• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

unofficial poll

Marco

imported post

smile_angel.gif

DangerousDave

imported post

It depends on where you live and where you want to go.

I can open carry in almost all of Colorado, except the part that has a lot of the crime (unlicensed OC is illegal in Denver and will probably get you harassed in Arapahoe County), so I applied for a permit. I also visit Georgia and Tennesseeregularly (licensed open or concealed), soa permit is the way to go. I would prefer Vermont/Alaska style laws, but we don't have themin CO.For the present, I'll vote for politicians who will push to pass similar laws.

If you live in KY and seldomly go anywhere other than KY, WV or VA, it may not be worth the trouble.

Legba

imported post

"Hamiltucky" = Hamilton + Kentucky, but is really in Ohio - just some local humor. There are a lot of Appalachian types that settled here, so it's acquired the nick from that.

-ljp

lax

imported post

Here in Virginia, the permit allows you to buy more than one handgun per month.Recently I heard it was going to be alifetime permit but that got shot down.

Bubba Ron

imported post

lax wrote:
Here in Virginia, the permit allows you to buy more than one handgun per month.Recently I heard it was going to be alifetime permit but that got shot down.
It technically was not shot down, it was approved - BUT not funded. The results are definately the same though :X

tattedupboy

imported post

HankT wrote:
JB wrote:
How many people here have a concealed carry permit?

Quite a few, I expect.

Good question.
In Indiana, where I live, you can't OC or CC without the permit (incidentally, Indiana's permit is a permit to carry a handgun; it doesn't distinguish between OC and CC, although in Gary, where I live, OC, unless you're a security guard or LEO, is not socially accepted).

FogRider

imported post

tattedupboy wrote:
HankT wrote:
JB wrote:

Quite a few, I expect.

Good question.
In Indiana, where I live, you can't OC or CC without the permit (incidentally, Indiana's permit is a permit to carry a handgun; it doesn't distinguish between OC and CC, although in Gary, where I live, OC, unless you're a security guard or LEO, is not socially accepted).
Where is OC (or CC for that matter) socially accepted? But sarcasm aside, I have a chp, and carry both ways.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

FogRider wrote:
tattedupboy wrote:
HankT wrote:
JB wrote:

Quite a few, I expect.

Good question.
Where is OC (or CC for that matter) socially accepted? But sarcasm aside, I have a chp, and carry both ways.
Many different rights have been considered socially unexceptable or politically incorrect over the years as some are today. The only way that we can reverse this trend is through activism and participation in such as this blog, pro organizations as well as in our daily lives.

I have a permit to carry concealed but choose to open carry whenever I can - mostly on week-ends. I carry 24/7 at work and in my own home in any case. I have as of yet not had a serious negative encounter but have made a number of converts. I will continue to do what I believe so strongly in and will continue to expect positive results.

Yata hey

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

FogRider wrote:
tattedupboy wrote:
HankT wrote:
JB wrote:

Quite a few, I expect.

Good question.
Virginia seems to have quite a bit of social acceptance overall. There and in other OC states, acceptance can be pretty regional, even situational.

And CC is pretty well accepted in this country. Over 4 million carry permits/licenses are out there right now.

tattedupboy

imported post

Unfortunately, Gary, Indiana, like many (but not all) urban areas, is extremely hoplophobic. In fact, earlier this year, the county prosecutor was quoted as saying (sorry, I wish I could give a link, but I can't find one) that guns do not belong in the hands of civilians. Most of you on OCDO don't live here, so I wouldn't expect any of you to understand, but trust me when I tell you, that open carry by law abiding permit holders in Gary is an open invitation to being hassled by the police. It's not something you would ever want to be caught doing here. I personally don't like it, but that just the way things are here. Furthermore, I do not want to get hassled, therefore, when I'm not at work (I am a security guard) I only CC.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

tattedupboy wrote:
Unfortunately, Gary, Indiana, like many (but not all) urban areas, is extremely hoplophobic. In fact, earlier this year, the county prosecutor was quoted as saying (sorry, I wish I could give a link, but I can't find one) that guns do not belong in the hands of civilians. Most of you on OCDO don't live here, so I wouldn't expect any of you to understand, but trust me when I tell you, that open carry by law abiding permit holders in Gary is an open invitation to being hassled by the police. It's not something you would ever want to be caught doing here. I personally don't like it, but that just the way things are here. Furthermore, I do not want to get hassled, therefore, when I'm not at work (I am a security guard) I only CC.
Assuming open carry is legal, If you do not exercise the right you will lose it. Sounds like the process has already begun. I would suggest checking with a couple of good attornys and if all checked out in advance - proceed with open carry. Several well placed law suits as a result of harrassment, violation of rights will do wonders for the local LE/establishment attitudes. The higher the expense the more cooperative they become. No one ever said that protecting our rights was easy.

Insofar as understanding your situation in Gary, I was raised in Nebraska and lived in Maryland beofre becoming a full fledged Virginian so I have seen all extremes.

Yata hey

Superlite27

imported post

Missouri is a great state, but we're a little bass-ackwards. Anyone can open carry on their property or in their vehicle. You can apply for a CCW which allows you to carry concealed anywhere.

Open carry anywhere is a crapshoot. The wierd thing about Missouri is that state law specifically says "concealed". This means that if you have a permit and conceal your weapon, you are good to go. But, if you open carry in public, it will depend on what county you are in. There are several counties that expressly prohibit open carry. Therefore, if you happen to be open carrying while driving across the state, you may enter an unfriendly county that will charge you with "brandishing". (Even though it is in a holster.)

The scariest thing is open carrying in the city of St. Louis. It is in NO county whatsoever. I've heard of St. Louis police being told to confiscate any open carried firearm not carried by police.

Here's the kicker: You are allowed to go to the courthouse and file an appeal to recieve your firearm back. You need an attorney and there's a fee for court costs, storage fees, etc. It ends up being about a $1000 all told.

Hmmm. They know they've got you by the short and curlies. $1000 bucks to get your gun back, or buy a new one? You're screwed either way.

I talk to so many people that would rather conceal than open carry. A friend of mine even refers to concealing as his "Ace in the hole".

I don't know why. I feel that I would rather deter a criminal from choosing me as a victim by open carrying than actually having to use it by the criminal not knowing I have it. Shooting people is serious stuff. I cringe when I hear people talk about "surprising" criminals, or "having an ace in the hole". It isn't a game. I think avoiding the entire situation by letting the entire world know I'm packing a big ass .45 full of nasty ol' Hydra-shocks is the way to go.

LaneAtomic

imported post

+1 mate. As an armed guard, the reason we openly carry is to deter crime. We're handling a TON of money every day, and we don't want people trying to take it.

We're paid to look good with a gun. We were actually taught in class to let the police handle it, and use the gun only as a last resort backup... but this could be PRIL talking.

AbNo

imported post

I'm taking the apathy route with getting a permit.

I don't leave the house that much anyway, and I typically only go places I can carry. :celebrate

Legba

imported post

After my experience with the police earlier this week, I think I'll go ahead and get the permit. Not that I concede that I did anything improper, but the permit will pay for itself 3 times over by avoiding impound fees when the cops bust you for bogus CCW/improper transport charges. My xmas present to myself. Thanks for the responses anyway.

-ljp

p.s. Good news: the local police offer the class for $65 and I asked the detective if I could get the tuition comped or discounted for all the referrals I've given them, and he said we could work something out, so not all LEOs are satanic evil rotten sadistic prick bastards (sorry - still a tad bitter).

Demarest

imported post

Licensing is an infringement upon our Second Amendment rights. If I could go back and not get mine out of civil disobedience, I probably would. Come time for renewal, I doubt I will. Even if they don't pass that law saying that if you qualify for one, you don't need to get one. The entire process is racist in nature anyways.

However, being in Ohio myself, I fully understand one's desire to get one just to aleviate transportation restrictions. NO law-abiding citizen should have to disarm just because he's piloting a much larger bullet capable of inflicting a LOT more damage anyways. There's no basis for it. Anti's will tell you of fender-benders turning into bloodbaths, but when/where? It hasn't happened because that's not why we're armed. Hell, I just read of a minor rear-ending in Ohio where the victim, the guilty, and the police on scene spent time just discussing guns. What do the anti's say about that then?

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Legba wrote:
"Hamiltucky" = Hamilton + Kentucky, but is really in Ohio - just some local humor. There are a lot of Appalachian types that settled here, so it's acquired the nick from that.

-ljp
Kentuckiansare no longer RedNecks but Politically Correct Appalachian Americans:lol:

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Demarest wrote:
Licensing is an infringement upon our Second Amendment rights. If I could go back and not get mine out of civil disobedience, I probably would. Come time for renewal, I doubt I will. Even if they don't pass that law saying that if you qualify for one, you don't need to get one. The entire process is racist in nature anyways.

However, being in Ohio myself, I fully understand one's desire to get one just to aleviate transportation restrictions. NO law-abiding citizen should have to disarm just because he's piloting a much larger bullet capable of inflicting a LOT more damage anyways. There's no basis for it. Anti's will tell you of fender-benders turning into bloodbaths, but when/where? It hasn't happened because that's not why we're armed. Hell, I just read of a minor rear-ending in Ohio where the victim, the guilty, and the police on scene spent time just discussing guns. What do the anti's say about that then?
RON PAUL for President:celebrate

XCon

imported post

Get a concealed permit eventhough u may not need it but it helps especially during traffic stop at night. When they run you plates, it shows up on VCIN that you are legally armed. That way patrol officers know who they dealing with. "Cops will always shoot first and ask questions later"

Demarest

imported post

Police need to approach each stop as if a weapon is present because there is one: THEIR's. No citizen should get one just to feed something we should be starving.