• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Treating a wet holster/gun mag holster

vrwmiller

imported post

So, I'll spare the details...but I have a spare leather magazine holster (Desantis) that was completely submerged in water today and became water logged. I have set it out to allow it to dry, but am wondering if there are others out there who are either leather workers or people who know how to ensure that leather is properly treated after having been submerged.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

vrwmiller wrote:
So, I'll spare the details...but I have a spare leather magazine holster (Desantis) that was completely submerged in water today and became water logged. I have set it out to allow it to dry, but am wondering if there are others out there who are either leather workers or people who know how to ensure that leather is properly treated after having been submerged.

My DeSantis owner's card said not to treat the holster with oils, creams, etc. If I recall, the idea was that they would soften the leather and undo the rigidity.

I'd just let it air dry. Maybe well-oil the mag, wrap it in a bread wrapper, and push it into the holster. Takethemag out and re-oil every day. Bill Jordan recommended something like this forbreaking in a new holster in his book, "No Second Place Winner."

AbNo

imported post

I'm no leather worker, but those good old Altamas the military has been issuing a while seem to do all right, even after being two-three feet in Georgia mud.

But maybe that's different.

Wooley

imported post

I agree with Wooley. Tell us what happened!!!

Oh, and from personal experience with hockey gear that is leather, just air dry it. I know gun leather and the stuff used in my hockey equipment are distant cousins, but hey. There ya go.

vrwmiller

imported post

Ok, I let it air dry overnight. It's as rigid, if not more, than it was Friday. Has retained the original shape. Thanks.

LEO 229

imported post

I agree.. let it air dry...

And while it is drying... tell us what happened!

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I wore mine to an amusement park (Busch Gardens, no signs, no metal detectors, bag searches) with a few rides that soak you pretty well. Pulled mag and let it dry under my ceiling fan with the gun in it. That was several weeks ago. Holster is actually a little better shape now.