• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Jeep Wave

JB

imported post

A while back I was considering purchasing a Jeep. I decided to do some research on the net and discovered that jeep owners have some tradition of waving to each other. Is anyone aware of an OC wave? If not it may be time to lay out the ground rules for such a wave. If I'm not mistaken, old CJ's had some kind of seniority to newer jeeps, so maybe the 1911 would assume the roll of the CJ? I'm half kidding here, but seriously what's the etiquette?

tapper95

imported post

As far as an open carry wave,wouldn't that bebrandishing? ;)

As far as the Jeep wave, it's definitely a Jeep thing... My best friend in High School had a CJ-5 (which he rolled) and then a CJ-7... Everywhere we went other jeeps waved at us...

The thing about CJ's being superier to newer jeeps has been fixed, kind of... When Chrysler bought AMC (parent company of Jeep) they made some changes to the Jeep... most of them bad and most of them made the Jeep a weaker vehicle... Those are the YJ's or Wranglers, the ones with square headlights...Then Chrysler finally got enough hate mail and made them better again with the TJ line in 1996, I believe... and put round headlights on them again... so the rule of thumb is round headlights on a jeep means it's a good jeep...

During the YJ years, a real Jeep guy wouldn't be caught dead in one of those square headlight things... They were wider to help with the roll problem, but that was the only good thing about them...

TheTJ Rubicon is supposed to be as good as anything Jeep has ever made... comes standardwith lockers and a lot of other things that Jeep enthusiasts add aftermarket... and from what I hear, the stuff is good, not just factory junk that you need to replace...

who_dat

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Was that necessary?document.write('/images/emoticons/cuss.gif');
cuss.gif

bourneshooter

imported post

Speaking of jeeps.

A coupld months ago I saw an '80s era Toyota 4runner - the two door model. It was lifted with some serious muddin tires. Also had the baddest river fording snorkel I had seen in a long time.

Emblazened across the windshield were the words, "You're right, I don't understand.":celebrate

Basic Guy

imported post

Years ago I lived in an area south of Tucson out in the desert. Hard to say it was a "community" as there was no store or any other facilities - just a few dozen homes scattered on a few hundred acres of desert.

Everybody out there would wave at each other asthey passed - driving, walking, horseback, or on bikes.

As I did my daily run - either early morningor evening before or after work - I always ran with a rifle at port arms. Usually an AK or an M1A with magazine and loaded.The same rule applied - I would wave at anybody driving by and they would wave back.

I could always tell when the driver was nota local : no wave. Sometimes just a drop-jawed stare in amazement.

bourneshooter

imported post

Around my neck of the woods, all the guys who drive vehicles like mine - think large people hauling 4WD - all nod/wave at eac other. Mutual Respect.

FogRider

imported post

bourneshooter wrote:
Around my neck of the woods, all the guys who drive vehicles like mine - think large people hauling 4WD - all nod/wave at eac other. Mutual Respect.

'Bout the same where I grew up. Nobody waves in Denver. :(

IdahoCorsair

State Researcher
imported post

bourneshooter wrote:

You must do a lot of noding/waving. :p

bourneshooter

imported post

IdahoCorsair wrote:
bourneshooter wrote:

You must do a lot of noding/waving. :p

Actually, not as much as you Ada County city slickers might think. :lol: