Thread: auto 1911?

Post imported post

i was looking at my 1911 the other day, trying to smooth it out a little more, and i had a thought. if the disconnecter was filed down, wouldn't that make the pistol an automatic? i slid the slide off the frame and you can hold the trigger and pull the hammer back, and drop it, and repeat. and then when you let go of the trigger the hammer will lock back again. i knkow its illegal and i dont want to abuse my pistol like that, but is it possible or will it destroy the weapon to quickly to be any fun?

Post imported post

maybe

Post imported post

wet_willy wrote:
    i was looking at my 1911 the other day, trying to smooth it out a little more, and i had a thought. if the disconnecter was filed down, wouldn't that make the pistol an automatic? i slid the slide off the frame and you can hold the trigger and pull the hammer back, and drop it, and repeat. and then when you let go of the trigger the hammer will lock back again. i knkow its illegal and i dont want to abuse my pistol like that, but is it possible or will it destroy the weapon to quickly to be any fun?
    Just.. No. Even if it was possible, if you get caught its a felony.

Post imported post

Make sure you don't use an unregistered NFA string....:?

Post imported post

not saying i want to do it, just wondering if its possible.

Post imported post

1911's converted to machine pistols were a favorite weapon of Baby Face (George) Nelson. It ain't worth it. It will get you an extended stay at the Graybar Hotel.

Post imported post

so it can work. that must be what they sell those 25 round magazines for at the gun show....

Post imported post

There are also select-fire 1911s. If I weren't on a crappy internet connection right now, I'd try to find you a video on youtube. A select-fire 1911 and one of those 40-round drum mags would make for a bit of fun times at the range (and by range, I mean place outdoors that you can shoot, since most ranges would frown upon an automatic 1911).

Post imported post

wet_willy wrote:
    I wouldn't touch this topic with the proverbial 10 ft pole. Something to do with conspiracy to commit a felony.

If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

rent full auto.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

State Researcher

Post imported post

I don't blame you for asking, and this is no where NEAR conspiring to commit a felony. You're curious about how the weapon works, and instead of just trying it on your own, you're asking advice from other knowledgeable people. I don't blame you.

With that being said, I have NO CLUE if that would work or not. Here's a question on that topic, though. Lets say you can legally own a full-auto weapon (either with a class III license or, like Agent19 pointed out, you live in nevada), and you happen to own a fully automatic pistol. Can this be carried like any other pistol? A full-auto .45 would be one hell of a defensive weapon

(forgive me if the answer to this question is common knowledge, but I'm curious and don't know lol.)

Post imported post

They already have one.

Its called a "Thompson"

Post imported post

i have never looked inside of a thompson, i would love to get one though.

Post imported post

wet_willy :?

~Alan Korwin