• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Car Carry Question

Agent6-3/8

imported post

I spend a good amount oftime just south of the WV-PA border. 3 or 4 times a year, I find myself crossing through PA, usually on I-79 and I-70 on my way to Wheeling, WV. So, my question is, what are the legal way for me (without a PA CCW) to carry while in my car? I read somewhere that CCW was ok in my car, as long as I didn't stop and get out. I've heard it called a "Passing Through" law.I assume that OC is ok in a car and in most places other then Phili in PA.

Thanks!

imperialism2024

imported post

The "passing through" notion is iffy, IIRC, as I don't believe PA is peaceable journey friendly. But, you're good with OCing if you have a CCW permit from any of the other states in the union, whether it's a resident or non-resident permit.

sccrref

imported post

The following was downloaded from Packing.org before their site went down. You may want to double check to make sure no changes have been made. Some of this is redundant but I would rather give you to much than not enough.

Title 18 § 6106. Firearms not to be carried without a license.

(a) Offense defined.--Any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.
(b) Exceptions.--The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to: 11. Any person while carrying a firearm in any vehicle, which person possesses a valid and lawfully issued license for that firearm which has been issued under the laws of the United States or any other state.

(b) Exceptions.--The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to:

1. Constables, sheriffs, prison or jail wardens, or their deputies, policemen of this Commonwealth or its political subdivisions, or other law-enforcement officers.

2. Members of the army, navy or marine corps of the United States or of the National Guard or organized reserves when on duty.

3. The regularly enrolled members of any organization duly organized to purchase or receive such weapons from the United States or from this Commonwealth.

4. Any persons engaged in target shooting with rifle, pistol, or revolver, if such persons are at or are going to or from their places of assembly or target practice and if, while going to or from their places of assembly or target practice, the cartridges or shells are carried in a separate container and the rifle, pistol or revolver is unloaded.

5. Officers or employees of the United States duly authorized to carry a concealed firearm.

6. Agents, messengers and other employees of common carriers, banks, or business firms, whose duties require them to protect moneys, valuables and other property in the discharge of such duties.

7. Any person engaged in the business of manufacturing, repairing, or dealing in firearms, or the agent or representative of any such person, having in his possession, using or carrying a firearm in the usual or ordinary course of such business.

8. Any person while carrying a firearm unloaded and in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his home or place of business, or to a place of repair or back to his home or place of business, or in moving from one place of abode or business to another or from his home to a vacation or recreational home or dwelling or back, or to recover stolen property under section 6111.1(b)(4) (relating to Pennsylvania State Police) or to a location to which the person has been directed to surrender firearms under 23 Pa.C.S. § 6108 (relating to relief) or back upon return of the surrendered firearm.

9. Persons licensed to hunt, take fur bearers or fish in this Commonwealth, if such persons are actually hunting, taking fur bearers or fishing or are going to the places where they desire to hunt, take fur bearers or fish or returning from such places.

10. Persons training dogs, if such persons are actually training dogs during the regular training season.

11. Any person while carrying a firearm in any vehicle, which person possesses a valid and lawfully issued license for that firearm which has been issued under the laws of the United States or any other state.

Federal Law on the Transportation of Firearms. Title 18 U.S.C. Section 926A

Must inform Law Enforcement when Carrying

Date updated: Jul 28, 2005 @ 11:53 pm

NO

Carrying without a Permit/License

Date updated: Aug 23, 2005 @ 9:07 pm

Title 18 § 6106. Firearms not to be carried without a license.

(a) Offense defined.--Any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.

Peaceable journey law summary

Date updated: Aug 23, 2005 @ 9:07 pm

18 § 6106. Firearms not to be carried without a license.

(b) Exceptions.--The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to:
11. Any person while carrying a firearm in any vehicle, which person possesses a valid and lawfully issued license for that firearm which has been issued under the laws of the United States or any other state.

Pennsylvania Body armor laws can be found in Title 18 § 907.

Agent6-3/8

imported post

Thanks guys. The law seems a bit confusing to me...But since I have a WV CHL, I'll just stick to OC when in PA.

I probably should get a nonresident permit at some point.

Steve in PA

imported post

As long as you stay in your vehicle, you are fine with an out of state CCW.

I wish people would quit posting info they don't know.

PA most certainly does have a "peaceable journey" law as referenced in 6101 (b)(11).

This law is good even in Philly.

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

Aslong as you have a concealed carry license from any state, you can carry a loaded handgun in your car. Carrying it outside of the car concealed, however, requires you have a concealed carry license from a state with which Pennsylvania has a recognition or reciprocity agreement. Open carry requires no license.

§ 6106. Firearms not to be carried without a license.
(a) Offense defined.--
(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), any person who
carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a
firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place
of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and
lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony
of the third degree.
(2) A person who is otherwise eligible to possess a
valid license under this chapter but carries a firearm in any
vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or
about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place
of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license and
has not committed any other criminal violation commits a
misdemeanor of the first degree.
(b) Exceptions.--The provisions of subsection (a) shall not
apply to:
(11) Any person while carrying a firearm in any vehicle,
which person possesses a valid and lawfully issued license
for that firearm which has been issued under the laws of the
United States or any other state.

imperialism2024

imported post

Steve in PA wrote:
As long as you stay in your vehicle, you are fine with an out of state CCW.

I wish people would quit posting info they don't know.

PA most certainly does have a "peaceable journey" law as referenced in 6101 (b)(11).

This law is good even in Philly.
I'm assuming that was directed toward me. I guess I may have been mistaken in my definition of "peaceable journey", though I'm fairly certain that before packing.org shut down, PA was listed as not entirely allowing peaceable journey.

Also, when I made my post, the original poster did not indicate that he had a WV LTCF, which could have been a possibility as a license is not necessary to OC in WV... in that case, carry while "passing through" would not have been legal. Better safe than sorry, no?

Steve in PA

imported post

Packing.org had info that was notoriously out of date, however the section that I posted has been around for a while.

I don't know where anyone got the idea that PA did not have a peaceable journey law.

The OP also stated "I read somewhere that CCW was ok in my car, as long as I didn't stop and get out. I've heard it called a "Passing Through" law.........

Sounds like he has a CCW to me.