• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

smallest defensive handgun?

xmirage2kx

imported post

I am Looking for the smallest defensive handgun I can find. 3"x4" is about as small as I can find comming in a .38, 3"x5" in .45(both derringer) anyone know of any smaller Make/Model?

freedom1776

imported post

rev_main.jpg

gal_3.jpg

http://www.swissminigun.com/home.html

Sitrep

imported post

$5,100 seems a bit pricey to me. (assuming my conversion is correct)

I wonder what kind of damage a .09 caliber round would do. I'm guessing it would barely break the skin at close range. Can I officaly say that my T-shirt is bulletproof then?

xmirage2kx

imported post

LM4 Simmerling or the WSP 45 acp and the stinger pen pistol are the smallest I can find, but they are all pretty rare.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Smallest is not necessarily bestest.

Compromises are generally in order.

Consider: Caliber effective for defensive purposes
Number of rounds without reload - good defensive tactic
Size reduction = weight reduction = more felt recoil

I could go on and on but my point is (unless you simply want to say that you are carrying the smallest defensive pistol) you might want to carry the most effective defensive pistol that fits your circumstances.

Yata hey

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

I would say that the .38 is a quality defensive round, however once you get into .25 and .32, the latter may be acceptable for very specific situations, however the .25 is probably not an acceptable choice by most....

However I am a proponent of shoot what you shoot best, and can handle, if that is a .22, fine, if it is a .500, fine.

hogleg

imported post

I guess it all depends on what kind of defense you are talking about. A 2 shot 38 would be better than nothing........

I was looking over those Derringers the other day. Nice looking little guns. 2 rounds, justin case you missed. Wondered about the safety factors on those. Exposed trigger and all. Wonder if they have a hammer block of some kind. I would get one just because they are cool and would fit in my vest pocket. I guess the only defense would be if my poker game turned into a cheat fest and I had to cap somebody in the knee with it. :dude:

As far as small functional guns I like the PPKs and the Bersas as well as the Sig 232. the later 2makes put out9mm variantsI believe. I like small but I also like to feel like I have a GUN! not a toy.

tapper95

imported post

For my own personal carry, I could not see myself carrying anything smaller than 9mm or .38 special... and that would be far from my first choice... I'm worried enough about hitting and hitting with stopping power without worrying about a round that might do nothing more than piss off an incoming assailant...

There are good quality pocket holsters for snubbie .38's and compact 9 mm like Kahrs and Glocks...

Instead of worrying about the smallest gun, you may want to realistically reevaluate your wardrobe if you are going for good concealement... wearing a pair of slightly oversized shorts, a loose fitting, dark colored shirt, a quality gun belt, and a cheap bagmaster IWBholster can make my full size Smith & Wesson Sigma 40 disappear in the middle of the summer...

Particle

imported post

What are your takes on the Five-seveN using the 5.7x28mm cartridge for defense purposes? It's been argued both ways before, but I'd like to get your opinions.

Legba

imported post

The FN 5.7 sounds about like a glorified .22 magnum to me, and at a considerably higher price. I do like FN stuff generally, but this thing is too novel to be affordable. I guess the answer to that is for more people to buy and use the things, but I'm not looking to expand my ammo requirements at this point. I have heard favorable reviews from the few users I've talked to, though, so...

-ljp

sedjester

imported post

I owned and a .357 derringer a few years back. That thing kicked like a mule on steroids. Couldn't shoot very many rounds through it without causing me grief. I think a .38 derringer could work fairly well.

Basic Guy

imported post

I have had an ADC derringer in 45ACP for a number of years.

Up side : smallest package for a big bore. Well made compared to a number of other pocket pistols of smaller caliber. It has a spring loaded cross bar which blocks the hammer and will not release until you start to cock the hammer. So the exposed trigger is not an issue.

Down side : Heavy hammer. Accuracy is minimal. Heavy recoil – shooting more than two rounds gives me a small pain in my hand/wrist bones that lasts a couple days.

I decided a long time ago that if I did have to use it I wouldn’t pull the trigger until almost contact range.

I like it because, well, if I have to be limited to two rounds I want them to be enough for the job. It is small enough that I can palm it between car and door if I am in a place I don’t know well and the lighting isn’t so good. If somebody pops out from behind a bush/parked car I’d rather have that in my hand than a 1911 somewhere I have to draw from. The two shots from the ADC should give me time to act and transition to my carry piece.

leprechaun117

imported post

Particle wrote:
What are your takes on the Five-seveN using the 5.7x28mm cartridge for defense purposes? It's been argued both ways before, but I'd like to get your opinions.
Ijust picked one up at the harrisonburg gun show :) Ammo is kinda expensive... $100 for 250 rounds... but its fun as all hell to shoot. Louder than most anything I've ever come across. The loaded mag weighs about as much as the rest of the gun on its own... for the size it's incredibly light.