Thread: The Congress has forgotten

Post imported post

The Patriot Post
    Founders' Quote Daily

"The whole of that Bill [of Rights] is a declaration of the
    right of the people at large or considered as individuals...[I]t
    establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and
    which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of."

-- Albert Gallatin (letter to Alexander Addison, 7 October 1789)

Reference: That Every Man Be Armed: The Evolution
    of a Constitutional Right, Halbrook; original MS. in
    N.Y. Hist. Soc.-A.G. Papers, 2

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

The Congress started forgetting the day after ratification, whenthe squabbling, jockeying for power and influence, etc. started.

Certain people in Congress have always been willing to push for as much as they could get away with; and some of these people have been very shrewd at estimating how much they could get away with.

The very existence of the Bill of Rights is the biggest sign that gov't WILL try to take more power and infringe rights. If gov't was knownto be safe, there would be no reason for a Bill of Rights.

I'm convinced it has been and will continue to be an on-going fight to beat the Congress back within its constitutional boundaries.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:
    The Congress started forgetting the day after ratification, whenthe squabbling, jockeying for power and influence, etc. started.

Certain people in Congress have always been willing to push for as much as they could get away with; and some of these people have been very shrewd at estimating how much they could get away with.

The very existence of the Bill of Rights is the biggest sign that gov't WILL try to take more power and infringe rights. If gov't was knownto be safe, there would be no reason for a Bill of Rights.

I'm convinced it has been and will continue to be an on-going fight to beat the Congress back within its constitutional boundaries.
    Point well taken!

Post imported post

Kelly, please name one great society that did not implode under the weight of its greed and lust for power. Unfortunately change is inevitable, and it starts by the citizens realizing that the ruling minority have forgotten them. I am ready.

Post imported post

Carthage - they collapsed under the weight of Rome's greed and lust for power (not their own).

-ljp

Post imported post

.40 Cal wrote:
    Kelly, please name one great society that did not implode under the weight of its greed and lust for power. Unfortunately change is inevitable, and it starts by the citizens realizing that the ruling minority have forgotten them. I am ready.
    To the best of my knowledge Switzerland has not but I don't know for sure just trying to rely on my memory and that is faulty.

Post imported post

What are you saying about Switzerland? The only European nation never invaded... The only European nation that has military aged men keep a selectable fire semi/full auto rifle in their home as part of their militia obligation? One of the lowest murder rates in the world?

"The hills are alive, with the sound of freedom..."

Post imported post

I think Kelly's point is that the Swiss, to their credit,may have found a way to balance freedom with government.