Thread: Treating a wet holster/gun mag holster

Post imported post

So, I'll spare the details...but I have a spare leather magazine holster (Desantis) that was completely submerged in water today and became water logged. I have set it out to allow it to dry, but am wondering if there are others out there who are either leather workers or people who know how to ensure that leather is properly treated after having been submerged.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

vrwmiller wrote:
    So, I'll spare the details...but I have a spare leather magazine holster (Desantis) that was completely submerged in water today and became water logged. I have set it out to allow it to dry, but am wondering if there are others out there who are either leather workers or people who know how to ensure that leather is properly treated after having been submerged.
    My DeSantis owner's card said not to treat the holster with oils, creams, etc. If I recall, the idea was that they would soften the leather and undo the rigidity.

I'd just let it air dry. Maybe well-oil the mag, wrap it in a bread wrapper, and push it into the holster. Takethemag out and re-oil every day. Bill Jordan recommended something like this forbreaking in a new holster in his book, "No Second Place Winner."
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

I'm no leather worker, but those good old Altamas the military has been issuing a while seem to do all right, even after being two-three feet in Georgia mud.

But maybe that's different.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post

I agree with Citizen: put the magazine in a plastic bag and stick it in the wet holster to let it dry, that way it will dry into the correct shape.

Post imported post

Ok, I let it air dry overnight. It's as rigid, if not more, than it was Friday. Has retained the original shape. Thanks.

Post imported post

I agree.. let it air dry...

And while it is drying... tell us what happened!

Post imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
    And while it is drying... tell us what happened!
    It got wet.

Post imported post

I wore mine to an amusement park (Busch Gardens, no signs, no metal detectors, bag searches) with a few rides that soak you pretty well. Pulled mag and let it dry under my ceiling fan with the gun in it. That was several weeks ago. Holster is actually a little better shape now.
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

https://gunthreadadapters.com

"Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.