about 4 million members. The number of gun owners in the country is about 80 million, can you imagine the restrictions that could be repealed walking into congress with 40 or 50 million voters behind you !!

You will hear people complain about somethings that the NRA does or doesn't do, but like I said, they can only make an effort to INFLUENCE legislation, the NRA can't vote in congress. It would appear that some people think they can, and fail to renew their memberships or never join at allbecause of a bill that passed or failed to pass. this only weakens the influential power that NRA has, kind like the baby and the bath water thing.

Don't complain,,,, HELP out in the fight for your 2nd Amendment rights

I think all gun ownersas well as there family members should be members :lol:

Keepandbear

imported post

hlh wrote:
1st freedom wrote:
I have often wondered why a gun owner wouldn't join the NRA, while at the same timecomplain about the restrictive gun laws.

The NRA uses the voting power of it's members to influance legislation, roughly about 4 million members. The number of gun owners in the country is about 8o million, can you imagine the restrictions that could be repealed walking into congress with 40 or 50 million voters behind you !!

You will hear people complain about somthings that the NRA dose or dosn't do, but like I said, they can only make an effort to INFLUANCE legislation, the NRA can't vote in congress. It would appear that some people think they can, and fail to renew their memberships or never join at allbecause of a bill that passed or failed to pass. this only weakens the influencal power that NRA has, kind like the baby and tha bath water thing.

Don't complain,,,, HELP out in the fight for your 2nd Amendment rights

I think all gun ownersas well as there family members should be members :lol:
+1. I've been a member for 20+ years.
+1. Life member for 10 years!

Thors_Mitersaw

imported post

The NRA is a giant compromise club.

constantly seceding groundto the enemy is no way to win a war. You must take the offensive, you must attack current legislation and NEVER introduce more restriction in any way.

If you want to help the second amendment support the Gun Owners of America (GOA)and the Jews for the Preservation of Firarms Ownership (JPFO). BOTH of whome do not defend it upon some ridiculous sporting pruposes base like the NRA. The JPFO may be even more hardcore about it than the GOA, OPENLY promoting it as a way to oppose government violence in thier pamphlets and handouts and DOCUMENTARIES they create. 'The Gang' is the latest one and its about the ATF.

As far as a presidential candidate... if you are a no compromise sort of person like me with gun rights and constitutional restrictionsthen the only real choice is Ron Paul... on EITHER side of the aisle. His record trumps all others alive today. PERIOD.

Keepandbear

imported post

thorsmitersaw wrote:
The NRA is a giant compromise club.

constantly seceding groundto the enemy is no way to win a war. You must take the offensive, you must attack current legislation and NEVER introduce more restriction in any way.

If you want to help the second amendment support the Gun Owners of America (GOA)and the Jews for the Preservation of Firarms Ownership (JPFO). BOTH of whome do not defend it upon some ridiculous sporting pruposes base like the NRA. The JPFO may be even more hardcore about it than the GOA, OPENLY promoting it as a way to oppose government violence in thier pamphlets and handouts and DOCUMENTARIES they create. 'The Gang' is the latest one and its about the ATF.

As far as a presidential candidate... if you are a no compromise sort of person like me with gun rights and constitutional restrictionsthen the only real choice is Ron Paul... on EITHER side of the aisle. His record trumps all others alive today. PERIOD.
Please list the legislative achievements of either of those groups(GOA and JPFO). Show me three articles in which someone gave credit to the GOA for passing a bill or getting a candidate elected.

GOA lives by bashing the NRA and thats it.

bobernet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

NRA life member. Soon to be GOA life member.

Ron Paul

P.S. I agree that GOA is a "better" organization from a principled perspective, but the NRA carries considerable clout. When congress critters are deciding what position to take on an issue, "what does the NRA say?" is a real question many of them ask.

For that reason, I feel it's important to support the NRA, even if they're not perfect. As a political influence today, they're the strongest we've got. My hope is that the growth of GOA membership will send a message to those of the NRA leadership who have been too quick to compromise in the past.

1st freedom

imported post

I would have to agree with keepandbear on this one,

the only aggression i see from the GOA is against the NRA, I don't recall seeing major legislation being pushed by them.

If you have cut someone down to make your self look good, I really don't thinkhave a whole hell of a lot to offer

hogleg

imported post

AsI said, it is a Second AmmendmentMilitary.

You have your Air Wing, Artillary, Infantry,Navy etc. They don't all do the same thing and usually will beat the crap out of each other when not in a fight. But when it comes time to kick butt, they will be there togehter. Can you only support the artillary part of the Military ? I think not.

I wonder how many folkscrabbin about the NRA working with x politician to ensure gun owners don't get screwed have ever themselves done anything at all for gun owners in general. Buying a gun or Ammo does not help anyone in the big picture.

It is not the NRA's job toput up asolopolitical standfor lazy gun owners. But they make the effort bacause very few others are.

Instead of crabbing at the NRA, crab at your electedreps who don't want you to have semi auto.Send emails and piles of letters.Make the phone calls and find an antigun protest and startyour own progun protest.

Be a part of many pro gun associations. Just because you live in a state that is progun does not mean the grabbers will stay out once they are finished with the others.

Keepandbear

imported post

hogleg wrote:

You have your Air Wing, Artillary, Infantry,Navy etc. They don't all do the same thing and usually will beat the crap out of each other when not in a fight. But when it comes time to kick butt, they will be there togehter. Can you only support the artillary part of the Military ? I think not.

I wonder how many folkscrabbin about the NRA working with x politician to ensure gun owners don't get screwed have ever themselves done anything at all for gun owners in general. Buying a gun or Ammo does not help anyone in the big picture.

It is not the NRA's job toput up asolopolitical standfor lazy gun owners. But they make the effort bacause very few others are.

Instead of crabbing at the NRA, crab at your electedreps who don't want you to have semi auto.Send emails and piles of letters.Make the phone calls and find an antigun protest and startyour own progun protest.

Be a part of many pro gun associations. Just because you live in a state that is progun does not mean the grabbers will stay out once they are finished with the others.
Well put!

Thors_Mitersaw

imported post

hogleg wrote:

I can go with that. I may not like the NRA, and I think they go about it ALL wrong and ignore the fact that the 2nd is about kickin the states ass if it comes to it...It is quite telling that many refer to the NRA as gun rights lite

But any and all means to an end are welcome. HOPEFULLY the VCDL and GOA and JPFO will become so prominant as to influence the NRA or pressure them to become much more principled then they are now...

Legba

imported post

Sorry, but I can't hold back any more. What is this delusional belief that armed citizens, absent command, control, and communications can hope to stand up (with desirable results) against an organized fighting force, like the US military? If the government becomes tyrranical, then you and I will alike be up against the wall, unless there is a mass-mutiny in the military to back us up.

Whatever your interpretation of the 2nd amendment, a houswife with a handgun does not "a well-regulated militia" make. The founding fathers may have meant for us to be armed to secure our liberty from internal and/or external tyrrany, but the Man has the Bomb now, and you and I do not. Game, set, match. You will go the way of the Polish Cavalry if you seriously undertake an armed insurrection, justified or otherwise.

-ljp

tarzan1888

imported post

JB wrote:

Long time member.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

The main issues that I frequently have with the NRA are (1) compromise their stance on firearms, and (2) They seem to be geared towards hunters. They do have sections of their magazines that discuss self defense, but it seems almost as if it is an afterthought.

That being said, however, they do carry a large "political stick" and at least they stand up to defend gun rights. I plan on remaining a member. We need every bit of support for guns that we can get, whether I like everything they do, or not.

hogleg

imported post

So true......Currently they are the only big gun with thier foot in the door. And that is a big heavydamn door and if it closes we are all in trouble. Does little to have the little guy behind yelling at em for not wearing his spurs!

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Legba wrote:
Sorry, but I can't hold back any more. What is this delusional belief that armed citizens, absent command, control, and communications can hope to stand up (with desirable results) against an organized fighting force, like the US military? If the government becomes tyrranical, then you and I will alike be up against the wall, unless there is a mass-mutiny in the military to back us up.

Whatever your interpretation of the 2nd amendment, a houswife with a handgun does not "a well-regulated militia" make. The founding fathers may have meant for us to be armed to secure our liberty from internal and/or external tyrrany, but the Man has the Bomb now, and you and I do not. Game, set, match. You will go the way of the Polish Cavalry if you seriously undertake an armed insurrection, justified or otherwise.

-ljp

+1,000,000,000,000,000

The founding fathers would have expected a tank in every town, fighter jets at every city, and a town arsenal well stocked with guns and ammo (CONTROLLED BY THE TOWN/LOCAL PEOPLE; NOT THE FEDS)to be able to arm citizens who were already trained to fight.

Cue-Ball

imported post

I'm an NRA member and, in fact, just renewed for another two years. I don't think the NRA is perfect, but I think they're the largest group, with the most power, who have the best chance of upholding my second amendment rights.

I support Ron Paul for the presidency in '08 and am doing everything I can to get him elected. None of the other candidates even come close to his pro-2A record, and if any of the Democrats or Giuliani get in the White House, you can start planning for the next "assault weapons ban".

As far as citizens standing up to the military...the Iraqi "insurgents" seem to be doing alright. With the right person in the White House, I think a lot of the current, useless laws could be repealed, making militia much stronger. A very pro-gun president could help take some of the stigma away from guns, and maybe get people to return to their roots - arming and taking care of themselves, rather than relying on the government to do it for them. Not to mention that putting our military back into a defensive mode would hopefully make our troops a lot less likely to knock down the doors of our own citizens.