• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fairfax?

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

So, I've seen you guys mention Fairfax a few times, but I really haven't heard any stories (maybe I haven't look well enough) about OC in Fairfax County.

Is that because it's a non-issue, or because nobody here does it?

LEO 229

imported post

marshaul wrote:
So, I've seen you guys mention Fairfax a few times, but I really haven't heard any stories (maybe I haven't look well enough) about OC in Fairfax County.

Is that because it's a non-issue, or because nobody here does it?
Fairfax cops know about OC so it is not a problem.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Fairfax County is perhaps the most OC'd county in the country.

Most aren't reporting. I OC pretty much daily, reporting only the new-for-me restaurants, and the fun encounters. I imagine if even half of the OC was reported, it would make a long list of places.

You'll see a fair amount reported in the restaurant carry thread.

Fairfax County is pretty tame for OC. The police are well informed.Although this doesn't mean you won't meet one who wants to give you a hard time, so you wouldn't let your guard down if a police officer approaches.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Any places to avoid? Right now I want to go buy a couple of CDs, should I bother with worstbuy or should I go to walmart instead?

SicSemperTyrannis

imported post

My impression is that Fairfax is about as good as it gets for open carry in Virginia (although many other areas are fine, too). Although Fairfax is probably the least "southern" part of Virginia, the police force has beencontinuously impressive in its knowledge of Virginia gun laws (open carry in particular) and in its responsiveness to citizen concerns in the past.

On another note, I participated in a "mock robbery" very recently.Two Hanover sherriffs deputies (and several teenage boys in an explorer program affiliated with the department) participated along with about 30 employees. It was interesting (although nothing new) and the officer was a great guy. He did say that if you notice a concealed weapon on an individual it isone of thesigns you were about to be robbed. He mentioned that sometimes when people conceal on their waist you can see the printing of the gun; or a jacket or outer shirtshifts in such a waythat you can see part of a concealed gun. Makes you wonder what he'd say about an open carrier! He also said that most (he was careful to say "but not all") officers will have their badge next to their gun so if you see that when a shirt moves you know it is an officer. It is not that I disagree that the inadvertent sight of a concealed gun is worth taking note of, I just wish he would have briefly noted that since over 135,000 Virginians have a CHP and it isn't illegal (or against our policy) to openly or concealed carry in any ofour branches in the state, you are actually far more likely to encounter a loyal customer carrying than a robber. I've seen a couple open carriers in my branch and at one other branch once. Still, an interesting experience complete with a re-enactment of a take-over robbery with revolvers, semi-automatics, fake but realistic sounding gunsbeing fired, etc.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

SicSemperTyrannis wrote:
SNIP...that since over 135,000 Virginians have a CHP...

Yep. And lets also add the CCW permits from all the states with which Virginia has reciprocity.

I'll go off on a tangent for just a moment. (I won't be coming back so you'll have to memorize the valuable contribution just above :).)

Case law on detentions repeatedly refers to "circumstances."

Unless I miss my guess, that means that police need to be considering the 135K VA CHPs and all the reciprocity CCW's before "suspecting" aCC'er is maybe a bad guy, detaining him to check hisCHP,running hisserial number, checking hisIDfor warrants, etc. There is an awful lot of CCW's out there. It is a circumstance.

SicSemperTyrannis

imported post

I just took a look at the Census bureau web-site. Virginia's 2000 population was 7.08 million and the estimated population in 2005 was 7.324 million. Only 5.234 million were estimated to be over 21 in 2005 and thus eligible for a CHP. I don't know how many CHP's have been issued in Virginia, but using the commonly cited 135,000 figure, that means about 1 out of every 38 Virginians over 21 has a CHP. I assume the number of over 21 year old males with a CHP is considerably higher than 1 out of 38 and the number of females lower.

I wonder if police officers ever get told this. I would think it is relevant information to know.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

SicSemperTyrannis wrote:SNIP I don't know how many CHP's have been issued in Virginia, but using the commonly cited 135,000 figure...

The figure is a "rounded" version of the actual figure reported by the Virginia State Police. If I recall, this was early this year or late last year.

Also amazing was the number ofCHP applicationsin Fairfax County last year. When I applied for mine late last year, theyhad an average of 105 applications per month, or 1260 per year. The woman who first receives the application from the front countertold mevery few were denied (I guess the crooks are smart enough not to apply). So, I'mthinking Fairfax County had well over 1200 new CHPs last year.

I wonder what the trend is this year.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Maybe we should suggest that anyone thinking of applying for a CCW wait until August 28th and "do it for Reverend Jackson":cool:

bohdi

imported post

Marshaul - I do most of my reporting on Fairfax in the Chantilly/Centreville thread I started to report my experiences there. Most of it is nothing at all, but these are areas close to my house. Been to Walmart at Fair Lakes no issues - and that place is always packed. Hit Costco off 28 and 50, no issues. Even went to my Dr.'s office open carrying, no issues.

So I'd have to agree, unless you visit Burke Lake Park - Update from BobCav coming on a response he got recently - it's been easy going.

nickerj1

imported post

marshaul wrote:
Any places to avoid? Right now I want to go buy a couple of CDs, should I bother with worstbuy or should I go to walmart instead?

I do anywhere from Alexandria to Arlington to Vienna to the city of Fairfax daily.

I've done best buy on multiple occasions and walmart on multiple occasions (fair lakes and burke, mainly). Never had anyone talk to me about it.

I've had many many times where fairfax PD has seen me OC'ing and never even stopped to say Hi to me. Thanks to LEO 229, they all seemed pretty informed.

Speaking of which, who is the Blond Fairfax PD officer that drives an unmarked black Dodge charger? I need to ask her out on a date.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Well, I went to bestbuy (fairlakes), costco (28 and 50), and the thai restaurant sakoontra (across the street from costco).

Not a word from anyone. To be honest I wasn't even nervous, though this was my first experience OCing in public outside of the range.

LEO 229

imported post

marshaul wrote:
Well, I went to bestbuy (fairlakes), costco (28 and 50), and the thai restaurant sakoontra (across the street from costco).

Not a word from anyone. To be honest I wasn't even nervous, though this was my first experience OCing in public outside of the range.

Try the Thai Palace in Chantilly.... Lee Rd and Rt 50. Near Costco.

Good food there.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Wooley wrote:
How was the Thai place? Most of them I go to have meals to small to be filling for me.

Anyone want to meet me at Red Panda on Sat?

I think Sakoontra is pretty good, I will say that with an appetizer, my curry and rice did fill me up nicely with a little to spare. I don't consider myself someone who eats small portions...