• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

GMU, how could you?

Kendo_Bunny

imported post

Well, it wasn't by a student... and everyone knows that non-students never come on campus with intent of committing crimes...... OH WAIT!

sjhipple

imported post

Kendo_Bunny wrote:
Well, it wasn't by a student... and everyone knows that non-students never come on campus with intent of committing crimes...... OH WAIT!

Believe it or not, this argument was recently made in a recent article: http://broadsideonline.com/08-27-2007/nogunsoncampus.html

Problems (as I see it): Schools underrport their crime by saying that things that happen on public sidewalks, etc are not "on campus." Students also do not report most crime (only 35% do according to what I've seen).

In addition rape occurs at a higher rate ON campuses than off. The strong prey on the weak, as always.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

College campuses are an extremely concentrated, victim rich environments. A proliferation of less experienced people, cash, credit cards, electronics and young females gathered together in an area ideally suited for the criminal mind. And then they are without the single most effective means to protect and defend themselves.
No wonder that violent crime occurs there. How could it not?

Yet, the college administrators would have us believe that we are safe because they tell us so. Adults, that have been authorized to carry weapons in virtually the entire state and do so safely, are disarmed when setting foot on the hallowed ground of these institutions - they can do longer be trusted to be responsible. What hypocricy!

Tell us how education and weapons, safety and weapons, alcohol and weapons, drugs and weapons cannot be allowed together. Lump all feared things in one basket and throw them out. After all you have been so good at controling substance abuse by banning such activitites. Wave the flag of false prophets. Scare us about what will happen if responsible adults are allowed to be responsible adults. Frighten the parents of this county's future leaders with tales of arguments settled with a handgun. Lie to us and tell us that your campus is safe and that you are doing everything that you can to keep it that way and weep with us when an isolated incident occurs.

Everything that that you truly wish to prevent is already illegal: murder, rape, armed robbery, car jacking et al but laws do not halt crime do they. There will always be a criminal element looking to prey on us. You cannot change that; you cannot legislate that out of existance. You cannot protect us. The police cannot protect us. Only we are responsible for our own safety. You take away our safety tools and tell us that now we are all safer?

I'm sorry. I am thinking for myself and you prefer to do that for me.

Yata hey