• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

auto 1911?

wet_willy

imported post

i was looking at my 1911 the other day, trying to smooth it out a little more, and i had a thought. if the disconnecter was filed down, wouldn't that make the pistol an automatic? i slid the slide off the frame and you can hold the trigger and pull the hammer back, and drop it, and repeat. and then when you let go of the trigger the hammer will lock back again. i knkow its illegal and i dont want to abuse my pistol like that, but is it possible or will it destroy the weapon to quickly to be any fun?

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

wet_willy wrote:
i was looking at my 1911 the other day, trying to smooth it out a little more, and i had a thought. if the disconnecter was filed down, wouldn't that make the pistol an automatic? i slid the slide off the frame and you can hold the trigger and pull the hammer back, and drop it, and repeat. and then when you let go of the trigger the hammer will lock back again. i knkow its illegal and i dont want to abuse my pistol like that, but is it possible or will it destroy the weapon to quickly to be any fun?

Just.. No. Even if it was possible, if you get caught its a felony.

glocknroll

imported post

1911's converted to machine pistols were a favorite weapon of Baby Face (George) Nelson. It ain't worth it. It will get you an extended stay at the Graybar Hotel.

Drewesque

imported post

There are also select-fire 1911s. If I weren't on a crappy internet connection right now, I'd try to find you a video on youtube. A select-fire 1911 and one of those 40-round drum mags would make for a bit of fun times at the range (and by range, I mean place outdoors that you can shoot, since most ranges would frown upon an automatic 1911).

Fisherman48768

imported post

wet_willy wrote:
I wouldn't touch this topic with the proverbial 10 ft pole. Something to do with conspiracy to commit a felony.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

I don't blame you for asking, and this is no where NEAR conspiring to commit a felony. You're curious about how the weapon works, and instead of just trying it on your own, you're asking advice from other knowledgeable people. I don't blame you.

With that being said, I have NO CLUE if that would work or not. Here's a question on that topic, though. Lets say you can legally own a full-auto weapon (either with a class III license or, like Agent19 pointed out, you live in nevada), and you happen to own a fully automatic pistol. Can this be carried like any other pistol? A full-auto .45 would be one hell of a defensive weapon :)

(forgive me if the answer to this question is common knowledge, but I'm curious and don't know lol.)

tarzan1888

imported post

They already have one.

Its called a "Thompson"
roflmao1.gif