• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

unofficial poll

Legba

imported post

Here's a basic question: should I bother to get a concealed carry permit at all? I've never had one, and I OC exclusively because of it, but winter will be along soon enough, and I'm tired of having to pack/unpack my gun every time I get in and out of my car. I don't need one, strictly, so there's no real urgency about it either way. Still, it might be nice for the reciprocity and to have some kind of recent documented formal instruction etc. I may get one for myself for Christmas, say. Opinions?

-ljp

bohdi

imported post

Driving, prefer not to have to worry about LEO's not seeing it on my hip - their blind side. I don't want to take it off everytime I drive

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I've thought about this also, since I want to leave the PRFL. Sholuld I pay the Protection Money so that I can hide my privelige, but have it in more places? Or stick to the hardline and just never ever go anywhere other than a Yellow State again in my entire life....

I haven't been able to make up my mind either. Do I give in to the Tyranny so to give myself more options at the sacrifice of something I shouldn't have to sacrifice.... Or accept the limits of doing what is right....

Legba

imported post

Yeah, the whole permit business is reminiscent of grade-school permission slips from parents. I'm too old to take this stuff seriously in a sense, but I know that The Man does, and He can make things unecessarily difficult. I'm still undecided - will mull it over a bit yet.

-ljp

JB

imported post

I would reccomend getting the permit if they don't make you jump through too many hoops. Less hassle worrying about it being visible. How many people here have a concealed carry permit?

danbus

imported post

At first, I thought about NEVER obtaining a permit, but due to the fact that I like to shop at malls, might travel to other states, and by chance get pulled over, I would rather just have to gain certain benefits.

Of course I didn't like the fact I had to do XYZ just to "hide" my right, but I would like to think of it as I carry my firearm: I would just like to have options.

Yes I do have a permit. :)

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Back when I was a fool, I got one. I plan not to renew it if I can move my butt to WY soon enough.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

While having to obtain a permit, or license, to carry a firearm open or concealed is a violation of the Bill of Rights and I suspect most of the Constitutions of the several states, unless you live in Vermont or Alaska, you are faced with this reality. So yes, get the permit to cover your butt at those times when you cover your piece. Sad state of affairs for sure, but the way it is for the time being.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Personally, I have a LTCF, so it covers both OC and CC, since Indiana is a licensed opencarry state...

Having a permit to CC definately won't hurt you, it will make your carry options more flexible, as well as grant your reciprocity with some other locales.

If someone solicited my advice on the subject, I would have to say that a CC permit is not a bad idea, maybe not needed for the intended carry you do, but situations might arise where you would want to CC as it may be beneficial.

FogRider

imported post

I just got my permit recently, I didn't really want to spend the cash, but living in Aurora and working in Denver means I need one if I want to (legaly) carry to and from work. I OC most of the time, but I like to be able to let my shirt hang over it (when I go into a bank, for instance. Legal to OC, but thats one place I don't want to cause a scene.), or if I end up in Denver. That and it seems to calm people down just a little bit more when after explaining OC is legal if I can say "I also have a permit to conceal". I guess the thought is "well, he says it's legal, and he is trusted with a cc permit, I guess he is ok".

Drewesque

imported post

In a Constitutional world, we wouldn't have to jump through hoops for a pat on the head and a permit to exercise our rights. Since that's not reality for most locales, you have three options: Follow the law without concealing, Follow the law by jumping through their hoops (which may earn you other "priveleges," such as waiving waiting periods if your state has one), or Break the law because of your principles.

If it were done for another civil right, breaking the law for your principles would be considered civil disobedience and looked upon with high regard by some. Unfortunately, it is simply considered a firearms offense, and can cost you not only time and money, but even your right to bear arms.

Jumping through the hoops, of course, puts your name on a list. You not only did as you were told, but they also keep a list of folks, and it will undoubtedly aid them should they decide to take away our guns. It will increase your legal carry options, though.

Following the law without a permit can be a headache, especially in some areas. Oregon, for example, allows localities to ban firearms, but exempts concealed carry permit holders. And here in WA, those without the permit have a waiting period to contend with.

I'm sure there are other arguments for and against each of those options, also.

I don't ordinarily disclose whether I've ever jumped through the hoops, nor whether I even CC in publicat all. And this is no exception. Sorry, guys, but y'all know I carry, and that's more than enough information.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Legba wrote:
Here's a basic question: should I bother to get a concealed carry permit at all? I've never had one, and I OC exclusively because of it, but winter will be along soon enough, and I'm tired of having to pack/unpack my gun every time I get in and out of my car. I don't need one, strictly, so there's no real urgency about it either way. Still, it might be nice for the reciprocity and to have some kind of recent documented formal instruction etc. I may get one for myself for Christmas, say. Opinions?

-ljp
I've been thinking the same things over. I just hate that I am being "granted permission" the carry a gun, and the fact that for my wife and I to get training and permits, it's going to cost about $300. Seriously pisses me off. I already have enough money taken from me by the government, much less having to pay to be able to protect myself. :banghead:

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Legba wrote:

-ljp

It covers me legally and makes it more convenient. It will also help my wife and I a ton that we have it as we are going to Colorado at the end of the month cuz we have to be Utah Residents to carry CC if needed in CO.

It just makes things so much easier once you get it and NEVER have to think about the WHEN and the HOWS.

Legba

imported post

The punchline is that the local cops assume that I have one because I'm the token gun shop guy in town here. They don't even blink at my (empty) holsterat court any more.It would come out at a traffic stop though, so I don't propose pressing my luck. I'm still undecided, although I'm more or less having a blowout with my gf, so it may free up some discretionary money if she's out of the picture. Might be a good time to get something for the one I love (myself). We'll see.

-ljp

nickerj1

imported post

I have a CC permit. I CC when in malls that have "no weapons permitted" posted. I also CC when I am by myself and believe that weapon retention could potentially be an issue (sketchy neighborhoods). I'm not the biggest guy and travel alone a lot. I also CC if I'm armed and doing surveillances. I don't carry for 90% of my surveillances, though.

I would say to get one. You have more flexibility in your car with where you can have it. You can go onto private property that has "no weapons permitted" posted, which is probably the biggest advantage in my mind.

Legba

imported post

Yeah, the current Ohio law is confusing (in practice) despite the state preemption. Per the ORC, you can transport an unloaded gun either out with the action open, or in a case. There is no mention of ammo whatsoever. The old standard was that you had to exit the vehicle to be able to load a gun (or have a locked case for the ammo out of arms reach, blah, blah). I absolutely cannot find any reference to this in the current law, though, even though every cop will tell you this and will apply this standard if you are stopped without a permit. You ought to be able to have loaded magzines on your person or anywhere else in proximity to the unloaded gun as the law reads now. The police will not concede this, however.

Getting the concealed carry would render this moot, and it is getting tiresome handling a weapon every time I get in and out of the vehicle. People get nervous walking by when I'm loading my pistol at my car in the morning for work, but I can't transport it loaded, so what else can I do and still be compliant? Tedious. That and you have no protection against carjacking if you have to go unloaded while driving.

As for the "no weapons permitted" signage, it would constitute misdemeanor trespassing here to go armed into a place so designated (but then they wouldn't necessarily know if it's concealed). I'll consider it further when I'm $110 up (class and application fees).

-ljp