• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No OC St. George Walmart

sedjester

imported post

As I was walking into Walmart last night the door greeter greeted me and when she saw my sidearm she stopped me and asked if I was a police officer. I told her no and she said I couldn't go in. She then got the head cashier who used a radio to get the assistant manager. He comes out and tells me I can't go in there with my gun unless I'm LEO.

I told him I was lawfully carrying it and that I was under the impression that Walmart follows the laws of the state regarding firearms. He said it was Walmart policy and he could let me in if I unloaded it and let him hang on to it. I told him that I wouldn't give up my firearm and that I would take my money elsewhere. Then I left and went to Albertson's across the street and nobody there said anything about it.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

With the number of incidents I read about WalMart Workers doing this, even when it's not Policy; I'd just avoid the place anyway. As if there weren't a truckload of reasons to do that anyway.

I've quit shopping there already, even though OC doesn't exist where I live.

xmirage2kx

imported post

When asked to leave, you should comply, regardless if it is legal. I would ask for a written policy next time you go in (if there is a next time).

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I wonder how it would work to immediately comply with a friendly, "Yes, sir/ma'am. Didn't mean to break the rules."

Then come back the same trip or later and ask very friendly about the policy, names of people, that sort of thing. Then follow up to clear it up, again ina very friendly way. Omitting any hint of complaint. Take the high road, as it were.

I ask this because I wonder if we don't damage our image by being contrary or asking slightly confrontational questions. Few can stay mad at you very long if you are being nice. Plus, if there is any chance of themchanging their mind, this is the only method that lets them do it with grace. Otherwise, I'm afraid they'll just dig in and resist.

Tidewater

imported post

Has anyone had any trouble in Wal-Mart or any other store while CC? Considering it must be hard to spot anyways...Im just curious if anyone has been stopped by the greeters because they were concealing.

b1ack5mith

imported post

no... but i had to take in my rifle, the day i bought it, (they didnt remove the special safety) and they didnt let me in! (no ammo, triggerlok was on too!) i had to wait next to the greeter

combatcarry

imported post

Sounds likeI need to take a trip to the Wal-Mart and see if I get the same results. Was it the one in Bloomington, or Washington?

sedjester

imported post

xmirage2kx wrote:
When asked to leave, you should comply, regardless if it is legal. I would ask for a written policy next time you go in (if there is a next time).

I agree, it would be trespassing otherwise. The greeter and the head cashier wanted me to wait by the security devices while they got the assistant manager to make the decision. When the assistant manager got there he motioned for me to follow him outside to have the conversation, which I politely did.

I had a brief conversation with him in which he said he could not even suggest that I put it in my vehicle (liability reason perhaps) but I was not allowed in with it. The whole conversation I had with the assistant manager was out in the parking lot. It was a polite conversation, people walking by didn't even seem to take notice.

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

Citizen wrote:
I wonder how it would work to immediately comply with a friendly, "Yes, sir/ma'am. Didn't mean to break the rules."

Then come back the same trip or later and ask very friendly about the policy, names of people, that sort of thing. Then follow up to clear it up, again ina very friendly way. Omitting any hint of complaint. Take the high road, as it were.

I ask this because I wonder if we don't damage our image by being contrary or asking slightly confrontational questions. Few can stay mad at you very long if you are being nice. Plus, if there is any chance of themchanging their mind, this is the only method that lets them do it with grace. Otherwise, I'm afraid they'll just dig in and resist.
Would you say the same thing if a black man and a white friend walked in unarmed and were told "sorry, no black men allowed. You sir, Mr. Whiteguy, you can go on in, but we're gonna keep an eye on the black guy here."?

You may not think it's the same thing but it really is. How many of our "civil rights" weren't recognized until enough people demanded they become law?

LoveMyCountry

sedjester

imported post

zoom6zoom wrote:
and let him hang on to it.
Riiiiight. Prove to me you're not a prohibited person, buddy. And where are your lockers for securing said items?
And where are the armed guards inside to protect us since we are unarmed. No thanks Walmart. I'll take my business elsewhere, vote with my feet and money.

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

If you give your gun to the manager, wouldn't that make him a man with a gun? Maybe he's the only one "qualified" to carry a gun. :banghead:

Can't you just imagine an anti playing with your gun while "securing" it in his office?:what:

LoveMyCountry

freedom1776

imported post

Tidewater wrote:
Has anyone had any trouble in Wal-Mart or any other store while CC? Considering it must be hard to spot anyways...Im just curious if anyone has been stopped by the greeters because they were concealing.

Yes in Ohio a man was in a walmart and his CC firearm became visible, police were called and I don't think he was arrested but they took his gun and the case went to the prosecuter's office.

The problem was that apparently there were to many beer drive through's on that block and the state can only issue so many licenses in so much of an area so the only way this Walmart could get their liquire license was to apply for an "open bar" license.

There were signs on theWalmart doorsthat were the same as if you were in a bar, "if you are under 21 you may be commiting a felony...." But they were on sliding doors and when the signs opened the signs disapeered.

Because of the signs being improperly posted and them not actually serving alcohal for onsite consumption the prosectuer said he didn't have anough evidence and dropped the case but...

This Walmart as a "open bar" license and technically it is state property since they have a state liquer license... but they sell firearms inside!!!!

lockman

State Researcher
imported post

LoveMyCountry wrote:
If you give your gun to the manager, wouldn't that make him a man with a gun? Maybe he's the only one "qualified" to carry a gun. :banghead:

Can't you just imagine an anti playing with your gun while "securing" it in his office?:what:

LoveMyCountry

They (greeter & Asst. manager) are confusing Wal-mart policy governing employees and extending them to customers. The management and employees are prohibited from possessing firearms in Wal-Mart not the customers. They want everyone to share in their misery!

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

LoveMyCountry wrote:
SNIP Would you say the same thing if a black man and a white friend walked in unarmed and were told "sorry, no black men allowed. You sir, Mr. Whiteguy, you can go on in, but we're gonna keep an eye on the black guy here."?

You may not think it's the same thing but it really is. How many of our "civil rights" weren't recognized until enough people demanded they become law?

LoveMyCountry

Good point.

I think the main difference is that civil rights became law by the demand being made on the government. I think some rioting and marches helped.

With regard to individual businesses and locations, I'm wondering if the old catch-more-flies-with-honey approach might not get us further. Heck, why not take it a step further and write a letter of appreciation to WalMart today thanking them for their pro-gun policies (including selling ammo and long arms)? Make it a campaign.

b1ack5mith

imported post

Lockman, youre right, id ask them to show me the policy, and have a higherup tell me that i cant, then id tell them that they would lose a very large % of customers if they didnt let me in (out of alllll the CARRYING people in utah, i heard that utah county has 19% of all the CONSEALEDcarryers, do the math...) ;) they would pretty much go out of business if all carriers stopped shopping there :)

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

I certainly wouldn't shop there, and if the one I go to on ocassion ever tells me no, I won't go again, fortunately I have not had this problem ... yet.

I don't think walmart would go out of business from 19% of its base, and I don't think 19% (all of the cc'ers) would leave, walmart has a lot of people 'locked' due to financial reasons, unfortunately the service and prices of the mom and pop stores has left most areas.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

zoom6zoom wrote:
and let him hang on to it.
Riiiiight. Prove to me you're not a prohibited person, buddy. And where are your lockers for securing said items?
I would look for a law that could get them in trouble for doing this, assuming one exists... Give them the firearm (while cc'ing a bug) then call the police.