• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Will i need two holsters?

Tidewater

imported post

Am I gonna need two holsters? Im a fan of the inside the waistband holsters, but here in SC...the heat index was 120 the other day. I like the accessability of the hip holsters but how to conceal in the middle of summer? I have a Springfield XD so its not the smallest thing to conceal.

Drewesque

imported post

[align=left]It's very difficult to find a single holster to fit all of your needs. I have three for my XD, two for both my XD and my Steyr, and need to get at least one more for my Steyr to fit all my needs.

You could, though, wear a light shirt that is a bit too big if you'd like to cover a hip holster. It's not ideal, but it's something. I would recommend at least one IWB and at least one hip holster, so that you can use the IWB for concealment and the hip holster for OC. But that may not be the best option for you.

You can also get one of those ambidextrous IWB holsters--the clip will allow them to be worn outside the waist band, too. Not ideal, but something.
[/align]

tarzan1888

imported post

Tidewater wrote:
Am I gonna need two holsters? Im a fan of the inside the waistband holsters, but here in SC...the heat index was 120 the other day. I like the accessability of the hip holsters but how to conceal in the middle of summer? I have a Springfield XD so its not the smallest thing to conceal.

I have a holster or carry method for about every situation I can imagine. I have lost count of how many holsters I have.

Generally I have about 3 or 4 per gun, that I use and some more that I don't use.

Please don't tell my wife. :what:

Drewesque

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
Check out the G-code kydex holster it offers different carry options.
You can just buy the standard holster then upgrade with options that offer a paddle, different cants, IWB and a thigh rig

http://www.gunnersalley.com/product/GCODEBELT

hope this helps

Those sorts of holsters are nice, but I always find that I only use one option on each. A holster designed specifically for whatever use you're looking for does a bit better than one designed to do and be everything. The adaptability is nice, except that it always seems to feel best in one particular role, and not necessarily the one you bought it for.

That said, I haven't tried that particular universal holster. One thing that looks kind of nice is the mid/low adapter. Unfortunately, I can't tell whether it will drop it to the level I would like. It looks like it rides too high to begin with for that adapter to do what I would want. Of course, I've been thinking of building my own Serpa attachment to have a lower-riding holster, so I don't think it'd be worth it for meto drop 50 bucks on this one.

If anybody has the G-code and the mid/low adapter, where does it make the gun ride?

Eeyore

imported post

I started out with a cheapie ambidextrous nylon holster with the metal clip. It works OK as an IWB, but with only that one clip it's really not stable enough for OC. No retention, either. (Passport makes a relatively cheap nylon ambi with a thumb break.) Until I got my new one, I had to wear hawaiian shirts or keep my T-shirt untucked to conceal in warm wx. Now I can tuck the T-shirt in, blouse it a little, and I'm good to go.

The XD is popular enough to have lots of holster choices. My personal preference is for a canted, tuckable IWB, which I wear at the 4 o'clock position. If you're interested in one like that, look at Tucker, Comp-Tac (Minotaur or C-TAC), and Crossbreed. They're all adjustable for cant andheight. All but the C-TAC has a leather backing to keep the gun from contacting skin.

Good luck.

Legba

imported post

I still use my cheapie Uncle Mike's nylon OWB holster fully 99% of the time. I have shoulder and thigh/tactical rigs that I almost never wear any more.

-ljp