• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Does this look like anything illegal happened?

reefteach

imported post

Should the activity of Tom Meyer of Channel 19 in Cleveland be reported to the ATF Hotline at 1-800-ATF-GUNS (1-800-283-4867) for his involvement with this crime? Watch and see for yourself:

http://www.woio.com/global/video/popup/pop_player.asp?ClipID1=1675960&h1=Hidden%20Camera%3A%20Anyone%20Can%20Buy%20A%20Gun%20in%20Cleveland&vt1=v&at1=News&d1=150300&LaunchPageAdTag=Homepage&activePane=info&playerVersion=1&hostPageUrl=http%3A//www.woio.com/&rnd=29687708

Has Bloomberg has given reporters the idea that straw purchases are OK?

On a side note, that mayor is a terrible speaker. The report is worthless on many levels also.

VAopencarry

imported post

Well I do not know if the ATF has anything on the reporter. I think that would depend on the reporters level of involvement in 'setting up' the purchase.The felon is an idiot for agreeing to do that, HE can go to jail. On another note....... If I was the seller I would have a lawsuit against the TV station for video taping ME in my own HOME!!!! I don't know what the laws in OH are in this matter but I would want someone's ass!!

Anyone can buy a gun in Cleveland

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I think this ranks up with the fools that video tape themselves beating the homeless. Do they think that just becasue they are the media they can commit crimes and it's all ok? Kind like checkpoints. It's ok to break the law as long as you publicly announce your intentions to do so?

DrewGunner

imported post

Tom Meyer is the reporter, right? I'm not sure if he did anything wrong. He's just trying to show people how easy it is to buy guns. That kinda be like busting that Chris Hansen guy from dateline because he was involved with unaged sex.

I think that is a serious problem though. But, how do to stop it??? That is the question. Make it illegal for people to privately sell or buy guns? (my opinion, no). Make people call and do a background check when there sell a gun, like they do at the gun shops? (don't think thats gonna work). Make it illegal for felons to own guns? (i think thats already illegal). Or should felons be able to own guns, maybe some of they? (doesn't sound like this guy committed any violent crimes, just stealin cars. Yes, I think stealing cars is bad).

What is the penalty for owning a gun if your a felon?

reefteach

imported post

I was watching a show where they interviewed a spokesperson for the NRA.

Q(interviewer): How can we keep the guns out of the hands of criminals?

A(NRA): We can't.

So true.

Tomahawk

imported post

reefteach wrote:
I was watching a show where they interviewed a spokesperson for the NRA.

Q(interviewer): How can we keep the guns out of the hands of criminals?

A(NRA): We can't.

So true.
It is true. And to all the antis who may be reading this: It's called freedom. Get over it.

MetalChris

imported post

You just sold a gun to a convicted felon,do you have any thoughts onthat?

ROFLMAO!!! That's got to be one of the funniest/dumbest questions I've ever heard! It ranks up there with the reporters that ask a football team that's just won the Super Bowl if they're happy about it...

WhiteFeather

imported post

Maybe Ohio has different state law. But in PA you cannot just sell a handgun out of your house legally. You have to have it transfered via gunshop or notary and I believe they do a backround check there. I could be mistaken but I am pretty sure that is how the law reads. Long arms are a different story I think you can just sell them with no transfer. I am not claiming that to be 100% correct but that is how I understood it. And with tha being said that is the only way I would go about it. It costs $20 for a backround and $3 for the phone call. If you want one of my firearms that is a cost you will have to cover. I think this guy was wrong in just selling a gun and I think it gives people like us a bad name.

VAopencarry

imported post

But in PA you cannot just sell a handgun out of your house legally.

Please provide a source.

I think this guy was wrong in just selling a gun

How is that? A citizen shouldn't sell his gun within the boundry's of the law? He should be "extra legal".? Should he also only drive 45mph in 55mph zone?

freedom1776

imported post

omfg, city of cleveland is all pissed because HB-347 went into effect in March '07 and they can't keep people from carry'ing guns in parks anymore. The local pre-empt had nothing to do with the private sale of firearms unless the city of cleveland had a law that said "no private sale of firearms"

Then there is the "gun crimes are up 33% in the past year because of it" The local pre-empt was 6 months ago, where are they getting the 1 year ago stuff???

Legba

imported post

WhiteFeather wrote:
Maybe Ohio has different state law. But in PA you cannot just sell a handgun out of your house legally. You have to have it transfered via gunshop or notary and I believe they do a backround check there. I could be mistaken but I am pretty sure that is how the law reads. Long arms are a different story I think you can just sell them with no transfer. I am not claiming that to be 100% correct but that is how I understood it. And with tha being said that is the only way I would go about it. It costs $20 for a backround and $3 for the phone call. If you want one of my firearms that is a cost you will have to cover. I think this guy was wrong in just selling a gun and I think it gives people like us a bad name.
Private sales in Ohio are relatively unfettered. You juts have to make sure that the buyer is of age and (for a handgun) a resident of Ohio- no FFL broker, no NICS check, although you can't transfer a weapon if you have any reason to believe the recipient is a prohibited person (yet without being required to check).

-ljp

hogleg

imported post

Hmm wonder which is worse. Unwittingly selling a gun to a felon, or helping a known felon purchase a firearm illegally while recording it.The reporter and the felon should be behind bars charged.

The owner probably should have asked.

Legba

imported post

Helping a known felon is definitely worse. I don't think the reporter is going to get far with a judge trying to invoke some kind of 1st amendment press immunity - there ain't one.

The audio for this link won't work on my machine for some reason, but I have a professional curiosity about the details of this transaction.

-ljp

tapper95

imported post

Virginia is the same...This is where the unknowledgable liberals base their theory of a "Gun show loophole"... It is legal for me to sell my property to someone else...

With the current situation of the news trying to make sensationalized stories and catch people with hidden cameras, I would not sell a firearm to anyone I didn't know... but that's because I'm paranoid... Bloomberg has set a dangerous precedent... I'm still upset that no charges were filed against him for directing people into criminal activity... On the same basis, that cameraman had no assurance that hi accomplice would not just run when he got the gun... How was he going to stop him? With his hidden camera? That's the equivalent to helping a child molester kidnap a kid and then bringing the kid back and saying: "Just joking."

Here, let me show you how easy it is to break into a car... and we're going to use this guys car, who doesn't know that we are committing a crime...

The cameraman just facilitated a crime and nobody is gowing to do a darn thing about it... good job, you just gave another criminal the idea to browse the papers for a gun...

ijusam

imported post

hogleg wrote:
Hmm wonder which is worse. Unwittingly selling a gun to a felon, or helping a known felon purchase a firearm illegally while recording it.The reporter and the felon should be behind bars charged.

The owner probably should have asked.
yes he should have asked. no way a felon is going to lie about being a felon while trying to buy a gun.